Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits (Starting Oct 6, 2016, only 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50)
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Previous thread(s)
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Offhand I'd consider a mileage run of $500-1000 based on the following valuation of Plat benefits as listed by gobluetwo, YMMV:
  • maybe a few more CPUs (I've gotten 2-3 this year as a Plat, so not much value for me) = $0 (rarely saw CPUs as a 1K @SFO, YMMV elsewhere)
  • 2 RPUs (couldn't apply any of them to my TCON/MIDCONs, unfortunately) = $300 (I'd pay @$150 to buy up to F on a transcon)
  • waived award redeposit/change/cancellation fees (depends on your award booking strategy/approach) = Very difficult to value - can save $$$$ by allowing you to use miles instead of $ to buy tickets, but can also be $0
  • additional companions in E+ (family or couple/solo flier?) = $300 (based on one family trip per year valuing buy-up @$75 one-way)
  • 9x RDM multiplier vs 8x RDM multiplier $180 ($9k spend x .02 (per mile)
  • Boarding group 1 = $0 (like being first but wouldn't pay for it)
By this calculation the minimum value to me is $780+ which places it smack in the middle of the expected range.

Of course this value will be different for everyone - consider, e.g. Would you normally pay to buy-up to E+ or F? Do you avoid using miles when you cannot find the most optimal flights? What is your anticipated spend (which will affect the RDM value)? etc.
Thanks!! This is very useful
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
How much would you spend to get the missing 8000 PQM? $200? $400? $800? $1000?
I was in basically the same situation last week - I realized that (given travel plans for remainder of month) I would need just less than 8000 PQM to make Plat for first time, and was offered 8000 PQM for $900. I decided to do it, but I thought it was a very borderline decision.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Bet you a beer (and bragging rights ) that in one year, on December 17, 2015, it will still be possible to apply RPUs to P.S. flights without a co-pay, nor will they have announced plans to require a co-pay nor disallow usage of RPUs on p.s. flights for travel through and including March 31, 2016. You in?
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sure, sign me up...we'll make it a 312 if those are still on UA planes by then
312s aren't around, but I'll gladly take a Goose Island IPA or a Buffalo Trace from you
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Just re-qualified for Plat again last week. Kind of thankful to UA that they instituted PQD without waivers for 1K, so no temptation there.

Main reason for going to some trouble attaining Plat is for the increased flexibility for award miles. I also put more value than some here on boarding group 1; it's nice not having to worry about bin space. There are also some airports where Plat is the break point for the extra-special line.

For upgrades, Plat has been nearly worthless, other than short flights. I have managed to keep the RPUs from going to waste though.

Can't say if it makes a difference whether Plat or Gold, but my irrops handling has been amazingly good. Never had a long hold time (two minutes maybe longest this year?) and have always been agreeable to my suggested alternatives.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Gold v. Plat 2016 - Help me choose please

Hi all - I am gold for this year. Currently sitting at 62000 PQM.

I'm CLE based and do almost all leisure flying, usually with copanion mrs_dergon in tow.

I have about 45k FPQM from my United PPMC. I earn around 15k FPQM per year through spend.

For 2016 I have a few mid-cons (CLE -SFO / CLE- SAN) a couple of TATLs, and probably a couple CLE to Flordia/NYC/ or other random trip. Probably something around 30k in the air next year.

My main choice:

Door #1) Do nothing now. Stay as gold through until the end of and then cash in another pile of FPQM either at year end if I'm close to 50k or at beginning of 2015 if I'm not ... either way I'm set for gold either until start of 2018 or 2019. Pro -- don't spend any FPQM and continue to stockpile. Con - Not as good upgrades (for companion or self) for 2016, no RPUs, lower mile earning

Door#2) Cash in 13k FPQM at the year end 2015. This will put me as Platinum for 2016. Pros - Better upgrades, better reward access, RPUs. Cons ---Depletes my FPQM stockpile a bit and maybe I'm not flying enough to make it worth it anyway.

Constructive thoughts welcomed. Thanks!

dergon
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, the biggest benefit for Platinum is the waived award related fees - but that depends on how many award tickets you use / change. If that is not a concern, it seems to me 2 years of Gold is better than 1 year of Platinum?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:56 am

United Mileage Plus Platinum-- worth a last-min mileage run?

