Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
The GFL has been so crowed during the mid to late morning period that I have decided it is not worth it to visit there anymore.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Have flights in C P class UA SFO-LAS connecting to LAS-EWR soon Should I try for access using Lufthansa Senator card? I don't want to walk from Amex Lounge if I will be denied -but I do prefer the old GFL to Amex lounge especially for a shower after all day in SF, after a AA F flight from JFK-SFO - used it Mid September before a UA flight SFO-SYD in C (D class) and was better than the old GFL except far more busy than Ive ever seen it from the old days of Global First to SYD and F on LX to ZRH
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cbourl
Have flights in C P class UA SFO-LAS connecting to LAS-EWR soon Should I try for access using Lufthansa Senator card? I don't want to walk from Amex Lounge if I will be denied -but I do prefer the old GFL to Amex lounge especially for a shower after all day in SF, after a AA F flight from JFK-SFO - used it Mid September before a UA flight SFO-SYD in C (D class) and was better than the old GFL except far more busy than Ive ever seen it from the old days of Global First to SYD and F on LX to ZRH
This is a bit hard to follow. You “prefer the old GFL”, then “and was better than old GFL”. In any case, you’re not going to get access to the former GFL. It’s not a United Club. The showers are no longer available either. The transition to a long-haul, non-UC departure lounge was early October. In mid-September, it was in it’s last days as a GFL.

The agents probably will probably glance at you BP and LH card for less than a second before you get a denial loud enough for the dozen people behind you to hear (and the suggestion to visit a UC, as your card allows).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 4, 2017 at 12:11 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by cbourl
With that itinerary, I highly doubt that you'd be able to get in the ex-GFL; I'd even say your chances are zero. IMHO, it'd be a huge waste of your time (and it'll probably annoy the agents too - they probably already get a huge influx of DYKWIA pax trying to get in). Stay at the Centurion Lounge or use your SEN status to get in one of the UCs.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Lounge crowded at 9am on Saturday?

We are flying SFO-ICN on 12/16 that flight leaves at 10:45 so assume boarding 10, would probably visit lounge from around 9am. Anyone know if it’s already busy at that time?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by SF1K
We are flying SFO-ICN on 12/16 that flight leaves at 10:45 so assume boarding 10, would probably visit lounge from around 9am. Anyone know if it’s already busy at that time?
It was standing room only when I visited at that time. It was one-out, one-in at the entry door. Shameful.

I left after 10 minutes and preferred to roam the concourse.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by climmy
It was standing room only when I visited at that time. It was one-out, one-in at the entry door. Shameful.

I left after 10 minutes and preferred to roam the concourse.
Sad. Ok - I'll try to time our arrival for minimal time at SFO. Two downgrades then, basically a bad lounge and when we originally booked we were in GF on a 777 and now in Biz on a 787.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Currently enjoying some champagne.

I entered with an AC SFO-YYZ boarding pass. No questions asked.

It's certainly not empty, but seats are aplenty. I walked until I found a group of four seats that only had one person.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

It's certainly not empty, but seats are aplenty. I walked until I found a group of four seats that only had one person.
I expect you got lucky and perhaps an agent who normally works the UC. I feel the original GFL dragons will follow the proper procedure and reject that. As one I recognized told the two people ahead of me "trans-Oceanic" J/F.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I expect you got lucky and perhaps an agent who normally works the UC. I feel the original GFL dragons will follow the proper procedure and reject that. As one I recognized told the two people ahead of me "trans-Oceanic" J/F.
I have entered 4 times now with AC BPs and no one has ever batted an eye, except for the first time, until he saw "BUSINESS CLASS".

And they just made an announcement for "Air Canada 738 with service to Toronto" inside the lounge. Why would they do that if I weren't allowed in?

Why do people in this thread seem to think that the sign, the access-granting-machines, AND the agents are all wrong?

Isn't it more likely that those three things are correct, and you're wrong?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow

You lucked out, but you shouldn’t have been allowed in. United needs to apply the stated policy consistantly. It may not happen in your case, but if entry is denied to a real premium long-haul passenger because it mistakenly allowed a North American passenger in by mistake, it is an example of UA’s continuing problem with applying policy incorrectly and inconsistently.

i agree w previous poster. Looks like a UC agent brought in to dupplement the overwhelmed GFL crew.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You lucked out, but you shouldn’t have been allowed in. United needs to apply the stated policy consistantly. It may not happen in your case, but if entry is denied to a real premium long-haul passenger because it mistakenly allowed a North American passenger in by mistake, it is an example of UA’s continuing problem with applying policy incorrectly and inconsistently.

i agree w previous poster. Looks like a UC agent brought in to dupplement the overwhelmed GFL crew.
Have you been to the lounge? When I made this linked post 2 weeks ago, it was yellow scarfed GS agents that were making the Canada announcements.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28956736-post409.html

The stated policy on the sign is that Canada flights get access. And no, I never received any email about the lounge, so the sign is the stated policy.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Have you been to the lounge? When I made this linked post 2 weeks ago, it was yellow scarfed GS agents that were making the Canada announcements.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28956736-post409.html

The stated policy on the sign is that Canada flights get access. And no, I never received any email about the lounge, so the sign is the stated policy.
notice went out that it was reserved for long-haul international flights (excludes N.A.). I’m not going to post the notice again. The change was made less than 2 weeks ago, so your info is outdated.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: None anymore
Something I found interesting was that when I was standing in line to get into the lounge the door guard looked at my BP and the gentleman behind me and announced him as "I have a GS" and announced me as "I have a Star Alliance Gold" to which the lounge lady said "we don't allow Star Alliance Gold." They let the GS in of course, but what I find fascinating is that my BP has "PREMIER 1K" written all over it plus "Polaris Business" why didn't he say either of those?????????? I chalk it up to maybe he was new.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
notice went out that it was reserved for long-haul international flights (excludes N.A.). I’m not going to post the notice again. The change was made less than 2 weeks ago, so your info is outdated.
Every Friday/Saturday, they continue to let me in when flying AC.

If you're contradicting the agents, the system, and the sign, you might want to consider whether those three elements are wrong, or you are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.