Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deadline to cancel/redeposit award ticket...?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:06 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
related thread - Minimum latest time to cancel (cash) UA ticket for credit?

You want to cancel before you are marked as a "no show."
You can be marked as a non-show at T-15 minutes (domestic) and T-30 minutes (international) and earlier a handful of airports (T-60). This will certainty happen when the flight is "closed" which can be soon afterwards. Note this assumes you have checked in. Check-in deadline is 30-45 minutes domestic and 60 minutes international, again there are a few even earlier exceptions.

If the first segment is a partner segment, check on their "no show" times. UA does state you need 24 hours to change a partner ticket but that does not apply to cancellations.

Award tickets can be redeposited even after departure but there is $125 no-show fee (no exceptions for any elites)

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 13, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient

can this be done right up to, say, 15 mins before departure?

premier plat redeeming account so presumably no redeposit fees.
Old Sep 4, 13, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM
I was just wondering the same thing, especially when partner airlines are involved.
Old Sep 4, 13, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Way too close for my blood. An hour is a better timeframe.
Old Sep 4, 13, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM, AA Gold-MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I suppose it depends if the GA closes the door 26 minutes early..... in which case you might be 11 minutes too late!
Old Jan 18, 14, 5:54 pm

When is deadline to cancel an award booking?

Hi all, just a quick question, I see that changes to award bookings with star alliance partners need to be at least 24 hours prior to flight departure. What about cancellations? Thanks
Old Jan 18, 14, 7:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I canceled a SIN-TPE award flight on SQ (last year, when these were easily booked) at T-18 and got the miles redeposited, no charge for a 1K (which may also apply to other elite levels).
Old Jan 19, 14, 8:46 am

Awesome, thanks for the response
Old Jan 19, 14, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I canceled a SIN-TPE award flight on SQ (last year, when these were easily booked) at T-18 and got the miles redeposited, no charge for a 1K (which may also apply to other elite levels).
Has any one tried and pushed the limit to T minus a single digit hour? Or better yet tried to cancel and redeposit mile after the departure time has passed?
Old Jan 19, 14, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1066 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I canceled a partner (LH) award today about 30 minutes prior to departure. The system had no issues with it.
Old Jan 19, 14, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Here's another data point: I recently canceled a partner airline (SQ) about 4 hours before departure. Did the cancellation online. The only problem I had was that the miles didn't get automatically refunded. A quick call in solved that.
Old May 24, 14, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I had some trouble with a late cancellation but got it resolved in the end. I was cutting it too close...

Lesson I learned is that if it is checked-in to follow through with the gate agents to get it offloaded before boarding time to avoid any possible confusion.
Old Aug 11, 14, 10:26 am

Cutoff to cancel an award ticket?

Can I cancel an award ticket an hour before the flight time?
Old Mar 12, 15, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
As far as when you can cancel and still get the miles back:

I was recently able to cancel a miles-redemption flight a couple hours before the first leg was scheduled to depart. The miles credit happened almost instantly - no problem.

Note that I had not checked-in for the flight to be cancelled. Not sure what happens if you want to cancel a flight for which you have checked in the first leg.
Old Mar 12, 15, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
Not sure what happens if you want to cancel a flight for which you have checked in the first leg.
You have to undo the check-in first.
Old Mar 12, 15, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Just another data point: in December 2014, I had checked into a flight (domestic, UA) and it was just under one hour before departure. I called to undo the check in, cancel the flight, and refund the miles. It was pretty painless.

Search this Thread