Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
Plus foreign passport holders can use the eGates (without signing up) to exit so it’s fairly quick to get through.
Oh that's interesting because the signs said "preregistration required" or something like that so I didn't try to use them.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
I'll be taking UA 872 which departs at 11:35AM, and I'll be coming from Kaohsiung. If I take one of the first trains from Zuoying which arrives at Taoyuan HSR at ~8:15AM, does that provide me enough time to take the MRT to the airport, check in, clear security/immigration? US passport holder flying in J with status if that helps. Or is it better to overnight in Taoyuan/Taipei area the night before?
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bioyuki
I'll be taking UA 872 which departs at 11:35AM, and I'll be coming from Kaohsiung. If I take one of the first trains from Zuoying which arrives at Taoyuan HSR at ~8:15AM, does that provide me enough time to take the MRT to the airport, check in, clear security/immigration? .....
You will have more than enough time if you arrive Taoyuan HSR by 9:30AM.
bioyuki likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bioyuki
I'll be taking UA 872 which departs at 11:35AM, and I'll be coming from Kaohsiung. If I take one of the first trains from Zuoying which arrives at Taoyuan HSR at ~8:15AM, does that provide me enough time to take the MRT to the airport, check in, clear security/immigration? US passport holder flying in J with status if that helps. Or is it better to overnight in Taoyuan/Taipei area the night before?
You should be fine. Status is meaningless at TPE except for check-in counters and boarding priority. You'll need to wait in the regular security line, but it starts to thin out after 10AM once the early morning departures are out of the way. I don't think overnighting is really necessary unless you're concerned about the train departing late or having an enroute problem.
bioyuki likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Doppy
Oh that's interesting because the signs said "preregistration required" or something like that so I didn't try to use them.
That's the case for entry. Upon exit, staff were ushering all eligible passengers toward the e-Gate lanes. I had a post in the e-Gate / Global Entry thread.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Doppy
The website also says enrolment required:
National Immigration Agency, R.O.C. (Taiwan) - e-Gate Enrollment
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:22 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
When did the TPE SQ SilverKris Lounge shut down?

I see it is "Closed until further notice."

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...es/silverkris/
It shut down during the pandemic along with the neighboring businesses on that side of the mezzanine level. Most things have re-opened so I suspect SQ is not planning on re-opening. .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Connecting in TPE?

UA is selling a fare with a connection at TPE with CX. What is connecting like at TPE? I'm assuming I just go through security before arriving airside?
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by lsquare
UA is selling a fare with a connection at TPE with CX. What is connecting like at TPE? I'm assuming I just go through security before arriving airside?
did it yesterday BR to NZ - absolutely no wait - quick security check and you are through to airside (computers could be left in bag, shoes on, belt off)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
did it yesterday BR to NZ - absolutely no wait - quick security check and you are through to airside (computers could be left in bag, shoes on, belt off)
That's awesome. Did something change? Is TPE using the new CT scanners?
Old Nov 14, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Arrived in T2 on Starlux and left T1 on CI.

I asked the staff both times, and both times they directed me to kiosk number 1 on the far right.

When I got there, APEC sign was promptly displayed. 2 people ahead of me on my arrival, and 5-6 people ahead on departure.

The departure hall was a zoo when I got there. All lines including e-gates and foreign passports are at least 20-30 people deep. The APEC line saved quite a bit of time.

There was a slight issue with my passport/situation (having both US and Hong Kong status), so they asked me to step aside for 2 mins while waiting for senior officers to resolve it. I discreetly snapped a picture of the area.

It seems staff are well aware of APEC, and sign is there, so they are no longer hiding it now.
SPN Lifer, 1KChinito, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.

Do you guys see any issue with this? It's my first time seeing this type of resolution to resolve *G alliance overcrowded issue.
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaboom36

Do you guys see any issue with this? It's my first time seeing this type of resolution to resolve *G alliance overcrowded issue.
I had no idea BR can do that to a *G from a particular flight.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
There was some limited discussion about this in the BR forum. IMO this is against *A rules and needs to be escalated somehow.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
There was some limited discussion about this in the BR forum. IMO this is against *A rules and needs to be escalated somehow.
I hope the OP, at a minimum, contacted the 1K desk. UA needs to look into this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.