Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Booking on United.com (016 ticket)
Pro
-Category bonus with United Chase Credit cards (ie- the Explorer Card earns two miles per dollar spent on United.com but not on Lufthansa.com, for example)
- Deal directly with UA on UA schedule changes
- UA change rules are generally more generous
Con
- Many partner flights will be booked as UA codeshare and this can make some things more difficult or impossible -- such as *A upgrades, seat assignments, actual partner fare class is hidden, ..
- While not a major thing, in irrops, codeshares can be an extra issue for the agent
= Due to plating restrictions, partners may not allow UA access to the partners best fares

Partner site
Pro
- Native flight numbers (No codeshare issues)
- Deal directly with partner for partner schedule changes
- Access to partner's lowest fares

Unclear
- partner flights will earn PQPs based on miles and multiple and UA operated flights will earn PQPs in the fare method -- which may be hard to determine in advance
Not hard rule which is better but a good chance for higher cost tickets PQPs on 016 ticket are better, and also for lower cost fares, you need to run the numbers.

Does not matter
-
PQP earning & UA Lifetime mileage earning is unaffected by booking method
- On UA operated flight your UA elite benefits fully apply and you can use PlusPoints or miles to upgrade
Print Wikipost

Pro/Cons of booking flights on partner site vs united.com

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Please correct me if I 'm wrong but I believe UA likes to price all partner (but not JV) tickets based 100% mileage accrual, so these tend to be higher fare classes than if you were buying straight from said partner.

I see that JV partners like ANA actually pricing is very similar if not identical to UA, but other carriers like OZ will be a lot more expensive on UA website. I'm guessing SQ doesn't have JV with UA?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Please correct me if I 'm wrong but I believe UA likes to price all partner (but not JV) tickets based 100% mileage accrual, so these tend to be higher fare classes than if you were buying straight from said partner. ...
In most case, by the use of plating restrictions, the partner is limiting UA's access to discount fare classes.
SQ is a classical example of this limitation -- created by SQ, not UA.
maverickar15 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maverickar15
Please correct me if I 'm wrong but I believe UA likes to price all partner (but not JV) tickets based 100% mileage accrual, so these tend to be higher fare classes than if you were buying straight from said partner.

I see that JV partners like ANA actually pricing is very similar if not identical to UA, but other carriers like OZ will be a lot more expensive on UA website. I'm guessing SQ doesn't have JV with UA?
typically, UA has nothing to do with this. Typically, it’s the OAL that has plating restrictions where they only allow full fares unless ticketed on their own stock (or those of JV partners. Some of the carriers that do this are SQ, TG, OZ, NZ, SA & BR - I’m sure there are others as well.
maverickar15 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For UA, to earn PQDs it must be
1) a UA operated flight (any ticket stock)
or
2) A partner operated flight on 016 ticket stock

nothing else

flight numbers mean nothing
As I expected. Sigh. Thanks for the definitive answer.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:23 pm

Booking United Flights with Star Alliance Partner

I’ve been tracking the price of a UA flight on Google flights that happens to also be a codeshare available on Air Canada. The price of the AC-stock flight is 25% less than the 016-stock flight on United.

1. If I book this UA flight via Air Canada, will I get to use my 1K benefits?
2. Curious, who sets the price on the codeshare tickets? Never have seen such a big price discrepancy before.

I’m sure this has been answered before, apologies in advanced.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by az22
.... 1. If I book this UA flight via Air Canada, will I get to use my 1K benefits? ...
Yes, except you will need to deal with AC for ticket issues and you will not get UA's change policies.

....2. Curious, who sets the price on the codeshare tickets? Never have seen such a big price discrepancy before. .....
Codeshares have access to different inventory and if the lower fare class has sold out on UA, you can see this. It will likely readjust soon.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:47 pm

Thanks! I couldn’t tell what fare class the AC ticket was during the booking process. Don’t know if there is an “expert flyer mode” equivalent over there.

Interesting on the codeshare inventory access.. didn’t know that. Now I’ll be sure to check UA codeshares on partners before booking.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I’ve been tracking the price of a UA flight on Google flights that happens to also be a codeshare available on Air Canada. The price of the AC-stock flight is 25% less than the 016-stock flight on United.

1. If I book this UA flight via Air Canada, will I get to use my 1K benefits?
2. Curious, who sets the price on the codeshare tickets? Never have seen such a big price discrepancy before.

I’m sure this has been answered before, apologies in advanced.
It is normal to see UA codeshares more expensive than AC native flight numbers. UA does not open up K, G very often. I have seen differences >25% on transborder flights. Earning miles will be MUCH better in most cases on a 016 UA ticket. I sometimes book outbound UA codeshare and inbound AC code to get the 016 ticket and 1/2 the price-difference
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:12 am

Looking at 2 RT tickets in premium economy EWR-LHR in August. I can currently buy United flights on the Lufthansa website $360 cheaper (per person) than buying direct on the United site. Any downside to booking via Lufthansa? These are the cheapest tickets I've seen thus far beating any other airline on the route.

I have no status on either airline. I haven't bought premium economy on any airline before and usually don't purchase this far out for economy, but the PE cabins are small and I'm presuming (maybe wrongly) that prices won't drop much and I should grab the tickets now.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sccaflagger74
Looking at 2 RT tickets in premium economy EWR-LHR in August. I can currently buy United flights on the Lufthansa website $360 cheaper (per person) than buying direct on the United site. Any downside to booking via Lufthansa? These are the cheapest tickets I've seen thus far beating any other airline on the route. ....
It is generally easier to handle schedule changes if the you are booking with the flight operator and not a codeshare.

Another advantage booking with UA, is it has better policies on voluntary cancellation and rebooking. Not sure what the LH fees are nowadays but UA has none. And any flight credit will have to be reused with the ticketing carrier .

If you have no schedule changes by the carrier or yourself and fly without any issues, then there is no difference. However if you or carrier starts making changes or irrops happen, the can be a difference. Whether the risk of those situations are worth the higher fare is a decision for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.