HI, --

I am about 3K miles shy of platinum status. I live in SE Asia and travel back to the mainland about 4 times a year for work, and around the region.

I was told by United rep that it was "absolutely worth it" to do a mileage run before end of this calendar year to secure Platinum status (I'm Gold now, obviously).

Is this worth it? I'm pretty clueless about these things.

Thanks for any constructive replies.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:23 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by JWH2
HI, --

I am about 3K miles shy of platinum status. I live in SE Asia and travel back to the mainland about 4 times a year for work, and around the region.

I was told by United rep that it was "absolutely worth it" to do a mileage run before end of this calendar year to secure Platinum status (I'm Gold now, obviously).

Is this worth it? I'm pretty clueless about these things.

Thanks for any constructive replies.
That's a very personal thing and will depend on a lot of factors that are unique to you. For example:

- Do you like flying?
- Do you fly UA metal often?
- Do you fly UA on regional routes that are upgrade-eligible?
- Are you willing to "waste" money on taking a trip you don't need? How much?

For me… being based in the US, I'd use it as an excuse to take a weekend trip somewhere to make Platinum. For you, the answer will be different.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:55 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
HI, --

Surprised a UA agent would suggest that

Originally Posted by helvetic
That's a very personal thing and will depend on a lot of factors that are unique to you. For example:

- Do you like flying?
- Do you fly UA metal often?
- Do you fly UA on regional routes that are upgrade-eligible?
- Are you willing to "waste" money on taking a trip you don't need? How much?
The two biggies for Plat over Gold (IMHO) are 2 RPUs and being able to do close in bookings using miles without a fee as well as cancelling without a fee. There are few others, like being higher up on u/g list, but you have to decided if it's worth it to you.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Is this worth it?
Doubtful, unless you (i) plan to redeem a bunch of UA miles and need the flexibility of waived change/cancel fees, and (ii) are doing a fair amount of domestic US flying on UA (to use the RPUs and for the still rather slim hope of CPUs).

I would think that for your situation, the most valuable status levels are Gold (for lounge access and E+ at booking) and 1K (for GPU). Plat I doubt adds much.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
PLat is probably the sweet spot for most US travellers

9 percent rebate in form of RDM
Group 1
Redeposit free - huge on strategy as noted below

and all attainable with about 9 transcons or sales week loops in J for about the PQD requirement - of course thats a cinch to waive
I would disagree that 2mm is the sweet spot. I think that ua 1mm is the most valuable as long ua gold is star gold .When it becomes star silver then 2mm is the sweet spot. I don't find the 25 dollar award charge to be much and free for redeposit and changes within 24 hours. You get more benefits and more miles by not getting 016 tickets so why would anyone want to fly united metal past 1mm is oblivious to me.

Last edited by jfk747; Dec 28, 2015 at 1:58 pm Reason: structure
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Honestly, no........
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Surprised a UA agent would suggest that

The two biggies for Plat over Gold (IMHO) are 2 RPUs and being able to do close in bookings using miles without a fee as well as cancelling without a fee. There are few others, like being higher up on u/g list, but you have to decided if it's worth it to you.
I transferred in my Flexible miles this year to make up the difference to Platinum. I used to be 1K but fly a lot less now due to severe arthritis in my knees and hips. The two reasons I opted to use the Flexible miles are the ones listed above.

Award tickets and the ability to cancel and rebook them at will for free and the RPUs that will get me an upgrade EWR to HNL (if I can find one, lol!)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Based on my wife's experience, I'd say you can consider platinum to be just like 1K except where you never get upgraded. So if you want all the other benefits like no fees, 8 pax in E+, red carpet boarding, access to IN class awards, decent phone agents, free hotel during irrops, etc., then go for it. If you primarily want upgrades, then forget about it.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ftweb
Based on my wife's experience, I'd say you can consider platinum to be just like 1K except where you never get upgraded. So if you want all the other benefits like no fees, 8 pax in E+, red carpet boarding, access to IN class awards, decent phone agents, free hotel during irrops, etc., then go for it. If you primarily want upgrades, then forget about it.
I came close to half of my flights upgraded as Plat this past year, and ALL TPACs on Ca$h and Miles. I'm sure flying from AA hub helps And yes, I'm fully aware of all those 1K hub captives that NEVER get upgraded.

I was under the impression that ONLY 1K get hotel during WX irrops. MX, i was under the impression that ALL PAX get hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.