Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
I 1. No one asked to take my jacket after boarding. I finally just put it in the overhead bin myself after about 30 minutes.
2. No one offered us slippers or bedding, on our side of the aisle. I had my FA call button pressed for this for about 20 minutes and no one ever showed up before departure. (FYI we were delayed for 1 hour due to visa issues with a few passengers, which required them to be offloaded)
3. I finally got up myself and asked for a pair of slippers myself.
4. During the flight I pushed the call button again for the mid meal snack. Again no one showed up for 20 mins, so I went to the front galley and one of the male FA's was just playing on his cellphone.
5. After that, I learned to just get up and ask for everything. A drink, snack - whatever.

It is a real shame, because aside from the older generation seats, it's not a bad product.
Ironically, replace UA with CX, I had the basically a similar experience on a flight from JFK to HKG in December.

Not trying to defend UA, but neither flight is a representative of the overall soft service of the brand. Sorry you had a bad flight experience; UA is generally better than that. CX is usually way better than what I had experienced.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
I just wanted to share my experience on a recent Polaris flight SFO-DEL.

I already knew that the this flight still had the old style Polaris seats, so I wasn't expecting the newest seating.

I usually travel on CX to/from India, and I also used to be GS a long time ago, so I knew not to expect asian carrier levels of service on UA, but I was still extremely disappointed with the service:

1. No one asked to take my jacket after boarding. I finally just put it in the overhead bin myself after about 30 minutes.
2. No one offered us slippers or bedding, on our side of the aisle. I had my FA call button pressed for this for about 20 minutes and no one ever showed up before departure. (FYI we were delayed for 1 hour due to visa issues with a few passengers, which required them to be offloaded)
3. I finally got up myself and asked for a pair of slippers myself.
4. During the flight I pushed the call button again for the mid meal snack. Again no one showed up for 20 mins, so I went to the front galley and one of the male FA's was just playing on his cellphone.
5. After that, I learned to just get up and ask for everything. A drink, snack - whatever.

It is a real shame, because aside from the older generation seats, it's not a bad product. The Indian meals aren't bad at all.

I did receive a survey email after the flight, and I did mention all of the above, though I doubt anything will change.

There was no warmth or smile during any crew interaction, but getting up to ask for something in business class is a deal breaker for me.

But the service (or lack thereof) left me wondering, did I get a bad crew or is this how the majority of the FA's are ?
The end of the world, as we know it...
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by trk1
Just came back from a trip ERW to CPE. The Polaris crews were excellent in both directions.
Which airports are these?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
commitedlurker,
2 very different flights i have experienced in the last 3 weeks....1st you need to get on a UA flight to or from LHR.....the LHR base is probably the best crews i have ever had, top 3 in the world imo, i always go out of my way to fly out of DEN to LHR on UA and then onto EK to DXB, you can never go wrong with ua26/27...they are very professional and down to earth, its probably the only reason i have stayed with UA, its consistent and i love it. i know immediately when i step on board what i getting on the flight. i booked last minute 3 weeks ago EK DXB-AMS then UA back to COS.....the flight from AMS was what some of our fellow flyer talkers refer to as a ghetto bird, not so much the plane itself as it was true polaris but the crew was IAH based and they were terrible, they were either hung over or had some serious attitudes, i did not have alot of issues but witnessed first hand and yes if i wanted anything outside of the meal service i did go the galley and requested it, way way back in the day i would have been told " i'll bring to you", not anymore....was pointed to the galley cart with snacks and an ice bucket on top and told to help myself, which i did and took the 3 remaining stellas and a cheese plate.

Last edited by cosflyer; Feb 23, 2020 at 8:53 pm
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by trk1
Just came back from a trip ERW to CPE. The Polaris crews were excellent in both directions.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Which airports are these?
I suspect EWR-CPT.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:02 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by BlueZebra

Nothing on FlyerTalk is the end of the world, except perhaps the Coronavirus

thanks for your contribution

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Ironically, replace UA with CX, I had the basically a similar experience on a flight from JFK to HKG in December.

Not trying to defend UA, but neither flight is a representative of the overall soft service of the brand. Sorry you had a bad flight experience; UA is generally better than that. CX is usually way better than what I had experienced.
i have had some poor crew experiences on CX (I think they are highly overrated by the way), but they always show up when you push the call button.

