FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Polaris In-flight Experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1806112-polaris-flight-experiences.html)

fly747first Jun 8, 2017 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by BH62 (Post 28419229)
Well,referring to UA870 (SYD-SFO) yesterday, the chicken entree consisted of two hefty pieces of thigh, preceded by an appetizer, salad plus all the usual accoutrements, the entree, then three types of cheese + port, and ... finally, desert.

Since when is SYD-SFO considered p.s.? :D

ehchan Jun 8, 2017 7:39 pm

Are they still giving bears away on Polaris flights? I'm taking my family to Sydney next Monday....

WineCountryUA Jun 8, 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ehchan (Post 28420786)
Are they still giving bears away on Polaris flights? I'm taking my family to Sydney next Monday....

No -- that was just for a few initial flights. They have showed up again with a new 77W route was started. But are not a standard item.

BH62 Jun 9, 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 28420143)
Since when is SYD-SFO considered p.s.? :D

Thought the comment referred to chicken portion size, not the route. Something on the order of "in contrast to p.s. experience, TPAC chicken was ....". And to another poster, I agree,: yes, eat as much as you want, there are no prizes for a clean plate.

Artpen100 Jun 9, 2017 12:54 pm

Eight Polaris flights since last December, all TATL, 3 of them on the 789. Two more coming up. None on the new seats, of course, but I look forward to trying that in the future. The service is faster than at the beginning. I've got no real complaints. I am getting a little tired of the similarity of the menu, though, and other then the short ribs, I would not say any dish has been that great. I don't think the salad is that good. I see the champagne flute with no base for the PDB is gone, and it is not missed. I wish they would open up a Polaris lounge in IAD.

iflyabunch Jun 10, 2017 7:41 pm

I really can't believe the number of posts about the bears. Does everyone really think a $5 teddy bear signifies an improvement in service?

United747 Jun 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by iflyabunch (Post 28427759)
I really can't believe the number of posts about the bears. Does everyone really think a $5 teddy bear signifies an improvement in service?

I think it's more just about some sort of memorabilia. Like the LH rubber duckie

villox Jun 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 28414847)
I wish the shoulder belt could be hidden away in a better spot. I found my self lying on it quite often and its pretty uncomfortable.

I discovered you could pull it out slightly and then tuck it behind the headrest. Couldn't feel it then.

Kacee Jun 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by iflyabunch (Post 28427759)
Does everyone really think a $5 teddy bear signifies an improvement in service?

I don't believe anyone thinks that.

But they're pretty cool and I'm mildly bummed I wasn't able to score one ;)

findark Jun 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I think UA is missing a major opportunity to make collectible stuffed animals by season/route. Would it be that big a deal? No, but it would be cute.

N104UA Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 28429803)
I think UA is missing a major opportunity to make collectible stuffed animals by season/route. Would it be that big a deal? No, but it would be cute.

Well it actually is a big deal (not counting the 16BF 752s or HD 772s as they are on more domestic than intl routes) UA has 164 aircraft that are internationally configured with 7,406 business and first class seats, let's assume that each frame flies about 1.5 international segments per 24 hour period, then we have 11,109 bears that would be needed to be stocked each day, if we assume the cost the bears for UA is $2.00 each (including transporting to outstations) then we have a cost of $22,218.00 per day or $8,109,570.00 per year for something that most pax would take once then leave the rest behind. So although one bear to one pax is cheap it does add up over time and I would assume that most pax would leave it. If you have ever been on KLM many pax don't take the houses or look to see if there is a new one and when not leave it behind.

Xyzzy Jun 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 28429803)

UA has made :pther animals available. They currently have a kangaroo and for a short time had a llama, too. Sadly, I missed the llama.

Eadward Jun 12, 2017 8:01 am

Just got off today's UA 89 EWR to PEK, on a 777-200. I've had a bunch of Polaris flights so will just report out some things that I thought were notable.

Menu no longer lists the "signature sundae" and the FA said it will be coming "soon" in a paper cup. Menu listed cheese and sweets. In addition they had the cheap paper cups of cheap vanilla bean ice cream. I wasn't expecting the ice cream and had it, not exactly a high quality substitute. Anyways I know there is a whole thread just on this.

FA offered the wine flights and was actually knowledgeable about the different wines, their origin, etc. Much more informed than I've seen before, and was friendly about the drink service. After that I only had a glass of the Chardonnay and really didn't like it.

Had the Salmon and it was edible.

FA Ann - was friendly and gave great service throughout. She asked if I wanted any additional bedding and I said I'd take the gel pillow and the mattress pad, more out of curiosity than anything since I've never used them on my flights so far. I was very pleasantly surprised when she returned with the items and asked if I'd like her to set up my bed for me. Why yes I would :) Thank you Ann. I had always liked this on Virgin but was thinking no way does UA do this, but yes she set things up very nicely. I did think that the additional bedding was a bit helpful in getting a good sleep, so I may do this again.

I got the mid-flight snack, the tomato soup and grilled cheese. That was probably the best thing I ate on the flight.

Had the omelette for prearrival and thought the omelette itself was ok, but the sausages were kinda gross tasting. I guess YMMV.

So, my take on this flight (as a sample of one) after quite a number of Polaris with various types of middling to subpar service is that perhaps the training is starting to take hold and the FA are getting more knowledgeable about the various offerings and how to serve them. I experienced a notably happier crew that was actually helpful and informed. Made for a much more pleasant flight. The food was still mediocre unfortunately.

