Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post-Southwest Flight Experience And Things United Can Learn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post-Southwest Flight Experience And Things United Can Learn

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Baze
And how does this help the battlefield upgraded passenger? The person who SDC's at last minute to the flight? The standby passenger for F on the flight? Part of the thing I like about UA and don't like about SW is that if I already have a good seat or been upgraded or paid for F I don't worry about checking in right at the window for checking in. If this got implemented would have to start doing the dance again at T-24 to get an earlier number. And if there are 5 people where this is their connecting flight they get the first 5 slots as they can check in at T-24 for the first flight in their itinerary. Just doesn't work with UA.
If numbers 1-20 are reserved for F on a 739, then whichever 20 pax with F seat assignments when boarding is called can hold those numbers. There will be some check-in dance, but it just replaces the gate-lice dance where we all stand for 15 minutes at the gate before boarding. WN also used to be first to the gate, first to board - and I'd much rather pull out my phone at T-24 to hit a button than dance around the gate constantly. And with numbers, you could put 1Ks ahead of Plats with Group 1, and Golds ahead of Silvers, etc.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
If numbers 1-20 are reserved for F on a 739, then whichever 20 pax with F seat assignments when boarding is called can hold those numbers. There will be some check-in dance, but it just replaces the gate-lice dance where we all stand for 15 minutes at the gate before boarding. WN also used to be first to the gate, first to board - and I'd much rather pull out my phone at T-24 to hit a button than dance around the gate constantly. And with numbers, you could put 1Ks ahead of Plats with Group 1, and Golds ahead of Silvers, etc.
do you really think UA's IT could handle implementing this?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
And how does this help the battlefield upgraded passenger? The person who SDC's at last minute to the flight? The standby passenger for F on the flight? Part of the thing I like about UA and don't like about SW is that if I already have a good seat or been upgraded or paid for F I don't worry about checking in right at the window for checking in. If this got implemented would have to start doing the dance again at T-24 to get an earlier number. And if there are 5 people where this is their connecting flight they get the first 5 slots as they can check in at T-24 for the first flight in their itinerary. Just doesn't work with UA.
Why would you checkin at the window?? WN has had online checkin for ages and everything gets assigned when you checkin online. The Group and numbers are automatically assigned when you checkin online or pay for a better slot at WN. In United's case, if there are 20 FC seats on the plane, then weather your battlefield upgrade or whatever there are 20 slots in Group 1 so Group 1 Slot 1-20 will always be for first class, you might be number 20 since your a last min upgrade on the last seat but still does not change the fact that you still get a spot in the reserved slot and not the 75th person standing in line in Group 1 under the current system. In regards to connecting passengers, I think your drilling down way to deep into this. Personally, If I was paying for FC, I could care less if I was in Group 1 spot 1 or Group 1 - spot 20, more interested in weeding the line jumpers and the Credit Card people who think they are automatically entitled to join Group 1. If you really must be in Group 1 Spot 1 well then I can't see any system that can really help you there other than maybe another fee to cut in line to the very front of the line.

Everyone else would get a spot in there groups based on elite level, checkin times etc.. GS already board before anyone else so really does not matter for them.

For all who have never seen or flown WN before, here is the setup. Some habits are hard to break as you can see, but gate lice or not, I can waltz right up in front of them and take my assigned slot when boarding is called.
DSC08289 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08290 by B H, on Flickr

DSC08333 by B H, on Flickr
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

do you really think UA's IT could handle implementing this?
I have hopes for them after seeing and trying United's app on 4 segments this year so far.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seat38a
Why would you checkin at the window?? WN has had online checkin for ages and everything gets assigned when you checkin online. The Group and numbers are automatically assigned when you checkin online or pay for a better slot at WN. In United's case, if there are 20 FC seats on the plane, then weather your battlefield upgrade or whatever there are 20 slots in Group 1 so Group 1 Slot 1-20 will always be for first class, you might be number 20 since your a last min upgrade on the last seat but still does not change the fact that you still get a spot in the reserved slot and not the 75th person standing in line in Group 1 under the current system. In regards to connecting passengers, I think your drilling down way to deep into this. Personally, If I was paying for FC, I could care less if I was in Group 1 spot 1 or Group 1 - spot 20, more interested in weeding the line jumpers and the Credit Card people who think they are automatically entitled to join Group 1. If you really must be in Group 1 Spot 1 well then I can't see any system that can really help you there other than maybe another fee to cut in line to the very front of the line.