Originally Posted by cosflyer
commitedlurker,
2 very different flights i have experienced in the last 3 weeks....1st you need to get on a UA flight to or from LHR.....the LHR base is probably the best crews i have ever had, top 3 in the world imo, i always go out of my way to fly out of DEN to LHR on UA and then onto EK to DXB, you can never go wrong with ua26/27...they are very professional and down to earth, its probably the only reason i have stayed with UA, its consistent and i love it. i know immediately when i step on board what i getting on the flight. i booked last minute 3 weeks ago EK DXB-AMS then UA back to COS.....the flight from AMS was what some of our fellow flyer talkers refer to as a ghetto bird, not so much the plane itself as it was true polaris but the crew was IAH based and they were terrible, they were either hung over or had some serious attitudes, i did not have alot of issues but witnessed first hand and yes if i wanted anything outside of the meal service i did go the galley and requested it, way way back in the day i would have been told " i'll bring to you", not anymore....was pointed to the galley cart with snacks and an ice bucket on top and told to help myself, which i did and took the 3 remaining stellas and a cheese plate.
As I thought.

In fact the FA on the other side of the aisle (I was in the center seats) went around asking everyone on her side for slippers, bedding etc., it was only on our side that there was nothing

Originally Posted by dilanesp
You should definitely complain about failure to answer the call button (against airline policy even in Y) and playing on the cell phone. United will want to hear about that.
I did that but I doubt it will do anything. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Still better than AI! Though AI Indian food can be quite good.
i won’t travel on AI mainly from a safety perspective. I just don’t feel safe on that airline - others may feel free to disagree with me, but to each his own

Originally Posted by af fp
UA is just, always, terrible. I hope they were cheap
Yes. That was my primary reason for choosing them.

AI was cheaper than UA by about 15-20%.

I excluded all transpacific routings due to the Coronavirus. The European carriers were much more expensive by the time I ticketed

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I did that but I doubt it will do anything.
It won't. UA is not able to enforce professionalism among its customer facing staff. Some are self-motivated and provide excellent service; others just go through the motions doing the minimum possible. That's the biggest difference between service on UA compared to carriers where FAs are well trained and expected to adhere to high standards of professionalism (CX, SQ, NH, LH, etc.).
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Hardly, but this is a forum to discuss United experiences, as the OP did.

MODS, I suggest this get moved to the general "Polaris experience" thread.
physioprof likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:44 pm

I just flew IAD-LHR and LHR-ORD this past weekend in Polaris and the service was honestly just terrible outside of a few London based flight attendants. Our LHR-ORD crew was split Chicago / London based. As expected, the London crew members were extremely pleasant. One literally said to me -- "we are much friendlier on this side of the aisle" -- referring to the fact that their counterparts serving seats A / D were nothing like them. Same gripes for me that others have written about on here. Flight attendants glued to their phones, inconvenienced when you physically get out of your seat to ask for a glass of ice or a drink, ignoring call buttons. I asked for water in the front galley with attendants sitting on their phones and was told to grab a bottle that was out with the snacks. So sorry for the bother, but I wanted sparkling water with my $3,000 ticket. I've come to expect bare minimum just as others say. A lie flat seat is nice. Any service above minimum effort is just a bonus.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zeus2120
I just flew IAD-LHR and LHR-ORD this past weekend in Polaris and the service was honestly just terrible outside of a few London based flight attendants. Our LHR-ORD crew was split Chicago / London based. As expected, the London crew members were extremely pleasant. One literally said to me -- "we are much friendlier on this side of the aisle" -- referring to the fact that their counterparts serving seats A / D were nothing like them. Same gripes for me that others have written about on here. Flight attendants glued to their phones, inconvenienced when you physically get out of your seat to ask for a glass of ice or a drink, ignoring call buttons. I asked for water in the front galley with attendants sitting on their phones and was told to grab a bottle that was out with the snacks. So sorry for the bother, but I wanted sparkling water with my $3,000 ticket. I've come to expect bare minimum just as others say. A lie flat seat is nice. Any service above minimum effort is just a bonus.
I've had that exact same experience regarding asking for water in Polaris on a TPAC. I got out of my seat and went to the galley where 3 flight attendants were chatting. I asked if I could please have some water. One of them said 'I already brought you a bottle of water.' None of them provided water.

