Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much should I pay for First to Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35

So I'm flying from Montreal to HNL later this fall and I see economy one way (already booked a separate return ticket to another city) at $357 vs $623 for first. It's a 2.5 Hr United express flight to Chicago and then a 9hr flight to Hawaii on the 777.

What do people think about paying the difference for first class? I know hawaii first isn't much to write home about but it is a fairly long flight. Also I'm Canadian so with the exchange rate the difference in fares is CDN$340 effectively so makes the decision a little bit harder...
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Is cCDN$40 per hour for significantly greater comfort (a little bit less in reality as you would otherwise have to buy food) worth it? Only you can answer.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
My personal decision point is, if <$800 then pay money, if >$800 then use miles (40k saver first). For $623 I would personally do it.

It would be better if you could route YUL-EWR-HNL, as the long segment would be lay-flat. But I doubt that's available for the same price. Still, 9h on B777 is better than flying the same distance on a B737.

Another factor for First vs Econ is the new 777 Domestic reconfig...if ORD-HNL becomes one of those (see 777-200 v5 seatmap), then Econ will be 10-across, 17" wide seats. And lay-flat in First.

Happy travels!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by highlander88
So I'm flying from Montreal to HNL later this fall and I see economy one way (already booked a separate return ticket to another city) at $357 vs $623 for first. It's a 2.5 Hr United express flight to Chicago and then a 9hr flight to Hawaii on the 777.
For such a long flight, $623 one-way is an excellent fare. As someone else already stated, you may get lucky and end up with flat beds on your ORD-HNL leg.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the question is whether it is a good price, it is.

If the question is whether it is good value, only you know the answer. What is CAD 266 to you? If your kids will go without shoes or your house will be foreclosed, stick with Y. If this is what you spend at the bar on a Friday evening after work, why are you even asking?

To me, even if it is the lousiest aircraft in the UA system, the extra room and even limited extra recline make this 9-hour flight worth $266. The food is the food and whether it's good or bad, it won't be great. If you like anything, the F meals will be fine. If you are picky, there are tons of options at ORD and you can find virtually anything you want and bring it along.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Sounds like a perfect use for a regional.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Are you checking bags? Would you alternatively be buying food at ORD (versus eating in F onboard)? Would you purchase E+ in Y? Would you buy a couple of beverages in Y?

If yes to any (or all) of the above, that may close the price gap.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
If the question is whether it is a good price, it is.
It's an excellent price. Price is same or higher from SFO.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Another factor to consider is the bonus miles that you would earn from flying in First versus coach. These could be worth a hundred dollars or so on such a long haul, depending on which program you credit them to and what your elite qualification goal is.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Just as a point of contrast, this is just a bit more than I'd fork over for a one-way domestic F, even one that was nine hours. I can come up with a lot of really nice ways to spend that in Hawaii that would bring me a lot more enjoyment. I'd suck it up and settle into an E+ seat with some food from the terminal and look forward to my trip, and perhaps try to route through the west coast for more comfortable equipment.

I'd also be on the lookout for $150 buy-up offers.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E35
Okay thanks everyone, appreciate the insights.

I'm gonna go ahead and book the F seat, with the 5,000 extra miles which I (probably generously) value at 0.02c/mile, that helps narrow the difference a bit.

Also the fare came down from $622 to $589, and although the diff between Y and F didn't change, it's nice psychologically.

Originally Posted by PVDProf
Just as a point of contrast, this is just a bit more than I'd fork over for a one-way domestic F, even one that was nine hours. I can come up with a lot of really nice ways to spend that in Hawaii that would bring me a lot more enjoyment. I'd suck it up and settle into an E+ seat with some food from the terminal and look forward to my trip, and perhaps try to route through the west coast for more comfortable equipment.

I'd also be on the lookout for $150 buy-up offers.
Yeah see my problem is my elite status is with air canada and that doesn't get me E+... which would mean $143 to purchase an E+ seat at booking at least

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 6, 2016 at 12:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by highlander88
Yeah see my problem is my elite status is with air canada and that doesn't get me E+... which would mean $143 to purchase an E+ seat at booking at least
Hah, E- to F makes it that much easier. I'd pay that difference for a 5-hr transcon, let alone 9.5 hours to Hawaii (and presumably ORD-HNL is the 77H which is very comfortable ride up front for a daytime flight). Easy choice IMO.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
As stated before, for so long in first $623 is a great fare.. plus the extra PQM/PQS
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Member

You can't even buy Economy from JAX for $600+....I'd be all over a First Class fare of $623 in a second...I believe it's over $2000 one way for First Class from JAX-HNL..
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
OP - you might want to initially buy in coach and see what might pop up when you finish the transaction for buying up to F. Sometimes it's the simple difference between the two prices already offered. Sometimes more. Sometimes less.

If the difference is more, cancel and refund the ticket. Then buy it in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.