Everyone else would get a spot in there groups based on elite level, checkin times etc.. GS already board before anyone else so really does not matter for them.

For all who have never seen or flown WN before, here is the setup. Some habits are hard to break as you can see, but gate lice or not, I can waltz right up in front of them and take my assigned slot when boarding is called.o
Did you really and honestly think I meant check in at a physical "window"? Don't think I have ever seen a "window" at an airport to check in at. Of course I meant the T-24 hour time window of opportunity to check in by what ever means you want to use.

And if you get that battlefield upgrade it is usually after you are on the plane and in your coach seat and the whole plane has loaded. So them handing you a BP with #20 on it does no good. Same situation we have now with overhead space when you move up. That is what a battlefield upgrade is. And I have flown SW before and didn't like it. But you are more than welcome to fly them if you like them.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Did you really and honestly think I meant check in at a physical "window"? Don't think I have ever seen a "window" at an airport to check in at. Of course I meant the T-24 hour time window of opportunity to check in by what ever means you want to use.

And if you get that battlefield upgrade it is usually after you are on the plane and in your coach seat and the whole plane has loaded. So them handing you a BP with #20 on it does no good. Same situation we have now with overhead space when you move up. That is what a battlefield upgrade is. And I have flown SW before and didn't like it. But you are more than welcome to fly them if you like them.
I fly United, and ONLY fly WN when United's schedule does not fit my plans. Its the first time I've flown WN in 10 years. And thank you for clarifying what the battlefield upgrade is. Of course if you don't get FC until after you are already on the plane your SOL. I'm trying to suggest a solution to a broken system from the paid FC/BC/ full fare Y/ Confirmed Upgrade passenger perspective not every special case like you bring up.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2016 at 3:45 pm Reason: Let's keep the discussion civil please
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly United, and ONLY fly WN when United's schedule does not fit my plans. Its the first time I've flown WN in 10 years. And thank you for clarifying what the battlefield upgrade is. Of course if you don't get FC until after you are already on the plane your SOL. I'm trying to suggest a solution to a broken system from the paid FC/BC/ full fare Y/ Confirmed Upgrade passenger perspective not every special case like you bring up.
I just pointed out some scenarios where it would make no difference. I don't like {Southwest}. The boarding is just one aspect of it and that works for SW. I personally don't think it would work for UA. But that is my opinion and I am entitled to it like you are yours. Please feel free to ignore my comments, I won't be offended.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2016 at 3:49 pm Reason: updated quote to reflect Mod edit; removed overly personal response to deleted mcontent
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

I just pointed out some scenarios where it would make no difference. I don't like {Southwest}. The boarding is just one aspect of it and that works for SW. I personally don't think it would work for UA. But that is my opinion and I am entitled to it like you are yours. Please feel free to ignore my comments, I won't be offended.
{J}ust {being} passionate about the mess of a boarding system at United Not praising WN, believe me I have a longer negative list than good. I'm just giving credit where credit is due and pointing out the current United system that I think needs some improvement. Will it fit all situations? Absolutely not. My points are nothing more than a broad suggestion from personal experience. Its really not for armchair CEO's to define the fine details but, HEY OSCAR IF YOUR READING THIS, FIX YOUR {deleted} BOARDING SYSTEM.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2016 at 6:02 pm Reason: Updated quote to reflect Mod edit; removed response to deleted comment; removed innapropriate language
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JBord
There are tradeoffs. I'd like to see UA adopt the first two, with families boarding after Group 2. They already have #4, although it's different than WN.

The "cattle call" on WN is when you actually board the plane and people after group A are scrambling for seats and begging each other to let trade seats to let their family sit together.

The other tradeoffs for WN include no assigned seats, typically higher fares (and sometimes to secondary airports), no real international routes.

Otherwise it's an airline tailored for infrequent fliers who are willing to give up certain things to save a few dollars. You CAN find good fares on WN if you're flexible.
I agree with most of this; UA's boarding process is a mess if you're not in group 1 or 2 and pretty inefficient, though IMO it's not materially different than DL/AA.

While I don't really like to, I'll fly WN when it's better than United in both price and schedule, which being in Houston, is not very often unless I my destination is Dallas.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
My parents and I flew to ABQ this past weekend on Southwest Airlines since United had some terrible schedules into ABQ. This was the first time I've flown WN since they implemented the group + line number boarding system. I paid for Early Bird checkin and was assigned Group A 26, 27 and 28. I was quite amazed at how orderly the boarding process was. The only "cattle call" was on my last 4 United flights. Gate lice are not an issue since everyone has a line number.

