Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread: Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges {Archive}

Jan 2024
Originally Posted by ftweb
I'm a 1K (hence *G) flying TPE-SFO in Polaris. The Singapore Airlines lounge in TPE terminal 2 displays the star alliance logo, but I was denied entrance as a UA *G flying UA. The agent told me that they have special permission from star alliance to deny United flyers and send us to the Plaza Premium lounge because of capacity problems. ....Thanks.
Originally Posted by kaboom36
I recently took UA872 from TPE to SFO departing 11:10am. I am a 1K and had a paid C Polaris seat. Upon checking at the UA TPE ticket counter, I was notified by the UA CheckIn agent 872 flight pax is to use "Plaza Premium Lounge" instead of Eva lounge for *G and UA Polaris business class ticketed passenger. I thought it was just another option or lounge we can use at TPE. Therefore, I still went to the Eva lounge (designated *G lounge) and tried to enter the lounge. I was denied entrance. The Eva lounge attendant said anyone with UA872 ticket regardless of *G status or business class can not use Eva lounge due to "space limitation". UA contracted with Plaza Premium Lounge for flight 872.

Then I got further clarification from lounge manager that this restriction is only for UA872 ticket passenger. And it's not restricted for another TPE to SFO flight UA852 which departed later during the day at 1:10pm.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated TPE logistics / connections / lounges (lounge access issue Jan 2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Plaza Premium is not a BR or *A lounge.
Irrelevant if BR has subcontracted to them for their responsibility on that UA flight.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Doesn't align with *A lounge access policy, which states that J and *G pax have access to any J lounges that display the *G logo. Of course, it's in the fine print that airlines are allowed to turn away pax when a lounge is at capacity, but doing so on a blanket basis for all pax of a certain airline/on a certain flight violates the spirit of that provision IMO.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Doesn't align with *A lounge access policy, which states that J and *G pax have access to any J lounges that display the *G logo. Of course, it's in the fine print that airlines are allowed to turn away pax when a lounge is at capacity, but doing so on a blanket basis for all pax of a certain airline/on a certain flight violates the spirit of that provision IMO.
OK, so they just need to cover up the logo.

The outcome you're hoping for -- UA pressuring BR to allow its guests into the Infinity or Star lounge -- is not going to happen.
SPN Lifer, 1KChinito and United747 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:58 am

Any Need for Paper BP at TPE?

Hi, TPE newbie here. I’ll be flying soon from TPE-SFO—is there any need to stop by the UA counter to get a paper BP or is the electronic version fine for passport control, lounge access, etc? I didn’t see an answer upthread, apologies if I missed it.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ToadHallRacing
Hi, TPE newbie here. I’ll be flying soon from TPE-SFO—is there any need to stop by the UA counter to get a paper BP or is the electronic version fine for passport control, lounge access, etc? I didn’t see an answer upthread, apologies if I missed it.
Mobile is fine, no need for paper - keep in mind no BR lounge access for UA customers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Mobile is fine, no need for paper - keep in mind no BR lounge access for UA customers.
I was able to access the Infinity lounge with my Polaris ticket earlier this year. I believe they're only restricting access to people on the earlier UA flight, not the later one.
moondog and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
I was able to access the Infinity lounge with my Polaris ticket earlier this year. I believe they're only restricting access to people on the earlier UA flight, not the later one.
That is correct.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That's an odd decision given how many late night departures there are for EVA, but interesting to know.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's an odd decision given how many late night departures there are for EVA, but interesting to know.
Not sure if the schedule changes for the summer, but currently the UA flights are 10:20 AM and 1:10 PM. I think they were even closer together prior to the start of Daylight Saving Time. So while I agree with you that it's an odd decision, I'm not sure the evening block is relevant to their decision-making.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:25 pm

Not sure if the schedule changes for the summer, but currently the UA flights are 10:20 AM and 1:10 PM. I think they were even closer together prior to the start of Daylight Saving Time. So while I agree with you that it's an odd decision, I'm not sure the evening block is relevant to their decision-making.
Oos I thought UA had a late night flight returning to the USA as they have a late night to Taipei. I've been to the BR lounges multiple times and it's very busy early morning so the 1020AM restriction makes sense, but certainly by noon and early afternoon it's a dead zone.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:27 pm

Programs: United Plat
From 4/1 to 10/26:
UA 872: 9:50am departure
UA 852: 12:10pm departure

Then in winter:
UA 872: 11:10am departure
UA 852: 1:10pm departure

I think Polaris and *A Gold passengers on UA872 are not allowed to use BR lounge regardless of departure time.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and 1KChinito like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
BR has a large number of Asian departures in the morning, so there are a lot more people in the lounge and the "business" side seems full early in the morning. The Star Gold side always has seats. And honestly there are very minimal differences between the two.

I would bet money the BR reasoning is that they could not take accommodate an additional 60 pax on the business side from the first UA flight. But really, the morning rush is starting to die down as UA 872 passengers trickle in. Why BR could not use the Star Gold as an overflow lounge is mystifying since the showers are on that side anyway and the food is nearly identical.

The early afternoon flight comes at a time when the lounge is not that busy so BR has no reason to deny any passengers at that time. But honestly, considering the really high standards BR now consistently achieves in flight its flagship lounge in TPE is a bit underwhelming. The half late 80s disco bling half Jetsons decor is far more outstanding than the run of the mill food and drink selection. And the windows overlook departure immigration so no interesting plane spotting.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
The only reason anyone would want to use EVA lounge is their shower. Food at EVA lounges is subpar, similar to a cafeteria. You would think TPE is their home base, they would have better food. If you have Priority Pass, go straight to Plaza Premium. Even Oriental Club has better food.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
The only reason anyone would want to use EVA lounge is their shower. Food at EVA lounges is subpar, similar to a cafeteria. You would think TPE is their home base, they would have better food. If you have Priority Pass, go straight to Plaza Premium. Even Oriental Club has better food.
the Plaza Premium has a nice shower, better than BR’s imo
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
I agree, but for the record my position that BR denying UA872 pax access to its own lounges is based on principle rather than lounge quality. If BR can systematically deny UA J/*G pax from its published *G lounges, that sets a precedent for other airlines to do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.