Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Thanks for your reply! By `high status' you mean which status tier? Gold and above? Or even Gold members were also kicked out?
Just make sure you monitor the seat map daily... especially 1 to 3 days before the flight.

I was moved from 19L to 20L on the 777-300ER two days before the flight. After that happened, I noticed a few seats became open in rows 19 and 20. Not sure what was going on. Did UA move people to the back? However, it also meant that people had a chance to grab those seats, assuming they are gold or above, or have paid for E+ seats.

Got another 777-300ER flight coming up soon. I got myself into 19L. (the last remaining seat in 19/20/21, 2-4-2 configuration) If an buikhead aisle seat opens up(row 20), I will definitely grab it because 19L, while very spacious, did not allow me unrestricted access to the aisle. Stepping over my seatmate's legs in a dark cabin was no fun.

Last edited by geometry; Jan 30, 2019 at 9:52 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by geometry
Just make sure you monitor the seat map daily... especially 1 to 3 days before the flight.

I was moved from 19L to 20L on the 777-300ER two days before the flight. After that happened, I noticed a few seats became open in rows 19 and 20. Not sure what was going on. Did UA move people to the back? However, it also meant that people had a chance to grab those seats, assuming they are gold or above, or have paid for E+ seats.

Got another 777-300ER flight coming up soon. I got myself into 19L. (the last remaining seat in 19/20/21, 2-4-2 configuration) If an buikhead aisle seat opens up(row 20), I will definitely grab it because 19L, while very spacious, did not allow me unrestricted access to the aisle. Stepping over my seatmate's legs in a dark cabin was no fun.
Thanks for your tips! I will check the seat map closely, especially closer to the flight.

By the way, when you say "I noticed a few seats became open in rows 19 and 20", you really mean rows 20 and 21 (first and second row on the PP cabin), right?

As for your last comment, you seem to suggest that putting yourself in row 20 (rather than row 19) of the interim seat map now is actually a better bet for a bulkhead seat in the PP cabin?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Thanks for your tips! I will check the seat map closely, especially closer to the flight.

By the way, when you say "I noticed a few seats became open in rows 19 and 20", you really mean rows 20 and 21 (first and second row on the PP cabin), right?

As for your last comment, you seem to suggest that putting yourself in row 20 (rather than row 19) of the interim seat map now is actually a better bet for a bulkhead seat in the PP cabin?
sorry abou that... all the 19, 20, 21, 22 have gotten me very confused over the last couple of weeks.

Two days before the flight, the UA system moved me from 19L to 20L. The seat map was updated and row 20 became the bulkhead row. At that time, I noticed a few seats opened up in rows 21 and 22. IIRC, the two middle seats in row 22.. .The others were aisle seats next to the windows seats in 21 and 22.

It's definitely worth checking the seat map as often as possible, especially the last few days before the flight. After March 30, these Premium Plus seats will cost $700 to $800 more than the usual discounted economy roundtrip tickets on some of the Asian flights that I usually take.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: CX Gold
sorry abou that... all the 19, 20, 21, 22 have gotten me very confused over the last couple of weeks.

Two days before the flight, the UA system moved me from 19L to 20L. The seat map was updated and row 20 became the bulkhead row. At that time, I noticed a few seats opened up in rows 21 and 22. IIRC, the two middle seats in row 22.. .The others were aisle seats next to the windows seats in 21 and 22.

It's definitely worth checking the seat map as often as possible, especially the last few days before the flight. After March 30, these Premium Plus seats will cost $700 to $800 more than the usual discounted economy roundtrip tickets on some of the Asian flights that I usually take.
Thanks for your clarification! Very helpful for me I will definitely check the seat map closely. Luckily, my flight is in early March, so I still have a chance to try these PP seats before they become chargeable.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Is 5A or 11A a better seat on the 77W (i.e., with the polaris seats)?

I am trying to decide between 5A and 11A on United's 777-300ER. Does anyone have suggestions about which I should choose?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hlwoodcock
I am trying to decide between 5A and 11A on United's 777-300ER. Does anyone have suggestions about which I should choose?
I would take 5A. The forward cabin is quieter (less engine noise) and economy boards behind you.
hlwoodcock likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I agree on 5A, although they are both excellent seats.
hlwoodcock likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
5A for me for the same reasons others have stated.

hlwoodcock likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2019 at 6:00 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

How bad is it to jump over the aisle pax in the bulkhead? I have a choice between 20B and 20L and am leaning towards the window seat just to be a bit isolated from the aisle for thee 16hr overnight flight. Are you still able to do some mini acrobatics(like BA CW window seat)and get to the aisle from window seat?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
There’s about a mile of space at the bulkhead.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
There’s about a mile of space at the bulkhead.
True - there was enough leg room and my seatmate was able to get out without bothering me. Bulkhead window is the best choice in the cabin.

Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:32 am

777-300ER on United, which are good Economy Plus seats?

SFO-HKG on 777-300ER. My goal in buying economy plus is room for my legs and to recline a bit to sleep.

I'm looking at Row 40. The UA app says it has limited recline. Why would that be?

Or Row 39 but I tend not to like the tray tables and IFE that come out of the arm rests.

Any advice appreciated!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._777-300ER.php
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:58 am

Thanks for that. I'd looked at Seat Guru already, but it conflicts with the UA app. It doesn't say row 40 in the middle has limited recline, but the UA app does.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's 10 across. The best economy plus seats are the one on a different routing to get wherever you're going...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.