Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has announced that the SFO Polaris lounge is opening 30 April 2018

Summary
The International UC is closed for renovation to a Polaris Club. The SQ & BR lounges have been closed and will be integrated into the new facility. Polaris lounge open 30 April 2018.
SFO Polaris Lounge opens 30 April 2018 (Previews - Press 25th, MP 27th)

The old GFL (near G99) has been converted into a premium cabin international lounge (not an UC). Eventually, it will be converted into a UC for the non-premium cabin international passengers (*G in economy). Now operating as an United Club

The F and E concourse UCs plus again the temporary mezzanine UC lounge (across from Gate 71) are options for those not eligible for the temporary G premium cabin international lounge.

sign

Previous Updates

1 Oct 2017 on united.com
On October 1, the United Club location in the International Terminal will be closed to launch its transition into a United Polaris lounge. An additional United Club location will open across from Gate 71A on the mezzanine level at the end of September. Customers departing out of the International Terminal should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to their gate from the United Club location in Gate 71A or Concourse F.
posted 23 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Bummer - was just in GF lounge and was told that in two weeks it will be a United Club - no showers, no open bar, etc. Was also told that "Polaris" is just a marketing term and that until the actual Polaris lounge opens in 8 months, it's United Clubs for everyone. .....
posted 28 Sept 2017
Originally Posted by geclub1
EVA just sent out an email announcement that its SFO lounge is closed as of 1OCT17.
Originally Posted by findark
.... in the F club at SFO right now and there are signs announcing that the G club will close (entirely!) as of 01-Oct-17 for Polaris renovations. Possibly replaced by the decommissioned GFL?
Closure of San Francisco SilverKris Lounge for renovations

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in San Francisco will be closed for renovations starting from 01 October 2017. As part of the renovations, Singapore Airlines will begin a transition to a newly constructed, shared lounge facility operated by our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines. It is scheduled to open in early 2018.
Earlier thread summary
Summary of posts suggest the present SFO Global First Lounge will be available for much of first half of 2017. Reports are that the current Global First Lounge will become a "regular" UC, while the current international (G Terminal) UC will become a Polaris club (which will integrate the space currently housing the SQ & BR lounges). UA is also constructing a new UC, either in Terminal G or E (or both). Construction has begun in the G Terminal United Club, a large portion of which is now boarded off. Latest info from UA suggests "summer 2018" for the SFO Polaris lounge opening.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread) --- UA Polaris lounge update site
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

SFO G UC closed, reopens as Polaris Lounge 30 Apr 2018, old GFL is now the intl UC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by warrenw
Something I found interesting was that when I was standing in line to get into the lounge the door guard looked at my BP and the gentleman behind me and announced him as "I have a GS" and announced me as "I have a Star Alliance Gold" to which the lounge lady said "we don't allow Star Alliance Gold." They let the GS in of course, but what I find fascinating is that my BP has "PREMIER 1K" written all over it plus "Polaris Business" why didn't he say either of those?????????? I chalk it up to maybe he was new.
I assume you are a UNITED *AG? Earlier I was corrected when I said you could not gain access and was informed that if you were granted *AG status from any other airline (of course *A) OTHER THAN UNITED you would be given access. I am sure I will be corrected quickly if I am wrong. Quite honestly given the situation with the UC's at SFO now given this is my home hub I am now just arriving in time to just board and don't hit the clubs any more until the construction is done. Hence, I have not seen any of the signage discussed above or dealt with admission process.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by nomad420
I assume you are a UNITED *AG? Earlier I was corrected when I said you could not gain access and was informed that if you were granted *AG status from any other airline (of course *A) OTHER THAN UNITED you would be given access. I am sure I will be corrected quickly if I am wrong. Quite honestly given the situation with the UC's at SFO now given this is my home hub I am now just arriving in time to just board and don't hit the clubs any more until the construction is done. Hence, I have not seen any of the signage discussed above or dealt with admission process.
Not from my experience.... Unless you're flying in a premium cabin. *G doesn't get you into the old first class lounge which is now premium cabin only, which is why I was upset that he called that out instead of my business class seat or that I was 1K. It was odd. I still got in though.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Is it allowed to access the SFO former GFL if flying a connection SFO-XXX-YYY, where XXX-YYY is a UA Polaris flight? Or is it only for ex-SFO Polaris departures?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ryu2
Is it allowed to access the SFO former GFL if flying a connection SFO-XXX-YYY, where XXX-YYY is a UA Polaris flight? Or is it only for ex-SFO Polaris departures?
I think you'll be sent to the UC. You can try though.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I think you'll be sent to the UC. You can try though.
It's unfortunate that the GFL is such a long trek from any of the other UCs. I think rotunda club is clearly next best choice these days (despite tired decor) simply because it's least likely to get the overflow international pax. But that's about ten minutes each way.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's unfortunate that the GFL is such a long trek from any of the other UCs. I think rotunda club is clearly next best choice these days (despite tired decor) simply because it's least likely to get the overflow international pax. But that's about ten minutes each way.
If you have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card, the Amex Centurion Lounge can be a good choice, although it too gets overcrowded. I'm not sure that the rotunda club is any closer than the club at the 60 (E) pier.

