Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Future Flight Status Tool (presently non-operative)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by villox

there is a trick on the United app where if you set your phone’s clock to a date in the future, the app will let you query the status for a flight on or around that date. If you then subscribe to push notifications for that flight, it will stay there in flight status even when you set your clock back to the correct date.

i use this all the time to monitor seat maps and upgrades for future flights.
How does this help with upgrades? I just did it and it only gives me the booked vs capacity.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
How does this help with upgrades? I just did it and it only gives me the booked vs capacity.
Knowing how many seats are actually available is a huge factor in trying to judge upgrade chances.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Knowing how many seats are actually available is a huge factor in trying to judge upgrade chances.
Isn't that what Expert Mode tells us?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Expert mode only shows a max of 9, and also sometimes is skewed if they are willing to oversell (they could have 12 booked and say they are willing to sell 7, even with a cabin of 16 seats).
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Indeed. It's by far the most meaningful indicator.
No. Inventory caps at 9. Flight could be booked 0/60 in J and all you would know is J9.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No.

Expert Mode tells you the number of seats available for sale, up to 9. But, for one thing: there is a huge difference between 57/60 available and 9/60 available. For another thing, if the flight is oversold in Y, and they start blocking J inventory, that looks like a bad sign for upgrades (because inventory starts to get tight) but is actually a great sign. You can see that in the app as something like "37 (+14 blocked)"
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:46 am

Oh ok. Thanks for clarification!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Thanks for the tip. It works great....but...be careful - if you sent a date in the future I noticed it will clear any previously saved flights you may have listed. If you have multiple flights to add start with the latest one and work back to the closest.
Yeah, that's always something that can be frustrating but I'm typically only looking at a couple upcoming trips at a time and I know that I just have to do the method as you said. But it's so much faster once it's in the app.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It doesn't look like it's going to be easy to repair, either. The new URL format includes the date, so it was easy enough to change... but UA is now bounds-checking the parameter, so I get redirected to the main flight status input form if I set it too far into the future.

works --> https://www.united.com/en/us/flights...-25/AUS/SFO/UA
redirects --> https://www.united.com/en/us/flights...-26/AUS/SFO/UA

there is a trick on the United app where if you set your phone’s clock to a date in the future, the app will let you query the status for a flight on or around that date. If you then subscribe to push notifications for that flight, it will stay there in flight status even when you set your clock back to the correct date.
i use this all the time to monitor seat maps and upgrades for future flights.
If UA is bounds checking the URL data, how does the change the device's date work? Is UA querying the device for the date (to get the local date)? The default is to show data for the day before, "today" and 2 days in advance based on local time zone. Just a thought for those looking for a way to resurrect this capability.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If UA is bounds checking the URL data, how does the change the device's date work? Is UA querying the device for the date (to get the local date)? The default is to show data for the day before, "today" and 2 days in advance based on local time zone. Just a thought for those looking for a way to resurrect this capability.
The United app appears to use the local device setting for date to determine which options to display in the date field on the flight status in the app. It probably uses this to make a backend API call which is different from the web-based flight status tool. They'd probably have to bounds check the API call too based on the time stamp on the server if they wanted to remove this, and I doubt this is worth it.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The United app appears to use the local device setting for date to determine which options to display in the date field on the flight status in the app. It probably uses this to make a backend API call which is different from the web-based flight status tool. They'd probably have to bounds check the API call too based on the time stamp on the server if they wanted to remove this, and I doubt this is worth it.
Precisely. It's got to be a different API.

Whether or not it can be hit from the web is a different matter, though. They could potentially do some session authentication first, which would complicate things, potentially to the point of hopelessness.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
The website does calls like this one: https://www.united.com/api/flight/se...&IsMobile=true

However it doesn't work as a direct link since it expects an authentication header that would need to be supplied somehow ... I suspect the app does something similar. Question is whether you could just grab the header from one of the web request - in other words, I would expect any such value to expire at some point, question is how soon ...

PS. Yes, when using a suitable browser extension to inject the "X-Authorization-api" header, you can then make requests for future dates like this: https://www.united.com/api/flight/se...&IsMobile=true

PPS. I guess you guys are actually more interested in this one here rather than the seat map. But it works the same way:
https://www.united.com/api/flight/up...irportCode=SFO

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2019 at 5:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lazytom
PPS. I guess you guys are actually more interested in this one here rather than the seat map. But it works the same way:
https://www.united.com/api/flight/up...irportCode=SFO
I assume you're sniffing your own X-Authorization-api header from the app and passing it along?

Do you see a login-type request where that value is being provided by the server?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
I assume you're sniffing your own X-Authorization-api header from the app and passing it along?

Do you see a login-type request where that value is being provided by the server?
Yes to the first question and for the second, I haven't tried finding that yet ... :-)
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:36 pm

www.cablepick.net/united is not working for me this evening (the page loads, but when I submit the form, it just goes to a blank UA form). Anyone else?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2019 at 10:31 pm Reason: moved to exisiting thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.