Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

737's: Worst First Class comfort in the fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737's: Worst First Class comfort in the fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
5. Airbus fuselage is easily 12 inches wider for added passenger comfort.
7", to be exact.

Originally Posted by hoth300
I have an upcoming flight on a 737-700 in F... seatguru indicates 1A has a cutout in the bulkhead... true?
1AB have a wide cutout, about 6-8" deep.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin Adams
Wow, I'm shocked! I have the exact opposite opinion. I think the Airbus first class seats are miserable and I try to avoid them.
I'm in 2A on a 319 right now and 1A just reclined into my laptop. Don't ever recall that happening on a 73.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Wow, I'm shocked! I have the exact opposite opinion. I think the Airbus first class seats are miserable and I try to avoid them.
Single biggest issue I have is the head rests in the down position hit my back / shoulder blades in a awkward manner. Fine up, down
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat4Life, Hertz Pres Circle, reformed WN AP & CP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Single biggest issue I have is the head rests in the down position hit my back / shoulder blades in a awkward manner. Fine up, down
That is my main problem with the Airbus seats! And the headrests never stay up. As I try to rest my head they fall down onto my back / shoulders. Also the Airbus seats always seem like they are at an angle which is very annoying. I prefer the straight backs of the 737. They cause my back less pain.

Call me mad, but I think the E75 might be my favorite narrow-body first class seat. I'll be on one again this coming Monday so I'll refresh my memory.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Call me mad, but I think the E75 might be my favorite narrow-body first class seat. I'll be on one again this coming Monday so I'll refresh my memory.
You're not mad at all! The ERJ FC seats are by far my favorite non-lie flats. It's really just a pleasant airplane all around.

I do like he pmUA first class seats much more than the ones in the 737, with the caveat being that every now and then one of those seats is worn down enough that there's a rod right down the middle.

I only find the pmCO seats miserable on a redeye. Really only modestly different than Y in that circumstance, and not worth a whole lot more $.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Agree the E75 FC seat is the best domestic one. 737 still the worse.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got to "enjoy" the 737-800 from RDU-SFO earlier this year, that was not much fun.

Last month I was offered a decent UFC for RDU-ORD on a 737-900 but I figured E+ for free was much better than paying even a dollar extra for those seats.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I got to "enjoy" the 737-800 from RDU-SFO earlier this year, that was not much fun.

Last month I was offered a decent UFC for RDU-ORD on a 737-900 but I figured E+ for free was much better than paying even a dollar extra for those seats.
I personally think 7A/C/D/F is more comfortable than F on the 738 if you have the old (non-slimline) seats and an empty middle. Possibly even if middle is occupied so long as that pax is thin.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:50 am

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
And they're getting worse! The 739 has one inch less pitch than the older 737s in F.

I hope the 737-700s that were just ordered won't have pitch that is similarly shrunk up front.
According to the United Fleet site, 737-700s that were historically 12/40/66 will go 12/40/72, so unless this is a 737-750, pitch will suffer to get that extra econ row in.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Do we know how they're going to configure the new/used 319s? Presumably they'll use the "new" F seat.
A319s with the new seats keep the 8/42/78 config, so I imagine they won't deviate from that. Makes no sense converting the used planes into old config when they're just going to refresh them again.

Last edited by goalie; Mar 6, 2016 at 6:43 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AS MVP 75k, *G LT, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Yes, particularly the 319 with only 2 F rows: I am still too tall to sit in the first row comfortably and the last row hardly reclines. The 320 has three F rows so I can at least try to get into the 2nd row. Unfortuately the only direct flight IAH-SJC was switched to a 319 and since then I fly into SFO again, which I had been able to avoid before.

__________________________________________________ _______________
2016: GS - PQM: 040,000 - GPU=2/02; RPU=2/6; CPU=08/10
2015: GS - PQM: 148,000 - GPU=8/12; RPU=2/2; CPU=29/30
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I personally think 7A/C/D/F is more comfortable than F on the 738 if you have the old (non-slimline) seats and an empty middle. Possibly even if middle is occupied so long as that pax is thin.
With respect, you guys are crazy. If I ever get the chance, I'll happily trade 7A for any seat in the F cabin, even row 1

Originally Posted by Terence.Hill
Yes, particularly the 319 with only 2 F rows: I am still too tall to sit in the first row comfortably and the last row hardly reclines.
This. I'm always dismayed to see the E75 -> 319 "upgauge" that sometimes happens on longer UX routes.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
With respect, you guys are crazy. If I ever get the chance, I'll happily trade 7A for any seat in the F cabin, even row 1
I was totally serious Just flew RDU-EWR today on a 737-700 with no DTV, no wifi, no PDE, no power, and those ancient straight-back pmCO seats (which I find quite uncomfortable). It's also missing a window in row 1. Overall just a pathetic excuse for first class.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
And they're getting worse! The 739 has one inch less pitch than the older 737s in F.

I hope the 737-700s that were just ordered won't have pitch that is similarly shrunk up front.
I flew a 739 from Ord to lax. Guantanamo bay should consider sending a few prisoners on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.