Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Companion no combine status after RPU request

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium

So I made the reservation together and then requested RPU for the both of us and the system separated our reservations with different confirmation number. When I changed our flight within 24hr there was no fee for me but for the other person there is a fee and also baggage fees. We were wait listed RPU and now the other person has to pay to be in economy plus. So I'm being penalized for requesting RPU...real nice
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JC1976
So I made the reservation together and then requested RPU for the both of us and the system separated our reservations with different confirmation number. When I changed our flight within 24hr there was no fee for me but for the other person there is a fee and also baggage fees. We were wait listed RPU and now the other person has to pay to be in economy plus. So I'm being penalized for requesting RPU...real nice
So did you call United at any point? Companion should've still been able to chance for no fee within 24 hours, that is not something you get with status. Also, you can get your companion into E+ as long as you are on the same flight as them.

Finally, how many bags are you checking between the two? You should be able to check 3 bags. If more, tell the check-in agent to look into the history, I'm sure they can see that the reservation used to be together and waive the fee
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The system is doing what "it thinks is right" because it sees a non-status/lower status passenger but that's not how it should work because you both were originally on a single reservation carrying your 1k status. This has happened with goalie-parents when goalie-dad was a 1k (and also now as gold) and a simple phone call to reservations fixed it
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by goalie
The system is doing what "it thinks is right" because it sees a non-status/lower status passenger but that's not how it should work because you both were originally on a single reservation carrying your 1k status. This has happened with goalie-parents when goalie-dad was a 1k (and also now as gold) and a simple phone call to reservations fixed it
I was informed by check-in desk recently that if you split a reservation (this was a mileage redemption ticket), the remaining non-status passengers no longer receive the baggage allowance of the elite that was split off. I figured that was the recent change where mileage tickets no longer hold the credentials of the sponsors miles. Is the rule different for revenue vs. mileage tickets? Next time should I be asking check-in desk to look into history of booking to see that elite was on the itinerary and that baggage allowance should be that of elite, as elite is still on this flight, and standing right in front of them, the only reason for the split was upgrade possibility?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:12 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by azzurro
I was informed by check-in desk recently that if you split a reservation (this was a mileage redemption ticket), the remaining non-status passengers no longer receive the baggage allowance of the elite that was split off. I figured that was the recent change where mileage tickets no longer hold the credentials of the sponsors miles. Is the rule different for revenue vs. mileage tickets? Next time should I be asking check-in desk to look into history of booking to see that elite was on the itinerary and that baggage allowance should be that of elite, as elite is still on this flight, and standing right in front of them, the only reason for the split was upgrade possibility?
Afaik, both revenue and award travel are treated the same after a split and yes, it's the reservation history that will help you (as in the case of goalie-parents, I also always make sure that they carry a copy of the original (pre-split) e-ticket and itinerary with them when they fly "just in case" it can't be handled over the phone and needs to be handled at the airport)
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
Was told on the phone that it has to be done at the airport and they might waive the fees. But I'm not going to the airport to change the flight to tomorrow especially if you don't live near the airport.

The airport agent seems to have more flexibility than the call center which is really at home agents unless you get the ticketing desk or web support agents who has more flexibility to make changes it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.