Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Yes, the GFL is completely full now, at 9:45 am. I notice multiple flight to Canada from the G gates (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal). I wonder if those pax in C can access the lounge.
Further to my posts above, we arrived from YVR about 8:30 a.m. and felt fortunate to find three chairs together - it was already "comfortably" full, unlike our previous rarefied visits.

At some point we realized there were people wandering in search of chairs, but it was only when we left just before 11:30 to catch our flight that we were shocked by the long queue outside.

If you schedule yourself to land at SFO by 8:15-8:30 a.m., you should be able to grab a chair without difficulty.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
The old lounge used to be quite empty, as is the international checkin area. There's only the flight to SYD at that time.
Huh? There are SYD, SIN, AKL, and TLV on UA metal, plus the BR and SQ flights. G Terminal UC was actually quite crowded late at night.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Fredd
Further to my posts above, we arrived from YVR about 8:30 a.m. and felt fortunate to find three chairs together - it was already "comfortably" full, unlike our previous rarefied visits.

At some point we realized there were people wandering in search of chairs, but it was only when we left just before 11:30 to catch our flight that we were shocked by the long queue outside.

If you schedule yourself to land at SFO by 8:15-8:30 a.m., you should be able to grab a chair without difficulty.
The only RNO-SFO flight that connects to UA's SFO Asia flights is 0530-0641. Hence the long stay at the SFO lounge. No queue when I left though.
Fredd likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Yes, the GFL is completely full now, at 9:45 am. I notice multiple flight to Canada from the G gates (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal). I wonder if those pax in C can access the lounge.
In the lounge now.

Yes they can. They made announcements for the pair of Toronto flights that leave around noon. The desk staff was trying to push as many people out of the lounge as possible, because they were at capacity with a line of people at the entrance waiting for others to vacate their seats downstairs.

Compared to my prior visit in July when this was still a GFL, the beverage situation is the same (maybe even better with the two new fridges full of drinks), but the food situation is worse. Similar to a regular UC setup. The hot food is gone, no more cut apples or oranges (only whole ones now.)

I do have to say that the staff is definitely doing the best they can given the limited seating available here. Most everybody was quite understanding about the wait, and the staff was trying to move everybody through as soon as possible.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Just booked a J award ticket for next June, EVA outbound, ANA inbound, to SIN. 160k miles before the increase in November.

Assuming the Polaris Lounge is open by then (only half-joking), will I be eligible?

Will there be better *A lounges in SFO in the same time frame?

My flight departs SFO at 1 AM so I might hang out at least a couple of hours.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81
Just booked a J award ticket for next June, EVA outbound, ANA inbound, to SIN. 160k miles before the increase in November.

Assuming the Polaris Lounge is open by then (only half-joking), will I be eligible?

Will there be better *A lounges in SFO in the same time frame?

My flight departs SFO at 1 AM so I might hang out at least a couple of hours.
Yes, you have PL access as long as you are departing SFO in BR J. I would also be legitimately skeptical of it being open by June; I don't think there is much in the way of other good lounges at SFO - both the CL and old GFL are decent but crowded.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
I'm a little confused, according to UA website, there is a temporary lounge located between gate G98 & G100, however the wikipost is saying there is no lounge in the International Terminal starting 10/1/2017. Is the temporary lounge still open, is it only for biz/first class passengers? Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by rdchen
I'm a little confused, according to UA website, there is a temporary lounge located between gate G98 & G100, however the wikipost is saying there is no lounge in the International Terminal starting 10/1/2017. Is the temporary lounge still open, is it only for biz/first class passengers? Thanks.
The temp lounge in G is the old GFL, it's only for J&F and it's open and crowded.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Thanks.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
The temp lounge in G is the old GFL, it's only for J&F and it's open and crowded.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
The lounge was so messed up today that they just gave me a $25 Visa card to not go in.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Rotus12
The lounge was so messed up today that they just gave me a $25 Visa card to not go in.
I would've left the other day, except departure gate was very close by, there are no other lounges around, and we had rolling delay.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yes. However, on my last trip, the ONLY reason I even went to the GFL was that when I got to the gate (10 minutes after posted boarding time), I was told boarding wouldn't start for another 15 minutes.

I find most people on the Canada flights don't show up particularly early to the airport.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Rotus12
The old IFL, or one of the others?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by docbert
The old IFL, or one of the others?
The old First class lounge, same situation happened to me 10/23. I didn't take the $25 because I was first in line, but man what a cluster. Not only that but they'll let in Global Services (even if there isn't an available seat) and that gets everyone in the line really, really pissed. The manager was doing a good job and I told her I felt really sorry for them that they had to put up with this until the summer.

The lounge only has 120 seats according to the staff, and well over 1,000 biz seats just for United alone, daily.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by warrenw
The old First class lounge, same situation happened to me 10/23. I didn't take the $25 because I was first in line, but man what a cluster. Not only that but they'll let in Global Services (even if there isn't an available seat) and that gets everyone in the line really, really pissed. The manager was doing a good job and I told her I felt really sorry for them that they had to put up with this until the summer.

The lounge only has 120 seats according to the staff, and well over 1,000 biz seats just for United alone, daily.
Can you report as to whether the lounge's showers are available? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.