Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
They will be somewhat different, good is a subjective term. Many consider the older seats better for couples but they do not have all aisle access. The new all aisle access seats are more "private" but that means it is difficult for couples to talk. Many find the older seats to be more cushioned and a tad wide, while others prefer the greater seat storage space of the newer seats. There are some differences in footwell space. All depends on what matters to you.
This is a very good overview.

I will say I found myself in an older config 777, with the "8 across" seats a short time ago. Dramatically less storage space, but the actual seat was more comfortable than new Polaris. Best sleep I have had on United in some time.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is a very good overview.

I will say I found myself in an older config 777, with the "8 across" seats a short time ago. Dramatically less storage space, but the actual seat was more comfortable than new Polaris. Best sleep I have had on United in some time.
The IPTE J seat for all of its faults was the most comfortably padded J seat I've ever experienced.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by RNE
We're booked in seats 3L and 3K on a 767-300 ORD-FCO. The seats are United Polaris business class, but they're in a 2-1-2 configuration. Will our seats be as good as those in the 1-1-1 configuration?
I fly together w my wife all the time on these planes. 3L & 3K are a useless combo for a couple traveling together. Best IMO is 3L & 5L, or 3A & 5A. There are no pairs that make conversation possible anyway, so best to each have an optimal straight-ahead window seat as close together as possible.

Edited to add: Sorry! I lost the plot here and thought we were talking about the Polarized 767-300, which is only what the above applies to. Obvs it's great to sit side-by-side in the KL combo on the 2-1-2, old configuration.

Last edited by physioprof; Feb 23, 2020 at 2:18 pm
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
I fly together w my wife all the time on these planes. 3L & 3K are a useless combo for a couple traveling together. ....
on the pmCO 2-1-2 ??? which is the OPs query
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
We're booked in seats 3L and 3K on a 767-300 ORD-FCO. The seats are United Polaris business class, but they're in a 2-1-2 configuration. Will our seats be as good as those in the 1-1-1 configuration?
These will be the old BE Diamond seats (not the new Polaris seats) inherited from pre merger CO. They are ok for couples traveling together.
physioprof likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
on the pmCO 2-1-2 ??? which is the OPs query
UGH! Sorry, my bad!! I got totally confused.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
The IPTE J seat for all of its faults was the most comfortably padded J seat I've ever experienced.
Totally agree. Not just well cushioned, but no seams, no hard spots. It also had an intuitive recline function that made it easy to micro-adjust to the perfect lounging position. Within the space limitations, a brilliantly engineered seat.
iluv2fly and goodeats21 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Poor Service - UA Polaris SFO-DEL

I just wanted to share my experience on a recent Polaris flight SFO-DEL.

I already knew that the this flight still had the old style Polaris seats, so I wasn't expecting the newest seating.

I usually travel on CX to/from India, and I also used to be GS a long time ago, so I knew not to expect asian carrier levels of service on UA, but I was still extremely disappointed with the service:

1. No one asked to take my jacket after boarding. I finally just put it in the overhead bin myself after about 30 minutes.
2. No one offered us slippers or bedding, on our side of the aisle. I had my FA call button pressed for this for about 20 minutes and no one ever showed up before departure. (FYI we were delayed for 1 hour due to visa issues with a few passengers, which required them to be offloaded)
3. I finally got up myself and asked for a pair of slippers myself.
4. During the flight I pushed the call button again for the mid meal snack. Again no one showed up for 20 mins, so I went to the front galley and one of the male FA's was just playing on his cellphone.
5. After that, I learned to just get up and ask for everything. A drink, snack - whatever.

It is a real shame, because aside from the older generation seats, it's not a bad product. The Indian meals aren't bad at all.

I did receive a survey email after the flight, and I did mention all of the above, though I doubt anything will change.

There was no warmth or smile during any crew interaction, but getting up to ask for something in business class is a deal breaker for me.

But the service (or lack thereof) left me wondering, did I get a bad crew or is this how the majority of the FA's are ?
af fp, Xyzzy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
This is pretty much normal on UA long-hauls nowadays - anything better is just frosting on the cake!
af fp, porciuscato and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
yeah very similar to my last SIN-SFO trip, had to get up and ask for stuff, got cut off after three drinks in 4 hours, it was really horrible service

It really sucks nowadays you basically have to go in with the mindset of: I will have a flatbed seat and anything more than that is a bonus
SuperFlyBoy likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:51 pm

That's not poor service on UA, it's standard. Nobody does mediocrity better than UA.
af fp, IndyHoosier and LIH like this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:14 pm

Just came back from a trip ERW to CPE. The Polaris crews were excellent in both directions.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Still better than AI! Though AI Indian food can be quite good.

I personally prefer to go get my stuff than summon FAs with a button. Probably based on my many many years sweating TPACs on 744s in E+, hanging out at the galley drinking Freshpoo with the FAs was the only IFE to speak of.

Slippers and bedding should be provisioned at all seats prior to boarding. And not by FAs but ground staff. So that is a very legit complaint.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:25 pm

UA is just, always, terrible. I hope they were cheap. On a recent flight from Denver to New York La Guardia, I experienced horrible service from their entitled crew. I paid for a first class ticket. The pilots and the male flight attendant who worked on this flight did not meet the minimum level of professionalism one would expect in any company.

The service provided was minimal and inefficient: no drinks offered before take-off and until 45 minutes into the flight. Water was not offered unless asked for. The pilots took breaks one after another, during which service was interrupted for thirty minutes, and of course access to the first class lavatory was blocked. During that never-ending break, the light in the galley was bright and annoying, so was the loud and vapid conversation of the two pilots and the male flight attendant. I do not need to hear them say that they hate their job and are having a [expletive] day. The male flight attendant displayed so little attention to his appearance that I thought when boarding the plane that he was a janitor. The female flight attendant was the only employee on this flight who demonstrated a bit of interest in her job.

The stupid in-flight entertainment via wi-fi did not work, luggage took for ever to come out at LGA and priority-tagged bags came last. Airtran’s big seat upfront is their benchmark.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: united
You should definitely complain about failure to answer the call button (against airline policy even in Y) and playing on the cell phone. United will want to hear about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.