Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree, but for the record my position that BR denying UA872 pax access to its own lounges is based on principle rather than lounge quality. If BR can systematically deny UA J/*G pax from its published *G lounges, that sets a precedent for other airlines to do the same.
Don't you think BR passengers being unable to use the SFO Polaris Lounge (or even a United Club) is a bigger deal (in principle or any other way you slice it) than UA passengers being unable to use one of several mediocre lounges in TPE? BR was relegated to the A Pier at SFO before this thread started.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 28, 2024 at 12:31 pm
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Don't you think BR passengers being unable to use the SFO Polaris Lounge (or even a United Club) is a bigger deal (in principle or any other way you slice it) than UA passengers being unable to use one of several mediocre lounges in TPE? BR was relegated to the A Pier at SFO before this thread started.
Are BR pax at SFO banned from using the Polaris Lounge?

I believe they absolutely could use the Polaris lounge per PL rules, but they would have to clear security twice due to the layout of the airport. BR along with some other *A airlines were moved to the A gates due to limited gate availability at SFO G gates.
Majuki likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, there's no hard stop on BR pax using any of the UA lounges they're entitled to at SFO. J/*G pax won't be summarily denied access to any UC, and J pax have the above-and-beyond option of the PL. There's no written rule that *A airlines must be assigned a G gate at SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree, but for the record my position that BR denying UA872 pax access to its own lounges is based on principle rather than lounge quality. If BR can systematically deny UA J/*G pax from its published *G lounges, that sets a precedent for other airlines to do the same.
BR & SQ did this for years at SFO (pre-Polaris Lounge), SQ does not follow the *A rules at SIN (and has not for years) and ..... This is not new, precedent long set. There does seem to be a crowding issue and an reasonable alternative is provided. UA has had its irregularities over the years This seem to fit the tilting-at-windmills category.

If no comparable alternative presented, UA only remedy is retaliation, My guess is TPE UA agreed / accepted the alternative.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
Are BR pax at SFO banned from using the Polaris Lounge?
Of course they're not banned, but no sane person would use a G pier lounge for an A pier gate. Hence, BR and SQ have made other lounge arrangements.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Of course they're not banned, but no sane person would use a G pier lounge for an A pier gate. Hence, BR and SQ have made other lounge arrangements.
Wait, you're saying that the completely normal flyertalk behaviour of clearing security twice or more solely to lounge hop is not sane?!
moondog, jsloan, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.