Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Booking on United.com (016 ticket)
Pro
-Category bonus with United Chase Credit cards (ie- the Explorer Card earns two miles per dollar spent on United.com but not on Lufthansa.com, for example)
- Deal directly with UA on UA schedule changes
- UA change rules are generally more generous
Con
- Many partner flights will be booked as UA codeshare and this can make some things more difficult or impossible -- such as *A upgrades, seat assignments, actual partner fare class is hidden, ..
- While not a major thing, in irrops, codeshares can be an extra issue for the agent
= Due to plating restrictions, partners may not allow UA access to the partners best fares

Partner site
Pro
- Native flight numbers (No codeshare issues)
- Deal directly with partner for partner schedule changes
- Access to partner's lowest fares

Unclear
- partner flights will earn PQPs based on miles and multiple and UA operated flights will earn PQPs in the fare method -- which may be hard to determine in advance
Not hard rule which is better but a good chance for higher cost tickets PQPs on 016 ticket are better, and also for lower cost fares, you need to run the numbers.

Does not matter
-
PQP earning & UA Lifetime mileage earning is unaffected by booking method
- On UA operated flight your UA elite benefits fully apply and you can use PlusPoints or miles to upgrade
Print Wikipost

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: None anymore
Ah ok gotcha. I guess I should know these things as a multi-year 1K but I have always booked on the operating carriers website, but in this instance I also found it on UA.com and it made me stop and think. I had always been under the assumption ua.com was always more expensive - not always the case! Think of all the miles I might have missed out on.

Thanks a million for the help findark!
Old May 24, 2018, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Right. Asiana is particularly harsh in that you only earn 1.0 to 1.25x the distance flying in Business. A JV partner like NH earns between 2.5x and 4.0x the distance as a 1K.
Right. Booking on UA stock is a way to get the 1K multiplier to apply to carriers where it otherwise wouldn’t.

In general, if you’re not bound by PQD considerations, it’s best to search both and make an educated decision. Sometimes the choice becomes easy, because many carriers refuse to let other airlines ticket their discount fares.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
UA site prices significantly lower on Star Alliance itin, is it safe to book

Dear all,
I am looking on Google Flights for a Europe - > US return trip. I find several options on other Star Alliance carriers that can be purchased on UA website for 25% less than any of the other carriers sites (which all respectively show the same price), apparently only because one or more segment are "Marketed as UAxxxx" - no UA metal in the itinerary.
This seems a little too good to be true, can I safely buy on UA site anyway - or am I missing something obvious that explains the price difference and that will hit me later ?
Example: all-LX outbound, all-LH return -> LX price = LH price >> UA price. I am looking at economy fares, and I don't care about award mileage.

Many thanks !!
Old May 24, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JudgeJ
This seems a little too good to be true, can I safely buy on UA site anyway - or am I missing something obvious that explains the price difference and that will hit me later ?
If the fare sticks through the ticketing process, you’ll be fine. UA aligns its fares with its joint venture partners, but it doesn’t align inventory. It’s possible that UA has more seats to sell from its allotment than the operating carrier does. The only potential gotcha would be if Google is showing you stale data, in which case you’ll see a higher price during the booking process.
artvandalay and JudgeJ like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: None anymore
Thanks guys for all the advice, I booked biz via UA.com for my OZ flight and everything is ticketed and confirmed!

Now I just need to figure out how to upgrade my parents' reservations (they're stopping through Korea on their RTW trip as part of my mom's recent retirement) I feel a little guilty sitting up front when they're all the way in the back........ They booked on OZ directly.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer
Originally Posted by jsloan

If the fare sticks through the ticketing process, you’ll be fine. UA aligns its fares with its joint venture partners, but it doesn’t align inventory. It’s possible that UA has more seats to sell from its allotment than the operating carrier does. The only potential gotcha would be if Google is showing you stale data, in which case you’ll see a higher price during the booking process.
Thank you very much ! The fare does remain unchanged from Google through to a dummy booking on UA - so it looks like we will be good. Greatly useful info, much appreciated !

J-
jsloan likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JudgeJ
Thank you very much ! The fare does remain unchanged from Google through to a dummy booking on UA - so it looks like we will be good. Greatly useful info, much appreciated !

J-
No problem.

