Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I was recently waitlisted for saver biz (polaris) on a IAH-EZE flight, but it didn't clear. At T-24, they offered me 845$ for the upgrade to Polaris, which I took. Since I had only paid 30K (saver, cc owner) for the 1W flight from SFO_IAH_EZE, I figured it was a pretty decent deal. Did two tix that way.
At $1.7K and 60K miles for a RT in business, that seems to be about the lowest you can get on any international route in my experience - whether miles and copay or buying Y,B,M and using GPUs. I detect a pattern that this is usually around the floor. Certainly if I see that approximate cost, I get it.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: Independent
$829 from LHR to EWR on November 4 (Saturday) afternoon flight; I'm Gold. I took the offer and enjoyed the rest. There were unfilled first class seats on the flight, as well as many empty rows in coach (so perhaps not the wisest decision).
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Artpen100
At $1.7K and 60K miles for a RT in business, that seems to be about the lowest you can get on any international route in my experience - whether miles and copay or buying Y,B,M and using GPUs. I detect a pattern that this is usually around the floor. Certainly if I see that approximate cost, I get it.
Indeed.. well if UA considers miles to be "worth" 2cents, (I put it more at 1-1.5 cents depending) then that's about 2900$ all in for that route. Pricing on UA was about 4.5-5K over various periods and AA was about 3200$ at one point, but ending at 4500$ for a cash ticket. As I only did OW for 30K plus the ~850$, I can't really say if I would have gotten total at 1700$ for the cash upgrade pricing. In the end, the buyer (me) and apparently the seller (UA) got something they both wanted and felt comfortable if not all out happy with.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
$1609 for this gold (will be platinum after this flight) GRU-IAH. Flight will go out with 9 empty in J.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by segiddins
$1609 for this gold (will be platinum after this flight) GRU-IAH. Flight will go out with 9 empty in J.
Did you take it???😛
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by segiddins
Originally Posted by getagb
Did you take it???😛
Or say "NO!" and give it back?

David
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by getagb
Did you take it???😛
I enjoyed having 22 A/B all to myself. Truly don’t understand the pricing strategy here, it’d be one thing if they were close to filling the J cabin, but they weren’t... I do wonder if the Brazilian point of sale on the ticket might’ve screwed up the price? As 1600 reals would’ve been more in line with what I was expecting.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I booked CLE-ORD-PDX/PDX-IAH-CLE (738->739 and A320->E145) to visit my mother for her birthday in FEB... was planning on (and am) trying to burn RPUs since I have way more than I'll ever use.

Anyway, after I made the purchase the offer was $99 CLE-ORD, $199 ORD-PDX, $209 PDX-IAH...and...$159 IAH-CLE on a single cabin aircraft.

I declined all but I'm really curious what would have happened had I accepted that buy-up offer... money into a black hole? Sudden aircraft swap to accommodate my wishes for a 2-cabin aircraft? Auto refund? .

The RPU process which I did immediately after ticketing on the other hand was very aware that it was a single cabin AC ("Economy Confirmed/Economy only aircraft" vs/ "Economy Confirmed/United First waitlisted"
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JHIN
Does United make these upsell offers if Im flying on an award ticket?
My son who has no status on United booked a last minute (day before) award ticket from SFO-BOS for 12,500 miles. (draining his MP account) After completing the transaction ($5.60) he was offered an upgrade to J for $295. No brainer - he jumped on it and enjoyed his lie flat on the 757 since getting a preferred seat in coach would have been $129.00
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Booked a round-trip MCI-DEN for the end of the month. Outbound booked as a W fare, return as a K fare.

$119 upgrade offer each way.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I was trying to upgrade a friend of mine using certs and noticed that she had the following offers for her flights:
Toronto to Newark: $ 868
Newark to LAX: $ 2,270

She could have bought up for both flights at the same time for $3,087, for a savings of one whole dollar!

I discussed the options with her, but she wasn't game.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I bought a $460 multi-city ticket from New York to the Dominican Republic a few days ago, flying into PUJ and then departing POP about 10 days later. At the time of purchase, the one-way fare difference between economy and business was $202 for the New York to PUJ segment. Right after confirming the ticket, a pop-up appeared offering a buy-up to business — for over $1,000 for the New York to PUJ segment. I declined, obviously.

A few hours later, still within the 24-hour free-cancellation period, I checked the "upgrade flight" link, which offered the same one-way upgrade for about $450. I declined that, too. After that, I clicked the "change flights" link, selected the New York to PUJ segment, and selected business class, and it offered me the change/upgrade for ... the same $202 fare difference that I could have booked at originally (with no change fee).

I have a long first day in the D.R., so I decided to take that offer, even though my upgrade odds are probably very good. However, even though the charge was authorized at $202 on my credit card, the charge just posted today at $236. Anyone have this happen before? Other than situations where a tip is added after the authorization, I can't ever recall having a charge post at a higher amount than the authorization.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I bought a $460 multi-city ticket from New York to the Dominican Republic a few days ago, flying into PUJ and then departing POP about 10 days later. At the time of purchase, the one-way fare difference between economy and business was $202 for the New York to PUJ segment. Right after confirming the ticket, a pop-up appeared offering a buy-up to business — for over $1,000 for the New York to PUJ segment. I declined, obviously.

A few hours later, still within the 24-hour free-cancellation period, I checked the "upgrade flight" link, which offered the same one-way upgrade for about $450. I declined that, too. After that, I clicked the "change flights" link, selected the New York to PUJ segment, and selected business class, and it offered me the change/upgrade for ... the same $202 fare difference that I could have booked at originally (with no change fee).

I have a long first day in the D.R., so I decided to take that offer, even though my upgrade odds are probably very good. However, even though the charge was authorized at $202 on my credit card, the charge just posted today at $236. Anyone have this happen before? Other than situations where a tip is added after the authorization, I can't ever recall having a charge post at a higher amount than the authorization.
There've been multiple reports of the upsell charging the credit card more than what you authorized. I had one with a $106 overcharge a few months ago. Thanks to warnings on FT I screen shot the "I agree" page with the lower price, before pressing the button to purchase. When I sent that to the UA refund center via the web page, they refunded the excess within a few days.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:37 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The pop up offer for HKG-SFO on 11/30 was $2059, with many open seats. I declined and instead UPG'd with $600+30k miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.