FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

villox Dec 2, 2016 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Lion06Fish (Post 27555927)
The Polaris Bears are only scheduled from Dec 1-7...the inauguration week. I was also told that you may request pajamas when you are in the Polaris lounge...this is good for those flights scheduled under 12 hours since pajamas are only boarded for flights 12+

Looks like I'm going to be in possession of a bear and pajamas this afternoon. ^

TCD Dec 2, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by seenitall (Post 27556347)
It would seem that UA's best strategy would be to board amenities for 100% of the cabin and then for a test period: (a) proactively offer them to PAX; or (b) only provide them to PAX that request them. This will allow UA to determine the amenity take-rates under each of these offer scenarios. Then based on these data, UA can decide whether it wishes to offer proactively or wait until requested, as well as have determined the number of the amenities that must be stocked in order to ensure a sufficiently low number of disappointments (i.e., just as it uses past data to determine its optimum level of seat overbooking).

Yes (and surely they will be quietly doing this?). That would also help them judge the effects of reduced storage space. I imagine some of the folks complaining here about lack of mattress pads/pillows will also be the first to complain when the overhead bins are all full of mattress pads/pillows and there is no space for their carry-on.

JetAway Dec 2, 2016 10:18 am

AA seems able to provision mattress pads and PJs for everyone in First and Business on their long SYD and AKL flights so I don't see why UA can't do it too. Are UA pax and/or pads heavier?

laxmillenial Dec 2, 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by TCD (Post 27556480)
Yes (and surely they will be quietly doing this?). That would also help them judge the effects of reduced storage space. I imagine some of the folks complaining here about lack of mattress pads/pillows will also be the first to complain when the overhead bins are all full of mattress pads/pillows and there is no space for their carry-on.

When boarding occurs on the 2L door on 787-8/9 aircraft, I've never seen the overhead bins above business class become full or even half full. Most of the time my carry on suitcase is the only one above my row. All of the issues I've seen with overhead bin space is when economy class walks through the business class cabin and utilizes empty space for their luggage.

I'd rather have mattress pads/pillows and have to store my carry-on further down the aircraft than not have those amenities. Anything to increase my comfort for a long flight is a huge +.

tht Dec 2, 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 27556261)
Hope they still have the bears today, on way to EWR for today's EWR-HKG now.

Was all on the seat.. including the bear...

tht Dec 2, 2016 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 27557267)
Was all on the seat.. including the bear...

Looks like they have 2 corporate interns on the flight showing the crew what to do, wonder if they are flying or just here till push back.

docbert Dec 2, 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 27552470)
Did anyone really think the Flight Attendant "training" for Polaris would change anything?

The mattress pad and gel pillow have been stated previously as being on demand. So the FA's are doing exactly what they have been trained to do...

JDT1955 Dec 2, 2016 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 27556446)
Yeah, but were the cashews whole? If not, they haven't gotten there yet with Polaris.

Am I the only FTer who actually LIKES my cashews split? That way I get twice as many cashew bites for the same number of calories!

wco81 Dec 2, 2016 2:03 pm

Regardless of preference, if you go to the store, whole cashews cost more.

Postal007 Dec 2, 2016 2:24 pm

Just got on EWR-SFO. Got the new duvet and blanket as well as the new bear. Business class was referred to as Polaris despite it being domestic ps flight. On a cash upgrade so excited to get to try out the new bedding and get my collectible bear.

milepig Dec 2, 2016 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDT1955 (Post 27557602)
Am I the only FTer who actually LIKES my cashews split? That way I get twice as many cashew bites for the same number of calories!

Split is is fine, there was a long period where they were serving crumbs.

To the wine flights and being described as "thimbles". I'm not sure that's a bad thing. You get to sample three and then order glass(es) of the one you prefer.

WineCountryUA Dec 2, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by LizGross144 (Post 27556445)
I'd love to have someone confirm this in ORD. We'd love pajamas for our overnight flight from ORD to BRU next summer.

ORD-BRU is well under the 12 hour minimum. No PJs.

phxrsng Dec 2, 2016 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 27557869)
ORD-BRU is well under the 12 hour minimum. No PJs.

There was a quote upthread about being able to request PJs at the Polaris Lounge, though - no clarification that I saw about whether they check ticket/route when doing so. I would assume yes - but maybe a loophole.

LizGross144 Dec 2, 2016 3:53 pm

The comment upthread was that you could ask for pajamas in the Polaris lounge even if your flight was under 12 hours. That's what I was referring to.

Shareholder Dec 2, 2016 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by cur (Post 27555695)
omg really, it's not like we're dealing with some bistro in austin with grain fed waiters, this is a global company going thru a catering company.

ya i want argentinan or ethiopian or south african whine too but having a producer be able to bottle, ship, clear, and distribute consistently to the companies that i have cater for me is, uh, ya.

if i want a new world whine tasting i'll just fly there and on the way deal with whatever schwag they have open and nearby

or just become a whiskey drinker like me, that stuff all taste the same and does the same job

bad idea

we'll have threads of flyertalkers complaining about them months after the same way they complain about the olympic tins (although i agree those tins suck once you open and realize you cannot re-close them)

that and not receiving an email over a flight sked change lol

Agree to a degree. While I appreciate better bottles of wine (and craft beers), I doubt no more than a quarter of those onboard know much about wine or care. They'll wash down their meal with anything after having done a Bud Lite with their cashews. It is nice to have seen some upgrading to the offerings, and particularly more premium liquors (and finally a single malt Scotch after the short-lived The Glenlivet).

I've been to a wine tasting session at the UA test kitchen and had some respectable glasses but find at 30K feet they never taste the same. Whites are too acidic and reds too tannic and young. That said, when flying NZ, LH, OS and SA (or QF), I always try all the wines on offer, just to sample local vintages. I firmly believe that an airline should be serving its own country's wines (and beers) when there is a local industry. Of course, the logistics of cellaring American wines at dozens of bases often dictates that those outside the US must also include some local bottles (Chile or Argentina, France or Germany). It does look as if UA is trying.