FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

GoSh4rks Jul 20, 2017 10:07 pm

On 862 hkg-sfo today. Asked for and received mattress pad and pjs prior to departure. Meal orders were taken recognizing status of each passenger. Lower statuses were asked for first and second choice. 1k/GS were only asked for one choice.

747FC Jul 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Slippers?

SFO-LHR and return in GF. I know it is not a PJ route, but will there be slippers? My search function gives inconsistent information, so I'd appreciate any recent experiences from people who have been on non-PJ routes. Thank you.

United747 Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 28598738)
SFO-LHR and return in GF. I know it is not a PJ route, but will there be slippers? My search function gives inconsistent information, so I'd appreciate any recent experiences from people who have been on non-PJ routes. Thank you.

I got them from EWR-GVA in GF. I don't remember if it was this month or last though.

I don't remember if I did on the return.

747FC Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 28598749)
I got them from EWR-GVA in GF. I don't remember if it was this month or last though.

I don't remember if I did on the return.

Thanks, United747!

On another note, I thought I might be facing an appellation-related identity crisis, but I can only imagine what you are going through...:)

kirkwoodj Jul 24, 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 28598738)

Have requested & received slippers on all Polaris flights regardless of length. One FA on a TATL flight thought they were only for Asia flights, so I helped her with the correct info :cool:

747FC Jul 24, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 28600575)
Have requested & received slippers on all Polaris flights regardless of length. One FA on a TATL flight thought they were only for Asia flights, so I helped her with the correct info :cool:

On behalf of Polaris flyers everywhere, I thank you for your service! :)

wco81 Jul 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Hmm, that's one area where AA is nicer. I flew LAX-SYD last year and there were slippers in each of the pods already.

And they passed out PJs some time after takeoff.

warrenw Jul 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 28602393)
Hmm, that's one area where AA is nicer. I flew LAX-SYD last year and there were slippers in each of the pods already.

And they passed out PJs some time after takeoff.

I've had slippers at my seat for every Polaris flight I've taken.... I fly TPAC though, not sure if that makes a difference...

pfpdx Jul 24, 2017 6:16 pm

SFO-CDG slippers were provided upon request.

iluv2fly Jul 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw (Post 28603007)
I've had slippers at my seat for every Polaris flight I've taken.... I fly TPAC though, not sure if that makes a difference...

This has been my experience too except for a SYD-SFO flight a few weeks back. The ISM said that they are given out by request only? :confused:

AndyPatterson Jul 24, 2017 6:35 pm

How about the seats on this 787? Nicer than Polaris, surely!

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bo...photo-12916813

N104UA Jul 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by warrenw (Post 28603007)

Somewhere up thread or on another Polaris FT threads someone posted the amenity provisioning for Polaris. For Asia flights slippers are supposed to be at the seats when the pax board all others have them available on request.

United747 Jul 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by pfpdx (Post 28603018)
SFO-CDG slippers were provided upon request.

I've never asked in business on my TATL flights. That's good to know for the future.

findark Jul 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 28603074)
How about the seats on this 787? Nicer than Polaris, surely!

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/bo...photo-12916813

The ones in the back? Look like 2-2-2 off the rack seats, not too much different than the current ones, but different design.

eng3 Aug 17, 2017 8:17 am

Not sure this is the best thread but I just took my first 77W and thought I'd share some of my observations. It was EWR-SFO. I then took SFO-FRA on a 747 so it was easy to compare.

I was seated in 9A, bulkhead. First and foremost, there is definitely alot more privacy as you no longer have someone next to you. I can see where families may have issue with this but there are the center pairs where the wall goes down. It is nice to have the small table on the side, though its position is too far forward so it is a bit awkward to use unlike the side on the UD of a 747 that runs down the length. AV controls are just above the table so kind of far away unless you take out the remote so I found myself using the touch screen more. I did tend to sit closer to the screen. There is a wall running forward to back which leaves a several inch gap between the actual wall and your seat. It definitely makes the seat seem alot more narrow. Still on the narrow theme, the leg rest is only wide enough for one of my legs. Also, the tray table is too narrow. It is extra long but not wide enough to have a normal laptop and a mouse to the side.
The seat control is nice with the wheel but it is hard to have it do what you want. It will move the seat forward a few in before it begins reclining. If you went too far and move the wheel back, the seat moves backwards several inches before the seat comes back up. So if you want just the right recline and just the right seat position, you may have to go back and forth a few times. This will also affect the leg rest position so its best to adjust that after you've chosen your seat position. The seat level is above the ottoman level so its actually a comfortable foot rest. When you go to bed mode, the seat gradually lowers down so its all at the same level. There are two buttons for lumbar control but it isnt clear what they do.
The entertainment system seems nicer (better responsiveness). I think it is the same as whats on the 752 PS flights as well. Ch9 was available, though it seems to be tuned into multiple simultaneous frequencies so you hear overlapping. Wifi let me purchase but would not work "Internet service is pending activation".
With the wall height not being adjustable, you definitely feel the narrow-ness when sleeping. It is a little coffin like. if sleeping on your back, you can't bend your knees much, watch your shins hitting the tray table. if you are a side sleeper, you can pretty much only sleep on one side otherwise your knees go into the wall. if you are a stomach sleeper, there is a bit more width towards the top. Though note that when the seat back is flat, it is surrounded by a plastic tray of sorts around the sides of the seat. I didn't really sleep on this flight so can't comment much, but I don't think it will be alot more comfortable than the old seats. Being in the bulkhead, you do get alot of room for your feet though.
There is very little storage space like with the old seats. Maybe you can fit a laptop bag under the ottoman depending on your seat. its lower than the old seats so less height. there are other tiny storage spaces. space under the monitor is taller but shorter. There's a storage space for the head phones. maybe a small ladies purse can fit.

Overall, I think the biggest advantage of the seat is more privacy and overall being in newer condition. The side wall and the tray table pretty much ruin the seat. I definitely like the freedom to bend my knees. I think I'd still choose the 747UD over this depending on the situation.