Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:19 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is now specifically limited by the following:
I know.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is now specifically limited by the following:
Forget the "extra" bag on light fares. How about even one free bag? No such luck for this *G this past summer!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
E+ Help

Hi, been a long time since I posted. I am pretty out of touch with UA these days as have not flown them for years.

I am purchasing a Y Award ticket for my no status/general member daughter one way IAD SFO SYD. Considering getting her E+ to make the long journey a bit more comfortable. Currently when I do a dummy award booking, adding in the E+ makes it outrageously expensive, over $450 USD .

Can I purchase E+ seating on a Y award at a later date? Hoping the cost might drop down a bit or we get a better offer.

Thanks in advance for your help .
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Hi, been a long time since I posted. I am pretty out of touch with UA these days as have not flown them for years.

I am purchasing a Y Award ticket for my no status/general member daughter one way IAD SFO SYD. Considering getting her E+ to make the long journey a bit more comfortable. Currently when I do a dummy award booking, adding in the E+ makes it outrageously expensive, over $450 USD .

Can I purchase E+ seating on a Y award at a later date? Hoping the cost might drop down a bit or we get a better offer.

Thanks in advance for your help .
Are you looking at the "economy plus essentials"? If so, there's no need to get it - you can add E+ seats later in the seat selection screen.

I'm not sure what the actual E+ pricing would be though when buying an individual seat. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at around $200, maybe more, for a flight of that distance.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can I purchase E+ seating on a Y award at a later date?
Yes, definitely. It will be offered via the seatmap on the "view/change seats" function. Note that the pricing will be per segment and it will likely vary over time based on UA's perception of demand. You may want to watch the prices for a week or two to get a sense of the range.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That being said, $400 is not exactly crazy for that route. IAD-SFO alone usually runs between $100 and $150, and SFO-SYD is a much longer flight.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:15 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies .

Can I just add E+ seating later for ONLY the SFO SYD segment maybe?

That might help keep the costs down . My daughter is tall but hopefully she wont really need it for IAD SFO. SFO SYD is the important part.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by findark
That being said, $400 is not exactly crazy for that route. IAD-SFO alone usually runs between $100 and $150, and SFO-SYD is a much longer flight.
Agreed, however it was $450 USD and when you convert that to AUD (I'm in Australia) it is $630 AUD - we could almost buy a return ticket to Hawaii for that sort of money .

Thanks for your help .
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can I just add E+ seating later for ONLY the SFO SYD segment maybe?
Yes.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Agreed, however it was $450 USD and when you convert that to AUD (I'm in Australia) it is $630 AUD - we could almost buy a return ticket to Hawaii for that sort of money .

Thanks for your help .
Indeed - it's a ton of money but it's inline with what UA charges for E+ on varied routes so I wouldn't expect a much better deal.

As Kacee notes, yes you can buy for SFO-SYD only.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Indeed - it's a ton of money but it's inline with what UA charges for E+ on varied routes so I wouldn't expect a much better deal.
It will swing as much as maybe $100 on the long-haul segment. You have to watch it to figure out what the range is.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:35 am

Thank you all for your great info and fast replies .

Well looks like I have solved the issue of sorts i.e wont be buying E+ anymore! I was very surprised to see this as I have been checking for months, but I checked UA website for availability again this afternoon and there was a mixed cabin C award space (C on the leg that counts - LAX SYD) .

Very happy about that. So I have booked my daughter Y award ex IAD and then she has the new Polaris C from LAX to SYD. It is a 21st present so she will be thrilled.

Sorry this is off topic but would she be eligible for wait-listing for F award seat on the IAD LAX leg (it wasnt available all the way through, so it has booked into Y award (HN class, never heard of that before ) but it was a mixed cabin award.

Also got stung on the miles needed, but the rare C space on LAX SYD was too good to pass up. I could not get an afternoon departure out of IAD with award availability so I had to use Multi city option for same day travel,but doing that has made the mixed cabin award jump up by 25K miles . Any recourse? PNR is still awaiting ticketing at present.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Well looks like I have solved the issue of sorts i.e wont be buying E+ anymore! I was very surprised to see this as I have been checking for months, but I checked UA website for availability again this afternoon and there was a mixed cabin C award space (C on the leg that counts - LAX SYD) .

Very happy about that. So I have booked my daughter Y award ex IAD and then she has the new Polaris C from LAX to SYD. It is a 21st present so she will be thrilled.

Sorry this is off topic but would she be eligible for wait-listing for F award seat on the IAD LAX leg (it wasnt available all the way through, so it has booked into Y award (HN class, never heard of that before ) but it was a mixed cabin award.....
Yes you can waitlist or F on the domestic section
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html

Concerning the HN -- that is a non-elite Standard Economy award. What fare class was the SFO-SYD award?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also got stung on the miles needed, but the rare C space on LAX SYD was too good to pass up. I could not get an afternoon departure out of IAD with award availability so I had to use Multi city option for same day travel,but doing that has made the mixed cabin award jump up by 25K miles . Any recourse? PNR is still awaiting ticketing at present.
A lot of things potentially going on here, but it sounds like there was no saver space in any cabin IAD-LAX for the times you wanted. Multi-city allowed a mixed coupon Standard/Saver award, assuming you booked HN class IAD-LAX and I class LAX-SYD.

If above booking classes are true, then (a) you can't book this for fewer miles, (b) you may waitlist the IAD-LAX for First, but it will be a Standard (ZN) award for 50k miles total for the segment. You essentially have two separate awards, broken in LAX.

Your other options would be (a) cancel within 24h and rebook with the morning flight in X, and potentially change later, or (b) keep the current itinerary which will cost an extra 25k miles. Or (c) take only the award ticket LAX-SYD and buy a cash ticket IAD-LAX.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
Lifemiles award and Economy plus

I am a 1k and would like to burn Lifemiles for four transatlantic tickets on United. After adding my Mileageplus number to the reservation, would I qualify for Economy plus? Would my non-status companions qualify as well, in the same way they would if I had used United miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.