Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
TL;DR: Great FA crew but I'm still singularly unimpressed with EWR.

I managed to get my LIS-EWR flight (UA 065) upgraded with GPU on Monday (July 1). Unfortunately, the EWR-DEN connection didn't upgrade (I think I specifically applied my GPU to the LIS-EWR flight because I didn't want to waste it on a domestic flight and was unable to request it be applied to the entire itinerary as I didn't have cell phone service when my GPU finally took effect) but I got to enjoy the front cabin on the important part of the trip. The cabin itself was a little on the warm side for my tastes -- would have liked an air vent but didn't see anything resembling one on the 767-400ER (my first flight in the front cabin on this aircraft).

FA crew in the front cabin seemed much younger than I'm used to seeing on these international flights but that was good. They were very attentive and energetic, so much so that I wrote a compliment in to UA. One FA seemed really new and looked like she was being coached by her partner but she was really on the ball and had a smile for every passenger. I'd love to have this duo on every flight I take. The male FA wasn't familiar with the wine list and had to keep checking as I requested the Spanish red but he went and made sure I got what I wanted, all the while apologizing for not having it immediately.

The ice cream sundae was just the right consistency -- I was a little thrown off by them putting the whipped cream on first and THEN putting on the hot fudge but it all tasted good. I also got a nice glass of 10-year tawny port to go with the sundae -- just the right thing after 3 weeks in Portugal! I had the cheeseburger thing for the arrival snack. Not bad, not great.

Reality hit when I got to EWR. While I got through Customs and Immigration a lot faster than I expected (despite hangups with 2 idiots in a row in the Mobile Passport line), the TSA agents at security were rude without any reason -- stereotypical New Yorkers or Garden Staters. The Polaris lounge was fairly empty when I walked in only to get flooded in the 5 or 10 minutes it took me to scope out the buffet line (wasn't interested in any of the sit-down menu offerings). The hot buffet line had tortellini, green chicken curry soup, a vegetable paella, and some other soupish things. Not really impressed by any of it but the green chicken curry soup and the paella and some cold drinks were really all I needed, having filled up on the flight in. I think it was actually more crowded in the EWR Polaris Lounge on my return than the DEN United Club on my way out. The one upside was that I was able to get a shower in the PL before continuing my journey home.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Ewr-prg, b-; lhr-ord b+

Just back from what will probably be my last Polaris flights of 2019.

EWR-PRG was on an old style 767, with a crew that lacked energy and much interest in their work. Sitting in row 1, I could not help but hear the pre-flight banter among our cabin crew, when one FA told another "I'm dead tired" and the response was "Fake it till you make it" (to Prague?). The service was minimal and the meal was sad. Fortunately, I had eaten in the EWR Polaris lounge, and basically had cheese, dessert, and a nightcap on board. The only time the crew displayed any energy was in talking loudly enough at night to disturb Mrs. Transportprof . No morning hot towel service. Breakfast was worse than before, too. No cinnamon rolls offered. Just a preplated croissant that was simultaneously tasteless and greasy. Even the rasin bran tasted stale. A new personal low for the Polaris on-board experience.

LHR-ORD was better. This 767 had the new Polaris seat, but it was filthy with crumbs and nut fragments lining the space between the seat and the window. Cabin crew were not just going through some of the motions, however. All service elements were correctly provided, but the food is still mediocre. Salmon was swimming in its sauce, plus other vegetal liquids from the one plate reheating. English cheese is an acquired taste, which I have not fully acquired. But for those who like their cheese green and streaky, it was properly served on that flight.

The hamburger Wellington gave Mrs. Transport a vicious heartburn during our T5 - T1 transfer at ORD, while the mac and cheese pie was innocuous but completely tasteless. Polaris lounge at ORD obliged with a quick shower, which made the next leg to YVR more comfortable.

With my GPUs exhausted for 2019, I'll be happy to sample other J services as/when needed until 2020. There is nothing to make Polaris worth paying more than a W fare for, if one has a choice.
halls120, Artpen100 and east_west like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by transportprof
Just back from what will probably be my last Polaris flights of 2019.

EWR-PRG was on an old style 767, with a crew that lacked energy and much interest in their work. Sitting in row 1, I could not help but hear the pre-flight banter among our cabin crew, when one FA told another "I'm dead tired" and the response was "Fake it till you make it" (to Prague?). The service was minimal and the meal was sad. Fortunately, I had eaten in the EWR Polaris lounge, and basically had cheese, dessert, and a nightcap on board. The only time the crew displayed any energy was in talking loudly enough at night to disturb Mrs. Transportprof . No morning hot towel service. Breakfast was worse than before, too. No cinnamon rolls offered. Just a preplated croissant that was simultaneously tasteless and greasy. Even the rasin bran tasted stale. A new personal low for the Polaris on-board experience.

LHR-ORD was better. This 767 had the new Polaris seat, but it was filthy with crumbs and nut fragments lining the space between the seat and the window. Cabin crew were not just going through some of the motions, however. All service elements were correctly provided, but the food is still mediocre. Salmon was swimming in its sauce, plus other vegetal liquids from the one plate reheating. English cheese is an acquired taste, which I have not fully acquired. But for those who like their cheese green and streaky, it was properly served on that flight.

The hamburger Wellington gave Mrs. Transport a vicious heartburn during our T5 - T1 transfer at ORD, while the mac and cheese pie was innocuous but completely tasteless. Polaris lounge at ORD obliged with a quick shower, which made the next leg to YVR more comfortable.