I did think of one potential “gotcha,” though, but if anything I think this is likely to be in your favor. By US law, your baggage allowance is determined by the marketing carrier of the first segment for an itinerary that begins or ends in the US. The marketing carrier is whichever airline’s flight number is being used. So, if you buy the UA codeshare flights, you should be getting the UA baggage allowance, as if you were flying UA flights. (LH/LX would have the option to substitute their own baggage policies if that’s in your favor, although they don’t have to do so).

This may be a big deal if you’re planning to check a bag, as LH has begun to introduce Economy Light fares on intercontinental routes, including some from CPH. According to their own rules, plus the US DOT regulation, if you purchase a UA-marketed flight on those routes, you will get the regular baggage allowance, not the Light allowance (zero). Here’s a link to the Lufthansa documentation: https://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/...2119754587.pdf .

Other rights — such as EU261 eligibility, cost (if any) for seat assignments, etc. — depend on the operating carrier and are not affected by the code being used.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Help me decide: 016 ticket or non-016? P Fare.

DEL-YYZ-IAD RT in Business Class (P fare) for about $2600 booked via United or Air Canada website . I am United Silver and don't care about status or PQDs. However, I wish to earn maximum possible redeemable miles on MileagePlus.

If I book 016 ticket, I will only earn about $2000 x 7 = 14000 miles.

If I book non-016 ticket, I will earn distance flown x 2 + 25% = 30000 + 25% = 38k miles approx?

Is the math above correct? Sorry, I'm confused reading up this information online. Any other considerations. I'm assuming baggage allowance, lounge access etc. will be unchanged since it's a Business Class ticket.

I think one benefit of booking via Air Canada might be that they might offer cash upgrade to F.
Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, your math is correct, assuming that all the segments are operated by Air Canada. On a non-016 ticket you would earn 225% of the 15,492 "flown" miles (YYZ-IAD rounds up to 500), which is substantially more than the other case. If you don't care about PQD then the AC ticket is much better for you.

Just double-checking the AC operated part, as Air Canada does not offer First Class.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
If I book non-016 ticket, I will earn distance flown x 2 + 25% = 30000 + 25% = 38k miles approx?
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, your math is correct, assuming that all the segments are operated by Air Canada. On a non-016 ticket you would earn 225% of the 15,492 "flown" miles (YYZ-IAD rounds up to 500), which is substantially more than the other case. If you don't care about PQD then the AC ticket is much better for you.
OP's math is almost, but not quite, correct. It's not 30K + 25% = 38K, it's 30K + (25% of 15K) = 34K. In other words, the 25% bonus is based on the flight miles before the class of service bonus.

It's still substantially better than you'd get from a 016 ticket. The only people who should be ticketing this on 016 are US residents who need PQDs.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jsloan
OP's math is almost, but not quite, correct. It's not 30K + 25% = 38K, it's 30K + (25% of 15K) = 34K. In other words, the 25% bonus is based on the flight miles before the class of service bonus.

It's still substantially better than you'd get from a 016 ticket. The only people who should be ticketing this on 016 are US residents who need PQDs.
Thanks for pointing out that nuance! Last question: any benefits of booking on Air Canada website vs. Expedia in terms of change fees, crediting miles etc? Otherwise, I have Amex Platinum and ready to book on Air Canada website!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Thanks for pointing out that nuance! Last question: any benefits of booking on Air Canada website vs. Expedia in terms of change fees, crediting miles etc? Otherwise, I have Amex Platinum and ready to book on Air Canada website!
All else being equal (i.e., price), you're pretty much always better off booking directly with the carrier rather than an OTA (such as Expedia).

5x for AMEX Plat really seals the deal.
hokiebuy likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, UA Gold, Hilton Gold
Similar type question, I can't seem to find it in a search, so please if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I am interested in booking an international itinerary on UA metal but for some dumb reason, although exact same flights, its much cheaper booking it on a 3rd party than booking direct through United on their website. I also understand that flying LH would give the same PQM but I am still preferring to fly on UA metal and there are several options for both. Is there a way to just search for UA metal? When I try to restrict my search to just UA flights, LH flights come up being marketed as UA ones just saying something like "operated by LH" so although they are apparently being sold as UA flights (?) , still being actually LH flights. Does this matter with regard to earning lifetime miles? I mean if I want to earn these on UA, do I need to make sure I am on UA metal or is booking the ticket sold as UA enough?

