Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

Got a fun one to ask about here...so on my third try, I think I have finally gotten my HKG-TPE-NTG award itinerary to book. First leg is on BR, while second leg is on ZH. However, when I look up my BR itinerary online, it only shows the first leg. Ergo, two questions - one probably more about the vagueries of MP award bookings, and one about TPE itself:

1) Do folks think I will be able to have the agents (presumably BR, since that is my first leg) get me checked through entirely to NTG when I get to HKG? Or if there are truly two separate itineraries per leg, on different PNRs, I will have to pick up my bags in TPE and re-check in?
2) Any idea on transit time of 1h55m being enough time should maximal contingencies occur? I feel like it might be cutting it a tad close.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Got a fun one to ask about here...so on my third try, I think I have finally gotten my HKG-TPE-NTG award itinerary to book. First leg is on BR, while second leg is on ZH. However, when I look up my BR itinerary online, it only shows the first leg. Ergo, two questions - one probably more about the vagueries of MP award bookings, and one about TPE itself:

1) Do folks think I will be able to have the agents (presumably BR, since that is my first leg) get me checked through entirely to NTG when I get to HKG? Or if there are truly two separate itineraries per leg, on different PNRs, I will have to pick up my bags in TPE and re-check in?
2) Any idea on transit time of 1h55m being enough time should maximal contingencies occur? I feel like it might be cutting it a tad close.
In my experience, Asian airlines and their employees tend to be very strict about rules and procedures. Usually anything that isn't concisely included in their training and procedures is outright denied. However, since both BR and ZH are *A members, it's possible the BR agents in HK would be willing to do this, but I am going to give an opinion that more likely than not, they will refuse because you're on two different tickets and PNRs and they will be confused by this if it's not documented in their regulations. What you can do is call BR reservations and ask them for their official policy on something like this.

Given this, can you change the itinerary to add more transit time? Worst case, the HK agents transfer the bags through and you can wait in a lounge vs sweating it out in the immigration line which can get very, very long depending on your arrival time, then back upstairs to check in with ZH before cutoff, and re-clear outbound security and immigration again.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I just booked a P fare BOS-TPE-BOS (via SFO) for mid-July, $2750 all in! Wowzers.

What's interesting is that "Premium Economy" is coming in $300 MORE for the same flights, and you get coach BOS<>SFO and PE (R class) on the SFO<>TPE. With the P fare, you get lie-flat on all four segments!
restlessinRNO and bocastephen like this.

Last edited by wxguy; May 3, 2019 at 5:37 pm
Old May 3, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
I just booked a P fare BOS-TPE-BOS (via SFO) for mid-July, $2750 all in! Wowzers.

What's interesting is that "Premium Economy" is coming in $300 MORE for the same flights, and you get coach BOS<>SFO and PE (R class) on the SFO<>TPE. With the P fare, you get lie-flat on all four segments!
Interesting. When I enter BOS-SFO-TPE in July I too get a P fare for $2753. However when I enter SFO-TPE for same dates, I get a P fare of $4887. (Business class RNO-SFO-TPE requires a D fare at $7360!)

Airline pricing has never made much sense to me.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:29 am

Priority security screening at Taiwan Taoyuan Airport?

When flying in economy as a *G or UA 1K, is there priority check-in and priority security screening at TPE? I forgot how things were like pre-COVID.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sau54
When flying in economy as a *G or UA 1K, is there priority check-in and priority security screening at TPE? I forgot how things were like pre-COVID.
Priority check-in lanes are managed by the airlines, but no priority screening
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Priority check-in lanes are managed by the airlines, but no priority screening
So TPE doesn't offer priority security screening for any airlines? Everyone, whether they're flying Y or J, uses the same security screening line?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
So TPE doesn't offer priority security screening for any airlines?
No.

Everyone, whether they're flying Y or J, uses the same security screening line?
Yes.
sau54 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
No.

Yes.
That's unfortunate! I wonder why there isn't priority security screening at TPE?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:36 pm

That's unfortunate! I wonder why there isn't priority security screening at TPE?
I know someone in airport management there, and we've had this debate endlessly - there is a feeling that the airport is for public use and certain classes of people should be given special privileges because of their airline membership or airline cabin assignment. In fact, the APEC card entrance is hidden away so almost no one can find it and airport staff repeatedly deny its existence to anyone who asks.

It's a highly annoying situation that is unlikely to ever change because of a very stubborn, old-fashioned mindset.
SPN Lifer and sau54 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:08 pm

I know someone in airport management there, and we've had this debate endlessly - there is a feeling that the airport is for public use and certain classes of people should be given special privileges because of their airline membership or airline cabin assignment. In fact, the APEC card entrance is hidden away so almost no one can find it and airport staff repeatedly deny its existence to anyone who asks.

It's a highly annoying situation that is unlikely to ever change because of a very stubborn, old-fashioned mindset.
the APEC line was already not the “behind the scenes” crew/staff line pre pandemic Dec 2019. It was already part of the general security entry door but to the side on the left… at least for the UA/BR terminal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The up side is the line moves pretty fast.
leftysauce likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by username
The up side is the line moves pretty fast.
Not on my last trip to TPE in the summer of 2018! There was a huge line as I was trying to catch the UA flight flying back to SFO!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by myperks
the APEC line was already not the “behind the scenes” crew/staff line pre pandemic Dec 2019. It was already part of the general security entry door but to the side on the left… at least for the UA/BR terminal.
Good to know they moved it, I haven't been able to get there since the block on foreign arrivals. I assume the entrance is staffed and monitored to check for valid cards? Does it now spill into the general security line or still have its own x-ray and metal detector?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 4:51 pm

Good to know they moved it, I haven't been able to get there since the block on foreign arrivals. I assume the entrance is staffed and monitored to check for valid cards? Does it now spill into the general security line or still have its own x-ray and metal detector?
have their own to the very left of the general security. It’s roped off as you enter from the outside and hang a left. Someone is checking and they were flexible with accompanying family members (at least back in Dec 2019). What I don’t remember is if that is also the crew line but I do remember seeing an APEC sign sticking out from the roping poles.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.