It will certainly all get better once the Polaris Lounge opens
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seacarl
If you have an Amex Platinum or Centurion card, the Amex Centurion Lounge can be a good choice, although it too gets overcrowded.
The Centurion lounge is currently a complete disaster during the international departure banks. Literally SRO.

Originally Posted by seacarl
I'm not sure that the rotunda club is any closer than the club at the 60 (E) pier.
It's not closer. It's better because it's currently the least crowded UC during the international departure banks.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The Centurion lounge is currently a complete disaster during the international departure banks. Literally SRO.
First time in the Centurion was last Friday at SFO as my wife has a Amex Plat and we were out of gate 74. It was about 8AM and you could get a seat during the brief period of time that we were there. But it was packed. The bar was full of course. The club is smaller that I had envisioned. You could also tell that it had be well used that AM with plates and glassware everywhere and a already tired looking staff. It was nice to be able to look out the window and check on what was happening at my gate where the flight did board a few minutes late.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
So what exactly are the most crowded times at the GFL? I have an insane layover tomorrow 4pm - 10pm. Should I go straight there and not move? or can I club-hop a bit without fear of not getting a seat later?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by chavala
So what exactly are the most crowded times at the GFL? I have an insane layover tomorrow 4pm - 10pm. Should I go straight there and not move? or can I club-hop a bit without fear of not getting a seat later?
Take BART to the city and have dinner!
nnn likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a

Excellent advice. Six hours plenty of time. Centurion will already be full at 4 pm and just get worse from there. I would expect the GFL to start getting really crowded around 5 pm, in advance of the evening Europe departures.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a

I thought about it. It would be an easy ride to Hog Island in the Ferry Bldg (and we don't get those in TX!) ...but with a roller bag?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
I thought about it. It would be an easy ride to Hog Island in the Ferry Bldg (and we don't get those in TX!) ...but with a roller bag?
There's a travel agency at SFO that will store luggage. SFO Travel Agency
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'm about 90% sure the really sarcastic bartender from the international UC is now working the rotunda UC. Either that, or her doppelganger was today: After getting a gin and tonic (more gin than tonic, not that I'm complaining per se) and deciding to have a glass of red wine next, she asked "you didn't like my gin and tonic?"
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:40 pm

Here now, it’s so much worse than I thought. Not only crowded but the food offering are downright nauseating. All cold “salads” dripping with mayo or oil, and some supermarket quality cold cuts and wraps. One word to describe the buffet would be “gloopy”. Same cornstarchy tomatoe bisque as the temporary DFW club earlier today. At least an open bar. I shoulda woulda coulda been at Hog Island right now. Let this be a lesson for others with a long layover!

Kacee was right ; )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.