Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godbreath
I want to travel SFO -> HND -> CTS (HND -> CTS is a short 1.5 hr domestic Japan flight). Right now I booked an award with SFO -> HND because there is no availability for HND -> CTS for our dates. If HND -> CTS becomes available, will I be able add it on my ticket? I am plat, so there is no fee to change tickets or cancel provided its far enough. But if theres no availability for the SFO -> HND route, would I still be able to make the change?
Generally, you would be able to add a connection onto a UA-operated flight, even if the award space is no longer present. The fully-dynamic pricing could eventually make this difficult or impossible, however.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt, Marriott Rewards
UA Award Routing Question

All, I have a beginner question. I want to book award travel in Business from IAD-VIE in October. United's website shows available business saver award travel from IAD to AMS and then a Basic Economy flight from AMS to VIE on Austrian Airlines. Now, if I search IAD-PRG, it shows Business Saver from IAD-GVA, and then connects via Austrian in business through VIE to PRG. If I call, would UA allow me to book the Business Saver that goes IAD-GVA-VIE without the final hopp to Prague, or is that our of their hands as it's a partner flight? I'm trying to avoid a long layover and also trying to avoid Austrian's basic economy.

I know there's a chance Saver space will pop up on the direct IAD-VIE on Austrian, or the IAD-FRA-VIE route on Lufthansa, but I also want to at least have a flight booked as well, and I don't mind dealing with change fees too much. I am a Chase United cardholder and MileagePlus Gold.

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Patrick Hayden
All, I have a beginner question. I want to book award travel in Business from IAD-VIE in October. United's website shows available business saver award travel from IAD to AMS and then a Basic Economy flight from AMS to VIE on Austrian Airlines. Now, if I search IAD-PRG, it shows Business Saver from IAD-GVA, and then connects via Austrian in business through VIE to PRG. If I call, would UA allow me to book the Business Saver that goes IAD-GVA-VIE without the final hopp to Prague, or is that our of their hands as it's a partner flight? I'm trying to avoid a long layover and also trying to avoid Austrian's basic economy.

I know there's a chance Saver space will pop up on the direct IAD-VIE on Austrian, or the IAD-FRA-VIE route on Lufthansa, but I also want to at least have a flight booked as well, and I don't mind dealing with change fees too much. I am a Chase United cardholder and MileagePlus Gold.

Thanks!
Usually if you can’t find it on the website the agents can’t book it. You could try putting it together as a multicity itinerary and see if that works. You could also try to find the routing you want on Google Flights (in $, not miles), if you can find it there and get it to load on United.com then generally a phone agent can book it.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Patrick Hayden
If I call, would UA allow me to book the Business Saver that goes IAD-GVA-VIE without the final hopp to Prague, or is that our of their hands as it's a partner flight? I'm trying to avoid a long layover and also trying to avoid Austrian's basic economy.
Not sure what you mean by "Basic Economy." Basic Economy / Light fares don't apply to redemptions.

The only difference between business and economy on a flight like AMS-PRG is that they'll block the middle seat if you're in business, and you'd get a meal.

Originally Posted by getagb
You could also try to find the routing you want on Google Flights (in $, not miles), if you can find it there and get it to load on United.com then generally a phone agent can book it.
That won't work for award bookings (and isn't even generally true for cash bookings -- often Google Flights can book inventory on United.com that phone agents won't).
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:15 pm

I have two questions regarding the Excursionist Perk:
I have a DEN-SEA-TPE-BKK flight with a mixed cabin class. DEN-SEA is XN with the rest in J
The Excursionist segment was BKK-DPS and only priced out Y as free. J was 25k points
The flight back to the US is SIN-NRT-SEA all in J

I called to see if there was any recourse to get BKK-DPS in J. The agent was surprised J didn't price out as 0 points as well. After 1 hour on hold I was told it was because the first flight was in an economy fare bucket. Being the first time booking the Excursionist perk without pure J routes I wasn't aware of that. I went ahead and booked it anyway since I was able to find JAL and ANA space for the routing

Reading through this thread makes it seem like it might be possible to get it repriced if I call again? Alternatively what are the chances of calling, getting the DEN-SEA segment dropped and then changing BKK-DPS to J? (SEA-BKK didn't show as available options without starting in DEN) DEN is easier for me to fly out of but I could fairly easily position in SEA for the outbound flight

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exterous
Reading through this thread makes it seem like it might be possible to get it repriced if I call again?
The correct price is 0 in J -- but you'll likely need current availability on all of the flights to make this work.