Also, are there any advantages to booking something billed as UA even though its LH in reality, as opposed to just booking same in LH or vice versa? I just do not understand what the difference is, like if I book an itinerary, being marketed as either an LH flight but in actuality a UA flight or a UA flight in actuality being operated by LH, is there any benefit to MP in booking one over the other? Is there an explanation about this concept somewhere here? Please let me know if any other information is needed. Thanks so much!

I also forgot to ask, is there a way to find a listing of current polaris routes, like those using the newer format planes, I see there is currently a viable option for me on FRA-SFO but just wondered if there was an easy way to find this other than going into each flight detail and see the plane types? Thanks

Last edited by Shoredreamer; Oct 5, 2018 at 6:45 pm Reason: forgot to include a question
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
I am interested in booking an international itinerary on UA metal but for some dumb reason, although exact same flights, its much cheaper booking it on a 3rd party than booking direct through United on their website.
There are several possible reasons for that. One is that prices may differ depending upon the country of purchase. However, it's also possible that you're looking at a bulk-type ticket, which has its own set of earnings rules.

Is there a way to just search for UA metal?
You can do so using matrix.itasoftware.com. Click "Advanced controls" and then use O:UA+ in the routing codes box for "one or more flights operated by UA." Because, as you've pointed out, operating carrier and marketing carrier may differ, you might still see flights marketed by other airlines, but they'd be codeshares for the UA-operated flights.

When I try to restrict my search to just UA flights, LH flights come up being marketed as UA ones just saying something like "operated by LH" so although they are apparently being sold as UA flights (?) , still being actually LH flights. Does this matter with regard to earning lifetime miles? I mean if I want to earn these on UA, do I need to make sure I am on UA metal or is booking the ticket sold as UA enough?
Operating carrier, not marketing carrier, is what matters. You only earn UA lifetime miles for flights operated by UA.

Also, are there any advantages to booking something billed as UA even though its LH in reality, as opposed to just booking same in LH or vice versa?
You may get a better price, and you may be able to buy the ticket on United.com, which means your (redeemable) earnings may be different even though your PQM will be the same.

I just do not understand what the difference is, like if I book an itinerary, being marketed as either an LH flight but in actuality a UA flight or a UA flight in actuality being operated by LH, is there any benefit to MP in booking one over the other?
Other than as just described, no.

Is there an explanation about this concept somewhere here?
You're describing codeshares. They're basically used to allow airlines to collaborate to sell seats in ways that might otherwise be challenging.

I also forgot to ask, is there a way to find a listing of current polaris routes, like those using the newer format planes, I see there is currently a viable option for me on FRA-SFO but just wondered if there was an easy way to find this other than going into each flight detail and see the plane types? Thanks
Not really, no. You can do an equipment search on the same matrix.itasoftware.com site: in the extension codes box, you can put aircraft t:781 t:77w. All 77W and 781** aircraft in UA's fleet have true Polaris seating. However, retrofit planes can't be tracked this way; they're not loaded into the schedule until the last minute, and there seems to be little pattern.

* certain adjustments might be able to be done via a simple revalidation, if the carrier and number of stops doesn't change, but I'm not 100% sure and the experience that I had from trying to SDC a non-UA ticket doesn't make me want to push my luck.
** I really liked 78J, but, alas, 781 it is.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 5, 2018 at 8:05 pm Reason: split post
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Similar type question, I can't seem to find it in a search, so please if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I am interested in booking an international itinerary on UA metal but for some dumb reason, although exact same flights, its much cheaper booking it on a 3rd party than booking direct through United on their website. I also understand that flying LH would give the same PQM but I am still preferring to fly on UA metal and there are several options for both. Is there a way to just search for UA metal? ...
On UA,com, yes
Go to Advance Search options and select "My search preferences" and then UA only

Also, are there any advantages to booking something billed as UA even though its LH in reality, as opposed to just booking same in LH or vice versa? ...
This is a multi-faceted question. Only LH booked on UA ticket stock earns PQDs. Award miles are different for LH depending on ticket stock, but not for UA flights. There are some case for upgrades where native flight number are required

is there a way to find a listing of current polaris routes, like those using the newer format planes, I see there is currently a viable option for me on FRA-SFO but just wondered if there was an easy way to find this other than going into each flight detail and see the plane types? Thanks
See
United 77x Future/Changed Routes w/ Polaris Seats
Routes featuring the B763 Polaris seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.