Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arg. They moved the Premier checkin at SFO again ( Dec 1 2016 )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arg. They moved the Premier checkin at SFO again ( Dec 1 2016 )

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I see the re-location of 1K check-in at SFO as part of UA's recent trend to really enhance a 1K benefit. Particularly at large stations, there's been a dilution of this and UA has belatedly recognized this - at least that's the info I've gotten from long-time folks there. So I don't see personalized 1K c/i service going away, rather being strengthened.
I hope that is the case.

If that is the intention, it would be easier accomplished if the UA employees working the area were clear on who can use the 1K line and who cannot.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
I flew out of SFO on 12/23 and it was miserable. The 1K/Polaris desks at the new checkin area were open and empty but the agents guarding the lines refused to let 1K's use them "unless your flight was cancelled" and forced *everyone* to line up to use the self-tag kiosks.

That caused huge problems since the self-tag kiosk area is relatively small for a lot of people/bags and in the middle of pillars/pylons. So this huge scrum of a line extended well into the terminal walkway with people confused and getting no help.

Then after getting the tags you had to get in a separate-but-comingled scrum to drop your bags.

Conversely, flying back from EWR the experience was great. Separate Premier Silver-Plat area and Polaris/1K area. Polaris/1K area was very quick, great service, and on your way.

SFO needs to go to the model with a good Premier area and a good Polaris/1K area with competent agents that 1K's are actually allowed to use. In general I actually prefer the new location....but it needs to work.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
"Customers traveling in United Polaris first class should go to Terminal 3, Door 4 on the departures level to access the United Global Services Reception lobby. Effective December 1, 2016, Premier® members will be able to access the Premier check-in area at Terminal 3, near Doors 3 and 4. "

Interesting, I am 1K and just flew to Polaris to EWR. I didn't know I could access the GS reception lobby with Polaris service? I thought that was reserved strictly for GS customers? I did my usual checked in just south of GS lobby at the Premier check in which at the time was no problem at all.

And yes Premier check-in was moved from the north end of Term 3 to the south end, its current location.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Global First flyers (regardless of status) were actually always able to use the GS lobby (though I dont know why you would, since you would prob want to be in the Intl terminal), so its just a name change for "Polaris First" able to use it as well. I'm wondering if it will turn into a general "Polaris" lobby in the future.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Interesting, I am 1K and just flew to Polaris to EWR. I didn't know I could access the GS reception lobby with Polaris service?
You can't. SFO-EWR is not Polaris, let alone "Polaris First."

OTOH, UA International F pax have always been able to use the GS lobby.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Cybertronic
I'm wondering if it will turn into a general "Polaris" lobby in the future.
Highly doubtful. While the density of the new Polaris seat is great for upgrades, it means that there will be hordes of Polaris pax at UA hubs. Far too many for the GS lobby.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't. SFO-EWR is not Polaris, let alone "Polaris First."

OTOH, UA International F pax have always been able to use the GS lobby.
Just flew SFO-EWR-HAM and back "Polaris Class" all the way. I don't know what you are referring to? Similar seat type (lay flat) and amenities both international and domestic flights. My understanding is ALL SFO-EWR flights are now Polaris in Biz/F cabin with no CPU's no longer available.

Didn't realize I could us the GS though, again I just assumed that was GS customers only so good to know.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Didn't realize I could us the GS though, again I just assumed that was GS customers only so good to know.
And again, you cannot. Not for SFO-EWR. Nor for SFO-EWR-HAM.

Polaris First customers may use the GS lobby. SFO-EWR is not a Polaris route. The front cabin is "United business." And EWR-HAM does not have an F cabin. You flew "United Polaris business" not United Polaris First" on that route.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Just flew SFO-EWR-HAM and back "Polaris Class" all the way. I don't know what you are referring to? Similar seat type (lay flat) and amenities both international and domestic flights. My understanding is ALL SFO-EWR flights are now Polaris in Biz/F cabin with no CPU's no longer available.
The p.s. flights are being marketed as "United Business" and do not have the full Polaris soft product. Standard catering is the heavy blanket and large pillow, with a continuation of the same p.s. meal service (so no pre-departure chocolate, no wine flights, no gel pillows, etc).

It is true that p.s. flights continue to be ineligible for CPU.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... My understanding is ALL SFO-EWR flights are now Polaris in Biz/F cabin with no CPU's no longer available. ....
PS Business is definitively not labeled Polaris. The PS flights may have some Polaris-like amenities but UA is clearly not calling it Polaris for PS. Including the occasional 3-class is used (and when the first Polaris seat equipped aircraft in February is used in it shake-up domestic trials) for PS it will PS Business may be with a few extra amenities.

UA states this on the Polaris FAQs
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?

At first, our p.s. premium cabin service will not change significantly. As of December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding
PS have not been eligible for CPU ever. No change there.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by findark
The p.s. flights are being marketed as "United Business" and do not have the full Polaris soft product. Standard catering is the heavy blanket and large pillow, with a continuation of the same p.s. meal service (so no pre-departure chocolate, no wine flights, no gel pillows, etc).

It is true that p.s. flights continue to be ineligible for CPU.
Well I knew them as "p.s. flights" but I will double check ticketing directly, I thought the marketing now recently changed (last month) to "Polaris". Perhaps the confusion is that it was booked as international F class SFO to HAM but there was an equipment change in EWR. I fly the route regularly and the service level has changed, even from what was "P.S. flight". Did get the chocolate to EWR but no gel pillow (Didn't get that on the international flight either). I didn't see the "wine flight" but didn't ask either.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Flew out Dec 30 and we made the wise (and necessary) choice to use a redcap to check our 8 bags (including skis). No lines at 5pm, the redcap was great, and then we waltzed up to the Clear line near the Premier checkpoint. unfortunately as reported above there was a long precheck line so we had to wait a few minutes to get through the X-rays (a first for Clear). Overall I have no complaints but it does seem that precheck is understaffed for this location given the # of sophisticated travelers who utilize it.

For those who need to check bags and value time and convenience, the redcaps beat the self check nonsense any day.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Flew out Dec 30 and we made the wise (and necessary) choice to use a redcap to check our 8 bags (including skis). No lines at 5pm, the redcap was great, and then we waltzed up to the Clear line near the Premier checkpoint. unfortunately as reported above there was a long precheck line so we had to wait a few minutes to get through the X-rays (a first for Clear). Overall I have no complaints but it does seem that precheck is understaffed for this location given the # of sophisticated travelers who utilize it.

For those who need to check bags and value time and convenience, the redcaps beat the self check nonsense any day.
Often when the main pre-check line is busy, there's nobody at the western t3 checkpoint.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It seems this is not just limited to SFO. IAD premier checkin as well. What a mess! Now the elites and Polaris passengers have to drag their bags to the back side of IAD lobby. It was a lot more user friendly to elites and business passengers previously: you walk right in and the Premier checkin is right in front you. Now that user friendlly space is giving to non-elites and economy passengers.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Has anything changed in the last 3 years?

Paid F (so Premier Access)
Pre-Check
Clear

Traveling out of T3 later today (domestic), so I'm guessing it still makes the most sense to head to the far West end for the F3 checkpoint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.