Curiously I did sit next to a guy whose business travel companion came over and chatted pre-flight about Polaris. Seems like neither of them were heavy travelers so it was interesting being a fly on the wall as they talked about Polaris. She had read up on Polaris, but apparently didn't have good grasp of the product and its rollout. She said she was disappointed that they didn't have the new Polaris seats, and then she said she tried to upgrade to first, and was told she couldn't as they didn't have first on this plane. Then she said that she hated those old Continental planes and was glad to be on a United one. I felt like telling her that she was on an SCO plane but I bit my tongue. The guy replied, I don't know about this Polaris thing, I'm just happy to be on a 777.

CIT85 Jun 12, 2017 8:16 am

Polaris First

I used an GPU on ORD-NRT Saturday and tried out Polaris First. The menu actually said Polaris First, but I didn't compare with Polaris Business to look at the offerings. The wine selection for First was different from Business.

Wine and Food at Polaris Lounge still beat everything on board.

FA came around and refilled my San Pellegrino very frequently, often before I finished the previous glass, which was great.

DEN Jun 12, 2017 4:36 pm

First Full Polaris Experience, a True Disappointment

1 Attachment(s)
This was my third HKG trip this year but my first full Polaris Service flight and here are my experiences and thoughts on my SFO/HKG return flights:

My outbound was a paid Z class seat, not an upgrade (which makes no difference anyway). I was impressed with the comfort of the new seat and environs (10A) and it’s much more comfortable than the older seats I was used to out of EWR. The foot well was a bit tight (I’m only 5’11”) but manageable.

They had to reset my IFE twice and the handset never worked, always displaying (Err), but according to the FA, I “really don’t need the handset anyway…..” The flight progress map displayed a bright white error screen after several attempts to load (a real shock in a dark cabin!). I tried several TV shows and it took several attempts to get them to play. IFE issues are nothing new and not really related to Polaris Service. Wireless satellite internet was useless from the very beginning outbound and throughout the flight but did work well on the return. A request for credit has been submitted. Again, not a Polaris Service issue, just an annoying side note.

Attachment 34134

As I mentioned http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27053782-post122.html in my comments last year when I previewed the new Polaris Service at the DEN event, the food & seating looked great, but they would have to look for improvements in the cabin service to really make a difference.

I have not really noticed any lasting change in the cabin service either out of EWR/HKG or now from SFO/HKG. In fact, on my outbound SFO flight, I felt truly ignored. FA’s literally ran by me most of the flight, habitually failing to collect items on my tray table and never seeming to just stroll the aisle checking on passengers. The new “Pods” make eye contact with FA’s a short-lived event, especially when in a sprint. I could always press the call button…..on the inoperable handset that I “really don’t need anyway” or just take the trash out myself…... At one point, I pondered just sticking a foot out in the aisle to slow one down, I never acted on that impulse, of course. I don’t need to be pampered, but I don’t deserve to be ignored either. I generally get better, friendlier service in Domestic F that I have received in Business Class Transpac’s this year.

Honestly, I am a relatively easy-going person, non-confrontational and not really that demanding at all, but have higher service expectations than I have received, considering the class of service and the Polaris hype.

It took 3 requests for a gel pillow, the first response (pre-takeoff) was “I can’t get you one now, I’m doing beverages” and the second was just forgotten, I guess. Speaking of beverages, it seems that not wanting wine service (I prefer SM Scotch before and after my meal) threw them off and my first request for Glenfarclas was forgotten and the second request returned Dewar’s (an insult to any serious SM Scotch drinker! 😊 ).

This was my first experience with the midflight food/beverage bar (I’m used to the carts off the galley doors). I viewed the area twice, once just after they put out the food and snacks and once several hours later (I tend to be a nibbler on long flights, not a gobbler). The second visit was disgusting. Spilled beverages, crumbs from the pastries sprinkled all over and a half-eaten sandwich and an empty used glass and coffee cup left on the counter. It looked more like the $10.99 all-you-can-eat buffet after a high school football team had just passed through. Bring back the carts……

Do airlines ever get health department inspections for employee hygiene and proper food handling inflight?

My GPU upgrade on the HKG return didn’t clear (#10 on the loser list on a W fare) so I was back in 27C with an empty center seat. That's the spin of the wheel you take when using GPU's, that I understand. The FA’s in economy were actually more attentive than on my outbound and strolled the aisles on what seemed to be a routine schedule, often with cups and water bottle in hand. The food was typical for coach but warm and timely.

This is exactly what happens when you choose cabin crews based on seniority & language skillsets and not performance. I really expect little systemwide change until this issue is resolved, if ever. Perhaps an unfair evaluation, but my opinion none-the-less.

My 3 experiences this year (considering all of United’s Polaris flights they have flown so far) is indeed a small sample, but a large dose of disappointment for me. I don’t want a compensation, I want the Polaris Service they promised me and continue to promote! After all, this IS United’s Premium International Service, they will be offering nothing better as the F cabins are shuttered. Perhaps my expectations are too high and I drank a bit too much of the Kool-Aid.

I just watched a promotional Polaris Service video again on YouTube. I want to be THAT guy!;)

DEN

Note: I have cut & pasted this entire post to 1KVoice and a United Corporate employee I met a few years back. My email to 1KVoice included specific flight information and a few more personal comments about my experiences (all G rated, of course!) I ask for no compensation, just to be heard.