Not the end of the world or anything, and it's even completely fine that they were standing around chatting while passengers were sleeping on a TPAC, but I was pretty surprised to be reprimanded for asking for water when flying on a $4,000 ticket. I might never forget that experience.

Of course, I'll also never forget the awesome flight team that welcomed me to the flight deck of my final United 747 flight and took a picture of me in the captain's chair. Or the incredible flight attendants that normally do take very good care of all of us on my normal TPAC routes. So, I try not to judge the whole company by a handful of poorly trained and/or poorly performing employees. But there are some bad apples, that's for sure.
wrp96 and Kacee like this.

Last edited by IMissThe747; Feb 23, 2020 at 10:11 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It won't. UA is not able to enforce professionalism among its customer facing staff. Some are self-motivated and provide excellent service; others just go through the motions doing the minimum possible. That's the biggest difference between service on UA compared to carriers where FAs are well trained and expected to adhere to high standards of professionalism (CX, SQ, NH, LH, etc.).
This is pretty much it. A written training flash or similar, no follow up, no enforcement, no mystery-shoppers, no disciplinary process for non-compliance, it's just a complete free-for-all.

It could be worse - AA had a bunch of 0-experience new hires who were trained on-the-job, including working front cabins. Could you imagine someone who was flipping burgers a month ago, being given the responsibility of serving premium customers with no training, no guidance, and no support except from a seasoned, and completely disinterested coworker? That's a recipe for disaster and I heard it was pretty much a disaster.

United's problem is, and always has been, a total lack of consistency - where every flight, every trip, is a total crapshoot on whether or not it will be bad or good, and to what degree of good or bad it might be. Only a fool runs a service business with that level of chaos.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I've had that exact same experience regarding asking for water in Polaris on a TPAC. I got out of my seat and went to the galley where 3 flight attendants were chatting. I asked if I could please have some water. One of them said 'I already brought you a bottle of water.' None of them provided water.

Not the end of the world or anything, and it's even completely fine that they were standing around chatting while passengers were sleeping on a TPAC, but I was pretty surprised to be reprimanded for asking for water when flying on a $4,000 ticket. I might never forget that experience.

Of course, I'll also never forget the awesome flight team that welcomed me to the flight deck of my final United 747 flight and took a picture of me in the captain's chair. Or the incredible flight attendants that normally do take very good care of all of us on my normal TPAC routes. So, I try not to judge the whole company by a handful of poorly trained and/or poorly performing employees. But there are some bad apples, that's for sure.
And that is the rub. My last 747 flight on UA - upstairs :-). The pilot let me into the cockpit and took photos. It was a sad moment as it was the UA plane from SYD to LAX/SFO for so long.

I agree the LHR crews are great but TPAC it is very hit and miss - I am never sure if I should get up to ask for a midflight cup of tea or ring the call button - and invariably my first choice seems to be the wrong one (call button vs getting up and personally making the request). Great crews make such a difference. FYI - I usually bring chocolates for the FAs but some trips I wish I had not spent the $, and others am very pleased I made the gesture.

Agree SQ is amazing. NZ is excellent and I am normally in PE with them. LH is very efficient (warmth is not really their culture).

My Polaris flights are usually upgraded flights but there are a few P flights each year - and who wants to pay a premium to be treated as a nuisance on a flight? I know there is a strong union but it would be nice to think the better FAs are recognized and rewarded and those that are not are taken out of customer facing jobs.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by IMissThe747

I think that term is for when there are many apples (like 30) and there are 2 bad ones. In this case, the fraction of uncaring/indifferent UA flight attendants is more than a "few".
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
You should definitely complain about failure to answer the call button (against airline policy even in Y) and playing on the cell phone. United will want to hear about that.
Sure, they will want to hear about it, but will they do anything? Doubtful at best.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My Polaris flights are usually upgraded flights but there are a few P flights each year - and who wants to pay a premium to be treated as a nuisance on a flight? I know there is a strong union but it would be nice to think the better FAs are recognized and rewarded and those that are not are taken out of customer facing jobs.
Yes, it would be nice to think UA did what you are suggesting. If you believe they will actually do that, I have a bridge to sell you - cheap.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
But the service (or lack thereof) left me wondering, did I get a bad crew or is this how the majority of the FA's are ?
I believe this may have more to do with the destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.