Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arg. They moved the Premier checkin at SFO again ( Dec 1 2016 )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arg. They moved the Premier checkin at SFO again ( Dec 1 2016 )

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:46 am

Until there's an accident on 101 or you're headed to/from SFO during peak hours ... maybe some folks just love sitting in traffic

Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably heading OT here, but Bart has become increasingly unreliable, often unpleasant, and occasionally unsafe.

Originally Posted by findark
I've also just lost patience with the giant loop out to Colma which takes >30m to get downtown from SFO.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
In related news, they also moved the 1K and BusinessFirst (Polaris) check-in at Newark. I like the dedicated space now, as a 1K.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Until there's an accident on 101 or you're headed to/from SFO during peak hours ... maybe some folks just love sitting in traffic
Baby bullet to Millbrae on Caltrain, then Uber is the fastest if you're really concerned about time during the rush hours. You stand for 20 min on the train, but you get there fast and cheap.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by malgudi
Or until your BART train dies on the tracks

I nearly missed my ride in OZ F due to a BART outage which left us stalled just short of Daly City station. We limped into the station after 30 minutes, at which point I had to hop a cab to SFO and barely made my flight.

There have recently been semi-regular outages on the stretches of track between the city and SFO.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Anyone check in at SFO recently? I got home last night and noticed a staffed check-in area with "Premier Access" and "Premier 1K/United Polaris" lanes over by the exit from E pier (doors 1-3). The 1K line also had the "secret GS globe" and the GS lobby (now?) said "United Global Receptions"

I didn't have time to walk the length of T3, but I think old premier check-in might now just be group check-in? It may have been like this when I flew out on Monday, but I was in a rush and just went straight through security. If they are re-doing it again, E pier seems like a silly place for premier check-in due to a lack of an E checkpoint. (And I think we all know F-3 is way better than F-1...)
It never ends in SFO - over last 5 years - change is only constant
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flew out of SFO today with checked bag. Premier check-in was empty so that was easy enough. At least 50 pax in the Pre line at F1 so I took the long walk down to F3, where there were 2 pax in front of me. Suspect this will be the new normal. They really need that third checkpoint at E terminal.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Flew out of SFO today with checked bag. Premier check-in was empty so that was easy enough. At least 50 pax in the Pre line at F1 so I took the long walk down to F3, where there were 2 pax in front of me. Suspect this will be the new normal. They really need that third checkpoint at E terminal.
That needs attention and writing.

Centralizing checkpoints is the theme with UA/DL/AA at the hubs lately and eventually they get it right with enough crying. Were a number of the lanes unstaffed / too many for light non-pre traffic?

Long term closing F3 and reopening E would serve more pax better and give the airport more space for retail.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
That needs attention and writing.
Good point. I will drop a note to 1kvoice.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Were a number of the lanes unstaffed / too many for light non-pre traffic?
SFO just seems to get a ton of Pre traffic. The 'normal' lanes were empty. They do some weird managed inclusion at SFO as well . . . going through at international I've been behind both Chinese and French nationals which doesn't make any sense to me at all. (And one of the reasons I prefer not to use Pre in Terminal G . . . they tend to fill the line with pax who not only don't know what they're doing, but don't speak English.]
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
1K check in at SFO eliminated?

After promising the premier check-in counter had returned to its original location near the international terminal at Terminal 3 at SFO (and would not be moved again), on December 1 it was moved back to the former group check in location near the new the global service lounge.

Since the move back, In the five trips I have traveled I have experienced mixed direction from different united employees regarding the 1K check in line. I have been told the following by different employees (verbatim):

1) The 1K check in has been eliminated.
2) The 1K/Polaris check in is only for 1Ks flying Polaris.
3) 1Ks check in with all premiers now at the self tagging kiosk.
4) The 1K line is for re-ticketing or re-routing only.
And finally:
5) The 1K line is for 1Ks.

Can anyone shed a light on this mess? Is United eliminating the 1K check in, and if so, what is next? The 1K 1call?

Last edited by eyevision; Jan 3, 2017 at 4:26 pm Reason: I don't know door numbers
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think you may have the door numbers backwards.

The Premier check-in area was, for most of 2016, near the high-numbered doors (close to the international terminal). On 1 December, they moved it back near Door 3 or so (close to Terminal 2 and E pier). The "Premier 1K/Polaris" line should be for passengers traveling in Polaris (which is kind of silly since they should be checking in at the international departures hall anyway, but I guess it could be a Polaris connection), and 1K members.

I am curious though - is the GS lobby still open? They added the "GS globe" to the 1K line but I'm thinking they only had one sign screened for all the airports.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:16 pm

5. It's amazing that anyone would tell you anything different.

Though they will default toward directing you to the self-tag kiosks.

I am curious though - is the GS lobby still open? They added the "GS globe" to the 1K line but I'm thinking they only had one sign screened for all the airports.
According to the website it is:

Customers traveling in United Polaris first class should go to Terminal 3, Door 4 on the departures level to access the United Global Services Reception lobby. Effective December 1, 2016, Premier® members will be able to access the Premier check-in area at Terminal 3, near Doors 3 and 4.
Travel Notices.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
I think you may have the door numbers backwards.
I think you may be right.

PS, answer number 2 was my favorite. My thought was "What?"
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Yes it is. I saw somebody come out of the precheck side door yesterday.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC

It's still open. Used it a few days ago.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I see the re-location of 1K check-in at SFO as part of UA's recent trend to really enhance a 1K benefit. Particularly at large stations, there's been a dilution of this and UA has belatedly recognized this - at least that's the info I've gotten from long-time folks there. So I don't see personalized 1K c/i service going away, rather being strengthened.

Originally Posted by eyevision
After promising the premier check-in counter had returned to its original location near the international terminal at Terminal 3 at SFO (and would not be moved again), on December 1 it was moved back to the former group check in location near the new the global service lounge.

Since the move back, In the five trips I have traveled I have experienced mixed direction from different united employees regarding the 1K check in line. I have been told the following by different employees (verbatim):

1) The 1K check in has been eliminated.
2) The 1K/Polaris check in is only for 1Ks flying Polaris.
3) 1Ks check in with all premiers now at the self tagging kiosk.
4) The 1K line is for re-ticketing or re-routing only.
And finally:
5) The 1K line is for 1Ks.

Can anyone shed a light on this mess? Is United eliminating the 1K check in, and if so, what is next? The 1K 1call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.