With my GPUs exhausted for 2019, I'll be happy to sample other J services as/when needed until 2020. There is nothing to make Polaris worth paying more than a W fare for, if one has a choice.
Polaris food is atrocious. Beyond inedible
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:10 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I've skipped the last few breakfasts because they have gotten pretty bad. The garlic bread is good. I'm a simple guy so if I notice, it's pretty bad.
Yeah, what’s up with the breakfast options, the rice on the chicken katsu option is always dry and crunchy! Has to be a Polaris issue, because the rice in economy seems fine.

The garlic bread is great, but, again it’s all dried out and hard about 50% if the time!

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Aside from the seat, Delta Economy>Polaris
good thing the seats are bolted down!
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I received the chocolates 2 weeks ago on SIN-SFO. Are they discontinued now?
On my LHR-ORD flight yesterday, the chocolates were incorporated as the dessert in the per-arrival snack. They're thus doing double duty - e.g., sweating the assets to make the bean counters happier.
Ohh that right! forget that it's on the tray now! I still miss the pre-departure chocolate and pre-landing chocolate that they used to offer in Polaris v1. That used to be a nice touch.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr8

Ohh that right! forget that it's on the tray now! I still miss the pre-departure chocolate and pre-landing chocolate that they used to offer in Polaris v1. That used to be a nice touch.
Moving the chocolates onto the tray both saves money for the C suite bonuses and makes less work for the cabin crew. It's truly a win-win innovation!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
....The service was minimal and the meal was sad. . A new personal low for the Polaris on-board experience.
LHR-ORD was better....
It has been my experience that the seasonal routes --- EWR-PRG, EWR-VCE, etc. --- have much worse service than the regular routes -- EWR-FRA, SFO-MUC, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:32 am

Apparently the wine list is also now gone, enhanced away due to overwhelming customer feedback. The brand of champagne disappeared a while ago, now the wines are listed as "ask your flight attendant for today's choices". I enjoy reading tasting notes and wine descriptions. Polaris just sinks lower.
manstein58, mr8 and benewr like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I for one think the ability to sleep on a lie flat seat is more important (and just gave feedback about my disappointment of the crew talking loudly in the front of the cabin on a recent SYD-SFO and waking me and fellow pax). This is why I like Polaris - obviously we pax are an assorted bunch with different priorities. So the seat and the FA service is my highest priority and for the most part Polaris delivers.

The report of the Polris seat with crumbs and not having been cleaned is of more concern to me than the food/wine issues. I always ask for the mattress pad (not sure why they do not automatically give these out) and use a wet wipe to wipe down the flat services - now providing a couple of those as we pre-board would be a nice enhancement.

With more Polaris lounges opening I choose to have a nice meal in the lounge and often eat only the salad and sometimes a main meal. I do not like the breakfast options and will often ask for the hot midflight snack as the arrival meal or else head to the lounge on arrival for breakfast after red eyes. I generally only have one glass of wine with a meal and ask to see the labels - most of the FAs have no idea about the different red varieties but I know what I like.

I think United thinks it is more important to get the food right in the Polaris lounges which is fine by me - it is only an issue if you have an upgrade to Polaris that happens at the gate. However, both SFO and IAH have great food and wine options at the Centurion lounges (and looking forward to the LAX Centurion lounge).
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by worldtrav
Apparently the wine list is also now gone, enhanced away due to overwhelming customer feedback. The brand of champagne disappeared a while ago, now the wines are listed as "ask your flight attendant for today's choices". I enjoy reading tasting notes and wine descriptions. Polaris just sinks lower.
I was wondering when this would happen. Distributing a list of wines you may or may not have on board was always a silly proposition. Why Doug Frost even bothers anymore is a more pertinent question.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think United thinks it is more important to get the food right in the Polaris lounges which is fine by me - it is only an issue if you have an upgrade to Polaris that happens at the gate. However, both SFO and IAH have great food and wine options at the Centurion lounges (and looking forward to the LAX Centurion lounge).
If they had a Polaris lounge at every airport their Polaris-equipped aircraft visited, that might make sense. Since they are never going to reach that point, the pitiful excuse for food they serve on board is going to be a perpetual embarrassment, unless things change.
wrp96, Artpen100 and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by halls120; Jul 7, 2019 at 4:09 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:31 am

My only Polaris flight was about a year ago. I enjoyed it, but I hate to see these changes. I enjoy reading the wine list.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
My only Polaris flight was about a year ago. I enjoyed it, but I hate to see these changes. I enjoy reading the wine list.
They had not bothered catering the actual wines listed on the menu for who knows how long at this point - so they might as well stop the charade. All having a specific wine list will do is annoy the passengers who care about that kind of thing, since UA never had the right wines on board. For the people who will drink ‘red’ or ‘white’ wine, having a list or not won’t make a difference.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
What do you mean by "apparently"? Were you on a recent flight with no wine list? There are a number of very recent posts on the "Let's Eat" thread showing wine lists.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by st530
What do you mean by "apparently"? Were you on a recent flight with no wine list? There are a number of very recent posts on the "Let's Eat" thread showing wine lists.
No wine list today on MUC IAD.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by nevansm

No wine list today on MUC IAD.
No wine list last week on TLV-EWR.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by st530
There was no wine list in May on PVG-ORD. There was no wine list 10 days ago on ORD-PVG. But I also experienced many flights last year and this year with a wine list that did not reflect what was available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.