Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oct 13, 2016 UA Master computer down?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: ua 1k/*g, ge, hh g, spg/mr plat
interesting - UA twitter posted at 11:30pdt
We're aware of an issue with our system & are working to resolve it. We'll update as we learn more. We apologize for the inconvenience.
but nothing since...still seems spotty.

Last edited by califcoast; Oct 14, 2016 at 1:02 am
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
00:05 captain said we are good to go! Lets see what happens next.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
United twitter confirmed system is up and ground lifted at 00:00 PST

https://twitter.com/united/status/786828167663132673
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
System is not working. I got locked out due to not answering ALL the correct security questions.

Just called UA Web support and was told nothing they could do.

This is crazy. Not happy
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Out here on Guam. Website is up but I can't log-in online.

Saw several UA flights (NRT and MNL) depart from GUM although the NRT flight was waiting for some time on the tarmac.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Website still down?

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:51 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
3am PST and still can't login to website.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
3am PST and still can't login to website.
Working now 7am EDT. No problems.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:24 am

Working now for me
Old Oct 14, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I am in India and have not/not had any issues using UA apps, logging in, changing seats, and otherwise getting ready to fly to EWR tonight over the last 24 hours. Crazy!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
"Glitch" - the universal word for "buggered if I know but it was something to do with a computer".
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I continue to be amazed at how poorly UA does in communicating. Problems happen, but there is no excuse for the lack of communication coming for UA when problems do occur. First rule of crisis management: communicate. Second rule: communicate. Even if you do not have any updates, communicate.

Looking through all the social media comments, most are about lack of communication as much as the problem itself.

When will UA ever learn?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I flewLAX-SFO last night. Missed connection. So many people in line at customer service desks (UC closed .... why? When everything so messed up?) they came to people with yellow-handle bags and said [paraphrasing] "so many in line, it will be 90-120 minutes to get to you. Then not sure if hotels will be available. Book your room at reasonable rate and submit claim." When I asked "what's reasonable?" she laughed and said "not a suite at the Ritz."

Now sitting SFO UC. It's still a {mess}. Trying to catch up from mess last night -- and the storm moving thru this morning.

My 30-min flight has been ON TIME, then DELAYED 90 MIN, then DELAYED 30 MIN, then ON TIME, now DELAYED 123 MIN as they juggle planes and weather. My outbound scheduled to leave 17 mins before the inbound is schedule to land.

I'll wait til scheduled departure at 10:20 .... then probably will rent a car for 3-hour drive.

I don't blame them for computer outages .... but lack of succinct communication last night sucked. Today, the weather sucks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2016 at 11:36 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I was (thankfully) unaffected as I wasn't traveling yesterday, but am now seeing incorrect flight times listed on all my future reservations...

Both of my future ORD-CLE flights now show 2h18m flight times for a 5:33pm CST departure and a 7:51pm EST arrival... As if UA.com suddenly can't account for timezones.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I flewLAX-SFO last night. Missed connection. So many people in line at customer service desks (UC closed .... why? When everything so messed up?) they came to people with yellow-handle bags and said [paraphrasing] "so many in line, it will be 90-120 minutes to get to you. Then not sure if hotels will be available. Book your room at reasonable rate and submit claim." When I asked "what's reasonable?" she laughed and said "not a suite at the Ritz."

Now sitting SFO UC. It's still a {mess}. Trying to catch up from mess last night -- and the storm moving thru this morning.

My 30-min flight has been ON TIME, then DELAYED 90 MIN, then DELAYED 30 MIN, then ON TIME, now DELAYED 123 MIN as they juggle planes and weather. My outbound scheduled to leave 17 mins before the inbound is schedule to land.

I'll wait til scheduled departure at 10:20 .... then probably will rent a car for 3-hour drive.

I don't blame them for computer outages .... but lack of succinct communication last night sucked. Today, the weather sucks!
The inability to function without their main system shows how vulnerable society is to a big hack. What happened to manual intervention? Or, having a back-up plan to use another system like Saudia for the ticketing functions?

"The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades." -Timbuk3

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2016 at 11:37 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.