Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post-Southwest Flight Experience And Things United Can Learn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post-Southwest Flight Experience And Things United Can Learn

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Quite contrary, I think this is the biggest downside of WN. I use my UA miles when I need to book a really last minute trip (read: fares are super high) or when I want to go to an "obscure" destination with limited service and high fares (e.g. BNA ). If the cost in miles was directly proportional to the cost in dollars, then the entire special utility of the miles is gone, and they turn into a simple rebate program.
Doubly so when your local airports don't have a ton of good competition. Last year, I almost had to send the perfesser mouse up to Detroit from the Florida panhandle on 48 hours notice when his father was hospitalized (bad reaction to antibiotics; fortunately he was declared better and discharged the next day) I went through my stash of points and gift cards and came up with the following options:

United- 25K miles + close in non-elite fee (not the greatest route though)
Delta- 30K miles and token security fee (better routing)
American- about $575 cash rate
Southwest- $875 in cash or points since the Wanna Get Away Fares were sold out
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
The little LA airports are very nice, especially since traffic is a nightmare going from LAX to most places you would care about. I'm still amazed, though, every time I remember UA doesn't even fly SJC-LAX

But WN is the clear winner for actually flying things like SJC-BUR, and on something other than a CR2.
I'm hoping (and think it's quite likely that) AS is going to give WN a run for its money on these routes, at which point I will be able to swear off flying WN for good.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benfro6
One thing that WN gets right that has not been mentioned is award pricing.
This is quite the double edged sword.... Don't get me wrong, I like being able to redeem a RT flight for ~10k miles (which I did during the anniversary sale last month) But it also means last minute awards are astronomical. That's why it's good to have multiple currencies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.