Couple observations that United should copy.
1. Families board AFTER group A has boarded but before group B.
2. Medical pre boarding requires getting a pre board pass from the counter NOT just randomly joining the disabled pre boarding group.
3. Boarding group A 1-15 is reserved for WN's version of "Business Class" Business Select fare payers. All other elites via A List level get assigned AFTER the paid Business Select boards.
4. Maybe implement some sort of line numbering system to prevent gate lice and ENFORCE IT.

For all the ills people talk about WN's boarding system, I thought it was a REALLY fair system, that they actually enforced and also rewards those who paid the highest fares, and elites. Also, WN is able to do this with only one line. Group A gets in line then boards, then B, then C without the {mess} of the 5 line system of UA.

I agree with the #1-3 here for sure. They "pre-board" the families/medical and then they end up clogging up the whole system. Its a lot harder to enforce something that has a lot of exceptions, etc.

UA also takes an extra 20-30s to wait for the GS, and then wait for the military; and then Group 1, they should announce (GS/Mil/F) that at once. Its not like it makes a difference when you're talking about the 8-25 of them on a mainline flight.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
I flew on WN for the first time just recently. It was the only flight that had the timing I needed from MCO to DEN. I bought early boarding and ended up with border order B5. It ended up being OK. Since it was just me solo and then otherwise a lot families, there was a single aisle seat in the second row that I was able to get.

What struck me the most different from UA was the "folksy" attitude of the staff. All of them had their own little quips and jokes that they made in announcements and during my interactions with them. UA is a bit more by-the-book. Sometimes that felt like WN was quite a bit warmer in attitude than UA, but it could also, at times, feel a little too relaxed.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MattR23

What struck me the most different from UA was the "folksy" attitude of the staff. All of them had their own little quips and jokes that they made in announcements and during my interactions with them. UA is a bit more by-the-book. Sometimes that felt like WN was quite a bit warmer in attitude than UA, but it could also, at times, feel a little too relaxed.
Yeah, some people like this and some don't. It's always been the culture at WN. I don't care for it either. I remember a particularly unpleasant flight sitting a couple rows in front of about 8 women traveling for a bachelorette party. They had obviously started the party early, and were very loud and disturbing other passengers. From what I could tell the FAs were actually encouraging it.

Again, it's fine for a lot of people, especially casual travelers. But for me, the whole experience just adds unnecessary stress...worrying about checking in right at 24 hours, getting my place in line, dashing for a seat, etc. And I don't check bags, so my bags always fly free.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have had great experience on Southwest - no FC is a deal breaker for me on flights 2+ hours
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Boarding the aircraft, the lack of an assigned seat is stressful. It requires thought to figure out at what point to stop going back and just grab whatever seat is available.
I don't see how it could be stressful. Aside from a very small number of seats (that you need to be A-List to get), all the seats have identical space. It's your preference whether you want front/back, aisle/window. You just walk on in your assigned order and sit down somewhere that looks good. Of course it helps to be near the beginning if you're picky. But I have to agree with the OP that boarding is messed up at United (and AA).
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I have not flown WN in a long time..but I have booked a lot of tickets there recently for an A list friend of mine who is also a UA 1K..she does a lot of flights intra-California out of SMF in addition to her UA travel and WN works better in those cases.

WN does NOT have the lowest fares.. in fact their fares are often more than UA's for comparable flights. They compete.

While their website might have seemed nice, friendly, and easy for the simple round trip the OP mentioned...Their booking engine is horrible and cumbersome if you need to veer from the simple round trip even slightly, or when you start to frequently book trips with family members and have to re-enter their information every single time.

I have read that they are implementing a major upgrade soon that will bring them up to speed with other airlines. Not being able to book an open jaw or multi segment trip online without calling makes them a dinosaur in 2016. If you used it awhile you'd see there are tons of functions missing... booking travel for companions (saving traveler information for frequently booked companions under your profile, etc).

Having no assigned seats means they can board in the way they do. I'm fine with UA's boarding... but from a group 1 perspective.. I can see there's room for improvement..

For more complex itineraries, just book one ways. Makes it easier when you have to change flights later anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.