Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by uanj
If transit is not open you can clear immigration and wait in T2 in the basement level landside food court until the airport reopens. I don't know what is open at that time, if you need something I would ask at the information desk as soon as you leave Customs. They should be able to tell you what is open and the best place to hang around and wait. T1 should have something similar.

I have been stuck there because a flight was delayed 8 hours overnight and we could not even check in. You'll survive just fine..

To help you out, if you have a US passport and Gobal Entry which I think you may, you can apply for eGate clearance at TPE airport. Fill out the form online, pay, and when approved you have 180 days to do an interview. They take your prints and photo at the interview and it is effective immediately. Then when you need to enter or exit Taiwan it will be much faster.

e-Gate ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (immigration.gov.tw)
The link doesn't seem to work. I'm sort of curious if anyone else knows what time transit security closes and reopen. Maybe I'll take the second last HKG-TPE flight to guarantee i can get into airside and not enter Taiwan.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fumje
I've done that at ZRH and FRA since it helps keep the transfer time a known quantity and can avoid the transit security screening. In that context, the border control is more "nothing" than the security. Helps fill up the passport pages too.
Actually at BRU, I'd prefer transit screening vs going out and doing regular screening. They don't allow it since I don't have the BP. Luckily they have the Gold Track.
As for more "nothing", Not when you've gotten use to COVID era line and suddenly show up to a 30min wait.
Also, the agents have been getting more haphazard with where they stamp and I'm starting to get worried about having enough blank pages before it expires.

It sounds like the case is the opposite at TPE. Less lounge options
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
The link doesn't seem to work. I'm sort of curious if anyone else knows what time transit security closes and reopen. Maybe I'll take the second last HKG-TPE flight to guarantee i can get into airside and not enter Taiwan.
I dont know what time it closes, but it opens at 430a.

Given there are departures until around 245a, I suspect it cant close tooooooo early.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Last edited by cmhua777; May 14, 2024 at 10:23 pm
Old May 14, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Anyone else having a problem with the link? I just tried and it opened just fine. Try again here andlet me know if you have a problem.

Taiwan eGate does not get you a stamp unless you take the time to ask for it and saves passport pages. And for those countries where immigration needs to look at every stamp this saves taime.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone else having a problem with the link? I just tried and it opened just fine. Try again here andlet me know if you have a problem.

Taiwan eGate does not get you a stamp unless you take the time to ask for it and saves passport pages. And for those countries where immigration needs to look at every stamp this saves taime.
The new link doesnt work for me either.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Works fine for me on W11 Desktop with FF, Chrome and Edge

Anyone can get to the actual link by quoting the post, turning on Source edit model and copying the link directly
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj (Post # 190)
To help you out, if you have a US passport and Gobal Entry which I think you may, you can apply for eGate clearance at TPE airport. Fill out the form online, pay, and when approved you have 180 days to do an interview. They take your prints and photo at the interview and it is effective immediately. Then when you need to enter or exit Taiwan it will be much faster.

e-Gate ENROLLMENT SYSTEM (immigration.gov.tw)
Originally Posted by uanj (Post # 199)
Thank you for this important advice about enrolling for the Taiwan immigration e-Gate. It could be very useful for many FlyerTalkers.

https://egate.immigration.gov.tw/ge-...dItem=section1

The link worked fine for me, too, on a Huawei Android cell phone, using Chrome.
uanj likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 15, 2024 at 12:10 am
Old May 15, 2024, 12:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
There is an existing thread here for e-Gate for Global Entry. Since enrollment is NT$3,000, I probably wouldn't do it for a single TPE connection. Furthermore, for an evening or later arrival, I wouldn't think there would be much of a wait for passport control.

The McDonald's in Terminal 2 in the food court was definitely 24 hours before 2020, but I haven't had an off hours arrival into TPE since then so I couldn't say if that is still the case more than what the website says.

The Novotel might have special rates, but my go to "airport" hotel for TPE is now the Four Points in Linkou. It's 4 stations away from Terminal 2, and the Linkou MRT station is next door to the hotel.
moondog and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
There is an existing thread here for e-Gate for Global Entry. Since enrollment is NT$3,000, I probably wouldn't do it for a single TPE connection. Furthermore, for an evening or later arrival, I wouldn't think there would be much of a wait for passport control.

The McDonald's in Terminal 2 in the food court was definitely 24 hours before 2020, but I haven't had an off hours arrival into TPE since then so I couldn't say if that is still the case more than what the website says.

The Novotel might have special rates, but my go to "airport" hotel for TPE is now the Four Points in Linkou. It's 4 stations away from Terminal 2, and the Linkou MRT station is next door to the hotel.
I'm not interested heading to the 4P even for a few hours in this scenario.

How long is the e-gate program valid for? NT$3000 isn't cheap if it's only for a short period of time.

Is there a way to check what flights are departing TPE from 00:30-1:30?
Old May 15, 2024, 4:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not interested heading to the 4P even for a few hours in this scenario.

How long is the e-gate program valid for? NT$3000 isn't cheap if it's only for a short period of time.

Is there a way to check what flights are departing TPE from 00:30-1:30?
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...departures/TPE
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 7:47 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Thank you for this important advice about enrolling for the Taiwan immigration e-Gate. It could be very useful for many FlyerTalkers.

https://egate.immigration.gov.tw/ge-...dItem=section1

The link worked fine for me, too, on a Huawei Android cell phone, using Chrome.
Slowly more people seem to be aware of this GE reciprocal benefit, Taiwanese who are not US residents can also apply for GE. On my last UA flight into TPE 6 weeks ago or so the purser came to me just before landing and politely asked why so many people "who don't look Taiwanese" say they are staying in Taiwan but don't need a landing card. I told her about eGate and she said she would ask United to update their landing announcement since it does not cover that possibility and FAs are trying to give printed landing cards to people who say they don't need them.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS
Slowly more people seem to be aware of this GE reciprocal benefit, Taiwanese who are not US residents can also apply for GE. On my last UA flight into TPE 6 weeks ago or so the purser came to me just before landing and politely asked why so many people "who don't look Taiwanese" say they are staying in Taiwan but don't need a landing card. I told her about eGate and she said she would ask United to update their landing announcement since it does not cover that possibility and FAs are trying to give printed landing cards to people who say they don't need them.
I don't think its fully because of eGate. You can now fill out the landing card online in advance of your arrival. I do this for every trip now. Never bothered signing up for eGate since APEC card line is always fast too.
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It's valid for 5 years from date of first approval.

Originally Posted by ryder1650
You can now fill out the landing card online in advance of your arrival. I do this for every trip now.
I question how many are using the electronic arrival card. Perhaps more people have ARCs than 10+ years ago?
lsquare likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Majuki
It's valid for 5 years from date of first approval.

I question how many are using the electronic arrival card. Perhaps more people have ARCs than 10+ years ago?
At SFO at least, the gate agents have reminded folks to fill it out on some of my recent trips (not all trips).
Majuki likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this is the UA forum and there is an existing TPE e-gate thread and various TPE airport threads, let's return to an UA focus discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.