Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:20 pm

Smile Polaris and Coach 777-300ER Cabin experience SFO-EWR

Overall Iwe had a very positive experience with the new United Polaris 777-300ER cabin on our flight from SFO to EWR yesterday afternoon. I quickly walked the plane front to back during boarding to see the whole plane.

I always insist on a window seat since I get claustrophobic if I'm in the middle section.. So for this flight I assigned myself 5A and my hubby 6A.

Key observations :

1) if you insist on a window seat, our setup of one on front of the other worked quite well... He'd just tap me on the head whenever he wanted to talk or had a question etc.

Here's our selfie from 5A/6A:

United Boeing 777-300ER Polaris Business Class by https://www.flickr.com/photos/flyguymba/, on Flickr

2) Privacy : I definitely love the privacy of the odd numbered straight seats vs the angled seats. Seating on the angled seat made me feel exposed to the aisle but it wasn't too bad as my hubby who sat there for most of the flight didn't mind.

2) Sleep Comfort : in a full lie flat position:

A) Odd numbered straight seats are fine if you're a back sleeper. Sleeping on your side is problematic since the footwell and that "wall" that comprises of the armrest and seat controls against the window gets in the way. Besides you do recline into a small cubby with your legs under the monitor.

B) the angled seats are much less claustrophobic since there's no cubby hole you recline into and that armrest wall isn't noticeable.. Sleeping on your side is not problem for this seat.

C) Shoulder room : I'm fairly broad shouldered...or so I thought... But didn't have any problems in either seat in the lie flat position. I just had to consciously inch away from the armrest "wall" with the straight seat version in order to be comfortable... And make sure to lower the other armrest which is adjustable.

The "wall" is on my right side in this picture:

United Boeing 777-300ER Polaris Business Class by https://www.flickr.com/photos/flyguymba/, on Flickr

3) Tray table is awesome. Adjustable in so many ways and you can leave your seat even during meal service.

4) Ottoman space underneath : space is very shallow. Can't put my backpack underneath.. But perfect height for putting your shoes in them.

The aisles though is a bit tight in both Polaris and economy cabins.

Row 8, the last row in the front cabin, is a definite NO. It's way too close to the galley and the galley noise and lights would definitely be an issue... Even the F/A's told me to avoid that seat.

Overall I think the Polaris cabin is a good improvement. Coach looked dreadful.

For this flight in particular, the crew was awesome!! ������ I have no status on United but the flight attendant found a way to find me my first choice for lunch. (and yes she told me the front and back Polaris cabins are catered separately when doing meal choices)

Service was very fast.. I had to almost rush finishing lunch as they were doing sundaes right after the lunch service. I guess I ate too slow as I was busy taking pictures and making notes.

Captain was gracious enough to give me a tour of the cockpit and the crew rest area after we landed.

Fantastic crew... I know service can be a hit or miss.. But everyone on the crew for this flight were genuinely proud of their new plane. :-)

I'm posting pictures and video shortly.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskPrJHhr

Quick walk from back to front of the 777-300ER :

The tray table :

My hubby, who doesn't travel much, was shocked to see the difference when we went from the 777-300ER Polaris cabin to our 737-800 First Class cabin to SJU.... It was no comparison.. Lol������

Last edited by SFnFlaGuy; Feb 26, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
1) if you insist on a window seat, our setup of one on front of the other worked quite well... He'd just tap me on the head whenever he wanted to talk or had a question etc.
Was that something that was reasonable from your two seats? Seems like a bit of a stretch to hold a conversation between two different window rows.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Was that something that was reasonable from your two seats? Seems like a bit of a stretch to hold a conversation between two different window rows.
We didn't think it was too bad... He tapped me on the head whenever he wanted to talk.. He'd lean over and we'd talk 😊😊😊 the partitions aren't that high... Look at my Flickr link.. I took ya selfie of both of us.. That'll give you a good idea of the setup.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Really depends what your personal priorities are. Do the couples want to sit together? In that case they would probably want 1DG and 3DG. I think it was sbm12 who coined it as "if you're a window person traveling with a partner, you'll have to choose which one you love more"
Thanks, and to those above with comments as well. I have read all the comments, and I'm a bit concerned that row 9 might attract a larger gathering in front on a TLV flight (the orthodox look for a space to congregate together at dusk and dawn for prayer).

On an overnight flight, the wife and I actually prefer a window- so i don't mind sitting straight across one of the rows.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:43 am

Ok, we're tentatively placed in 2 D/G and 5 all four across. So two middle honeymoon pairs and two straight windows. Wanted to avoid galleys and lavs, find what might be amongst the quieter seats that are in straight rows. Relativey wide open cabin at this point....are we good with the above assumptions?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gold23
Ok, we're tentatively placed in 2 D/G and 5 all four across. So two middle honeymoon pairs and two straight windows. Wanted to avoid galleys and lavs, find what might be amongst the quieter seats that are in straight rows. Relativey wide open cabin at this point....are we good with the above assumptions?
3DG is the honeymoon pair - did you make a typo?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:37 pm

3DG is the honeymoon pair - did you make a typo?
Yes. 3.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SFnFlaGuy
Overall Iwe had a very positive experience with the new United Polaris 777-300ER cabin on our flight from SFO to EWR yesterday afternoon. I quickly walked the plane front to back during boarding to see the whole plane.
Thanks for the excellent review. I am a side sleeper and your observeations are very helpful. Also, great photos!^
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks for the excellent review. I am a side sleeper and your observeations are very helpful. Also, great photos!^
Glad to hear it was helpful. :-)
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Any read on whether odd window seats get less notice from the FAs when it comes to beverage refills? I got the sense from the earlier seat speculation threads the opening to the window seat was a bit narrow.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FTstudent
Any read on whether odd window seats get less notice from the FAs when it comes to beverage refills? I got the sense from the earlier seat speculation threads the opening to the window seat was a bit narrow.
If anything, it'd be the opposite - because in those seats, your side-table is open to the aisle, whereas in the even ones, your table is by the window.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:15 am

Where NOT to sit!

Well I'm onboard in route from SFO to EWR in seat 11D and was informed that my seat was broken on last nights flight but maintenance assured them they fixed it overnight along with 12D. Needless to say they didn't! Very disappointed that they had all night to repair and still dropped the ball....
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Bayarea510
Well I'm onboard in route from SFO to EWR in seat 11D and was informed that my seat was broken on last nights flight but maintenance assured them they fixed it overnight along with 12D. Needless to say they didn't! Very disappointed that they had all night to repair and still dropped the ball....
Dunno if it's the same seat, but on EWR-SFO last Thursday the head flight attendant told me that one of the Polaris seats was broken.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Interesting datapoint I heard while at SFO while waiting for another flight that was boarding next to the 777-300ER SFO-EWR route this weekend:

The gate agent announced "This is new plane and it holds considerably less overhead bags than our older planes, so if you're in group 4/5 I would really appreciate if you all came up to check your bags proactively..."

Is this just due to the higher passenger density in coach? Or are the bins smaller?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The gate agent announced "This is new plane and it holds considerably less overhead bags than our older planes, so if you're in group 4/5 I would really appreciate if you all came up to check your bags proactively..."

Is this just due to the higher passenger density in coach? Or are the bins smaller?
It's not the bins. Density in Y may make overhead space tougher than in other UA widebodies.

But the other thing to remember is that GAs routinely lie about the availability of overhead space. Gate checking makes boarding quicker, even though it may not be necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.