Originally Posted by Exterous
Alternatively what are the chances of calling, getting the DEN-SEA segment dropped and then changing BKK-DPS to J?
Ditto. If you can still see the flight on SEA-BKK or DEN-BKK, and you can still see SIN-NRT-SEA, then you may get someone to make this change.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rcw70
If I am traveling on a one-way MileagePlus award on LH PRG-FRA-LAX in Business with an overnight connection, will I be able to change the FRA-LAX segment to First while in the middle of the itinerary (paying the increment in miles/money)? It appears that the day 2 F inventory for FRA-LAX will most likely only become available late in the evening CET after I fly the PRG-FRA segment on day 1.
Yes that's doable, at least in theory.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The only difference between business and economy on a flight like AMS-PRG is that they'll block the middle seat if you're in business, and you'd get a meal.
Having silently battled for elbow space with my neighbor in Y the entire way from ZRH-TXL yesterday (he insisted on trying to read a newspaper with both pages open, rather than folding it), I would posit that having an empty adjacent seat in Euro-business is not as worthless as is sometimes suggested around here.

The other benefit is lounge access for the intra-Europe departure if you're not *G. (Though I would put the value of that at zero at AMS . . . somewhat higher at ZRH, FRA, MUC, etc.)
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:36 pm

Last week I made an award booking through United that included segments on Turkish and Swiss. The LX segment was waitlisted. So I waited. No payment went through. On both United and Swiss's sites, it appeared that the TK segment was fine and I was just waiting on LX. Today when I checked on it, the TK segment is gone and LX still shows as waitlisted. Did I screw up here by not calling in sooner to get that ticket issued? Will the TK segment magically reappear if I can get that LX segment confirmed? Or will I need to cancel and start from scratch again?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Last week I made an award booking through United that included segments on Turkish and Swiss. The LX segment was waitlisted. So I waited. No payment went through. On both United and Swiss's sites, it appeared that the TK segment was fine and I was just waiting on LX. Today when I checked on it, the TK segment is gone and LX still shows as waitlisted. Did I screw up here by not calling in sooner to get that ticket issued? Will the TK segment magically reappear if I can get that LX segment confirmed? Or will I need to cancel and start from scratch again?
Hard to tell what is happening but a call is needed to UA , first -- but then a call to LX and TK to further understand.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Award ticket double charged

I purchased a RT business award ticket from CMH-DEN-NRT-SIN-BKK-NRT-ORD-CMH for 190,000 UA miles. At the time of booking, the NRT-SIN leg was only available in economy. Since then that leg opened up in I-class. UA wants an additional 15,000 miles to upgrade. I didn't get a discount for a mixed class ticket. How does UA justify this? Does it matter that this leg is on a partner?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I purchased a RT business award ticket from CMH-DEN-NRT-SIN-BKK-NRT-ORD-CMH for 190,000 UA miles. At the time of booking, the NRT-SIN leg was only available in economy. Since then that leg opened up in I-class. UA wants an additional 15,000 miles to upgrade. I didn't get a discount for a mixed class ticket. How does UA justify this? Does it matter that this leg is on a partner?
Is this for travel before or after Nov 15, 2019?

If before, then Yes, being a partner flight makes a difference, partner premium cabin awards (if intra-region) will convert the outbound from a UA operated business saver award (75K) to a partner business saver award (90K).

Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Are there any stopovers?

I can't get the pricing to come out to 190K, but 15K is the difference between economy and business on Japan to South Asia.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
Are there any stopovers?

I can't get the pricing to come out to 190K, but 15K is the difference between economy and business on Japan to South Asia.
Time is January, 2020. I have a stopover in SIN.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Adding flight and perk to award travel

If you’re on a one-way US-Europe flight, can you add on a Europe-Asia flight and in the process pick up the excursionist perk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.