Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:23 am

UA1470 EWR-SDQ on 3/11 air return to EWR.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yesterday

UA962 EWR-TXL 763 cancelled due to operations .... second time in 3 days!

naturally today's TXL-EWR also cancelled
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
Now waiting for the customer care offer from UA. What is typically offered for a delay of this length?
They seem to have offered to rebook on LH, which you declined, so you might not get that much.
Neat to have the cabin almost empty though! Good call!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
They seem to have offered to rebook on LH, which you declined, so you might not get that much.
no, the automatic offer comes regardless. Different issue w/ EC reg 261
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
EWR-TXL cancelled again today! Due to the Berlin ground services strike though

Flying this tomorrow and hoping the strike doesn't get prolonged
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by narvik
Customer Care e-mail received. As a 1K on a W fare I was offered 15K miles or $300 travel credit. I will hold off on making choice until after I resolve the issue of the additional hotel night costs.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
no, the automatic offer comes regardless.
There's not always an automatic offer. I've received them less than the half the time they've been warranted over the past few years (and yes, I see that OP did get one . . . .)
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's not always an automatic offer. I've received them less than the half the time they've been warranted over the past few years (and yes, I see that OP did get one . . . .)
I said it is independent of declining a re-route offer ... yes, I know, UA IT is buggy ...
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
3/11 UA89 EWR-PEK 772 delayed 3 hours due to aircraft maintenance
3/12 UA88 PEK-EWR 772 delayed 3 hours due to late inbound
3/12 UA90 EWR-TLV 772 currently delayed 1 hour due to late inbound
Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:53 pm

Mar 13 UA840 CNX

March 13, 2017 Monday's UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled due to maintenance.

Not sure if everyone was accommodated on the UA870 SYD-SFO with a scheduled departure time an hour later, but the seat map does show a couple of unoccupied seats in Economy.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen

Not sure if everyone was accommodated on the UA870 SYD-SFO with a scheduled departure time an hour later, but the seat map does show a couple of unoccupied seats in Economy.
UA840 cancelled after UA870 left, so no.

Many coach pax have rebooked on UA840 or UA870 for Tuesday. A number of biz class pax were told no biz space available on Tuesday and were offered the option of taking biz class seats on Weds or coach on Tuesday.

Biz and status pax were being put up at the Sydney Airport Pullman, non-status coach pax were being sent to the Ibis and other hotels.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 11:57 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Aspen

HOW CAN THESE BRAND NEW 789s BE SO UNRELIABLE!???
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
no, the automatic offer comes regardless.
Didn't say it wouldn't.
I was under the impression that the offer might not be as much if UA could offer an alternative to the 12.5 hour wait. Maybe this is a wrong assumption on my part?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
The Berlin airports ground staff strike has been extended a day, so in theory today's 962 would be affected. Whereas yesterday's flight was cancelled, they're telling me that they have their own ground staff arranged now and so far the flight is still showing on schedule.

Anyone have experience with something like this? Am I in for trouble later? I have a number of other options into Hamburg or Leipzig but so far am not eligible for free changes of course.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors , Marriott Silver, Starwood Silver, Hertz Gold
UA 840 13 Mar SYD-LAX cancelled

What a mess SYD was on Monday when they cancelled UA 840. After hours of delay they finally cancelled around 12:45 pm. Of course all other LAX/SFO flights had left and all remaining ANZ or other flights that might possible get me home were sold out. I was in paid Biz class and they told us to leave the lounge and go to the gate. Which we did. Chaos. No one was there to help you, they handed out pieces of paper with an incorrect local ( AU) number to call. Fortunately I called the 800 line in the US and snagged the last two biz class seats for the Tuesday flight. They offered us a one night stay at some terrible airport hotel and that was it. They told me basically to take it or leave it that they would not pay for any other hotels or transportation. Like I wanted to spend a full day at an airport hotel. I was then generously offered a $300 cert for a future flight.. I paid $5500 for my ticket or $2250 for this leg x 2 (spouse ticket).

I would think United would try to value paid business class ticket holders enough to at least send an agent to the lounge to deal with us. Or to look at alternative before the cancellation and try to help. I asked the ANX lounge staff when the first delay was announced if they could get us to Auckland and they were not able to assist since it was a UA flight. I should have tried to call UA then but I assumed that there would be some type of assistance for Biz class passengers onsite. Not the case. The gate agents all stood around the podium talking to each other and ignoring all of the passengers. I understand that this is not a hub and that there are a lot of contractors but surely there was someone on staff who worked for United..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2017 at 11:14 am Reason: merged into master thread;title corrected

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.