Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United is expanding into A gates at Denver (& some C gates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United is expanding into A gates at Denver (& some C gates)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by PushingTin
When did that happen?
WN happened.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

When did that happen? From what I remember from 6 years ago, A used to be all Frontier and internationals and I used to catch delta out of C.
Delta took over Frontier's gates on the west side of A over a year ago now. Spirit and Alaska moved over to C. United took C38 as an extra gate to help during construction at least 6 months ago. United also now operates UAX flights on gates at the east end of the A concourse, in addition to the handful of mainline flights they've operated there for the past couple years. The horrible temporary UAX structure on B concourse is finally being demolished in a few days. Ton of construction happening all over the airport, which is going to make it a headache to fly through for the next 2-3 years...but it'll hopefully be worth it in the end.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
Delta took over Frontier's gates on the west side of A over a year ago now. Spirit and Alaska moved over to C. United took C38 as an extra gate to help during construction at least 6 months ago. United also now operates UAX flights on gates at the east end of the A concourse, in addition to the handful of mainline flights they've operated there for the past couple years. The horrible temporary UAX structure on B concourse is finally being demolished in a few days. Ton of construction happening all over the airport, which is going to make it a headache to fly through for the next 2-3 years...but it'll hopefully be worth it in the end.
I will celebrate the death of the temporary UAX structure and suffer the pain. Will be worth it!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
You mean the high (really lower) 80-90s gates? That area always reminded me of what Saigon looked like when VN was falling- or the human version of that golf tee game where there is only one spot open and you have to move around. Or is the 50s or so gates that don't even have an escaltor down to and you have to walk outside?
lupine likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
You mean the high (really lower) 80-90s gates? That area always reminded me of what Saigon looked like when VN was falling- or the human version of that golf tee game where there is only one spot open and you have to move around. Or is the 50s or so gates that don't even have an escaltor down to and you have to walk outside?
B57-B79 gates. I've given up on the B80-B95 gates, it's clear these aren't ever leaving in the near future.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
B57-B79 gates. I've given up on the B80-B95 gates, it's clear these aren't ever leaving in the near future.
At least most of the B80+ gates have jetbridges... the B57-79 shed was a miserable experience the few times I had the misfortune of using it, often en route to or coming from a Q400 flight.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA hates this CVG flight. It is always at the extreme ends of B and had 170/175s for like two months before going to 319/320s.
sorry for your troubles. Surely, UA has made this flight worse than when this route was on an E45 (and yes, I’ve done it on the E45 - was common in the first couple of years or so after the merger), and trust me, it was no fun - Have also flown this on a CR7, E75 and 319 (maybe an E70 too) at different times, and trust me - any of those options - even out of the high B gates - or even if there would be a bus gate - is a huge improvement over that.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
UA hates this CVG flight. It is always at the extreme ends of B and had 170/175s for like two months before going to 319/320s.
If they really hated the flight, wouldn't they have made it a CRJ-200?

(What's wrong with a 175? Two across in coach, quiet, good aircraft.)
PushingTin likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

The seats in Y are much harder than on a 319 or 320
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

Hey, hey, no reason to throw around -200 threats like that. Those are used by the CIA for stress position training....

I really like the 175s. Lots of F and Y is fairly comfy. I wish they had kept 175s. I actually would get CPUs to clear on 175s.

Originally Posted by N104UA
The seats in Y are much harder than on a 319 or 320
I bring my own padding....

Originally Posted by emcampbe

sorry for your troubles. Surely, UA has made this flight worse than when this route was on an E45 (and yes, I’ve done it on the E45 - was common in the first couple of years or so after the merger), and trust me, it was no fun - Have also flown this on a CR7, E75 and 319 (maybe an E70 too) at different times, and trust me - any of those options - even out of the high B gates - or even if there would be a bus gate - is a huge improvement over that.
Oh, I flew the 145s. 1A twice a month. Cold as HECK in the winter- I felt like a waist gunner on a B17 bomber, plus the side comes in just enough that your left foot can't lay flat... Plus, they moved the Friday return to after 7pm- which is useless because getting to the airport during rush hour was a hit or miss- and the inbound was usually jacked and I got home after midnight usually. Dark days.

700s weren't bad, still a bit tight in Y if you had another bog fella next to you.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, I flew the 145s. 1A twice a month. Cold as HECK in the winter- I felt like a waist gunner on a B17 bomber
My dad was a navigator and top gunner on B-17s over Europe in 1944-45. I assure you, you did not feel like a waist gunner on a B-17.
N104UA likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The shed at B59-79 is now closed, as noted above, and many flights with UAX 50-seaters (especially CRJ) are using A71-81. I also saw UA aircraft on A38/40/42/44 this morning, so it would appear more A gates are in regular use for the major 11am and 5pm banks.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have moved the DEN construction / expansion related posts to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...21-2024-a.html to have a thread just focused on the DEN construction activities, which now appeared to be delayed.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2019 at 9:35 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
Last Friday, I arrived at A73 and departed from C38. That was ... unique.
DenverBrian and EWR764 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MysteryTour
Last Friday, I arrived at A73 and departed from C38. That was ... unique.
That is possible until the airport gets all B concourse construction done and UA can again consolidate all arrivals/departures to the B concourse.

When you get on the train, there are no longer any descriptions of which airline is in which concourse. mr8 has a pic showing signs outside the trains, at the boarding platforms; but there is no info once you're on the train itself.

P.S. This isn't anything new. Stuff like this happened regularly in the TED days. Rar.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jun 24, 2019 at 9:51 am Reason: mr8's pic location finally discovered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.