Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The value of Platinum status over Gold status is generally a "YMMV" situation. Different people will value different benefits in different ways. Here are the most commonly cited differences that people mention:
  • Boarding in Group 1 instead of Group 2
  • 2 RPUs (none for Gold)
  • Improved chances at CPUs through higher priority
  • 8 companions in E+ on same itinerary vs. 1 companion
  • 3x 70 lb. bags on UA instead of 2x, although plats and golds have exact same additional bag allowance provided to *G on other Star Alliance carriers
  • Greater RDM earning rate (9x instead of 8x base fare)
  • Free award reservation changes, cancellations, miles redeposits (Starting Oct 6, 2016, only 61 days or more before departure, otherwise $50)
  • Somewhat improved premium cabin award space availability
  • Presidential Circle status with Hertz

A list of differences is available here: Premier benefits chart

Previous thread(s)
Consolidated "Is 75K/Platinum Status Worth It?" Thread [Merged]
Print Wikipost

Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Question Is it worth it to stretch for Plat (over Gold)? [2016 Consolidated]

In planning out my travel for the rest of the year, it looks like I'll end up one coast-to-coast flight away from reaching Platinum status. Is it worth making the effort to try to get over the threshold of 75,000 PQM, or should I just be content to stay at Gold? I can't say I've seen too many benefits of Gold status beyond being able to book Premium Economy. I'm not sure I've been upgraded more than once in the 2-3 years I've had Gold status, and never on a coast-to-coast flight. Separately, I'm starting to wonder why I'm even loyal to United. I flew on Lufthansa to Europe this summer and realized their treatment far surpassed what I receive on United. You don't really get much here in the U.S. compared to Europe, I guess.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
I think you answered your own question!

Platinum does give you no change fee for award rebooks that may be useful to you.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
With Platinum, I think you are able to nab E+ seating at booking rather than having to wait until 24 hours before departure. Also, you get 2 regional upgrade certs.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by 1kBill
With Platinum, I think you are able to nab E+ seating at booking rather than having to wait until 24 hours before departure.
So can Golds.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Was headed for UA 3MM so would be 1K for life, but UA management convinced me that it's not worth it.
Me too, by the way!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
It was worth it for me to do a quick mileage run at the end of last year because I travel with my family of four, and we can all get E+ for free; with gold, you only get +1. It also has paid off because I made several free changes on award tickets, and that would have added up for all of us. Plus I was able to use the RPUs on PS flights, which was nice. Supposedly there is more award inventory for Platinums in premium cabins (IN v. I), but I've only seen that once in my flight searches, and it turned out I couldn't use it.

On the other hand, my friend who is married with no kids, usually flies herself, uses her miles for upgrades, and flies almost exclusively international, had no compelling reason to go beyond gold.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

This is all very helpful -- thank you. Can the 2 RPUs be used on an LAX-EWR flight?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
I think PLAT is the sweet spot on UA.

You can waive PQD, so you can fly cheap
Miles accumulate at a decent rate. almost the same as 1K
you get enough miles so you can upgrade INTL flights
No fee for award changes makes miles usable close in.

Domestically, 75k BIS is pretty easy to hit without getting tin can syndrome.

You can get all this with some FC transcon flying every other month
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by flyguy2
This is all very helpful -- thank you. Can the 2 RPUs be used on an LAX-EWR flight?
Yes, if upgrade space is available, which maybe a issue.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:51 pm

I'm doing my best to avoid Platinum.
I've got 53k PQM for the year, and I feel the extra 3k were wasted on UA. The upcoming planned 7k PQM on SQ seem like a total waste. I wish they were going to another program which is where the rest of my flying for the year is going. Perhaps I should join SQ's program or something. hm.
Being in the SFO area, Platinum got me very few CPU's for the routes that I fly & the RPU's don't help much. I keep giving the RPU's to wife and other family. Two per year is not very much. Staying Gold makes almost no difference. The GOES reimbursement was nice while it lasted.
Groups 1 & 2 boarding are a joke. Group 8 should board first. That looks like the most exclusive group by far.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Aug 31, 2015 at 3:59 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Not much here about us in the "middle"

• The GMs get treated badly; their voice is being heard.
  • The lowly 2P... well, yeah, they don't have it all that bad, all things considered. Getting E+ at check-in, better handling with irrops, and if they have access to the same premiere line I do, much better customer service than the GM.
  • The *G/1P... this conversation seems more about preserving lifetime benefits from being a 1MM flyer than anything else.
  • 1K- pretty much the focus of the conversation it seems, and deservedly-so. The PQD requirement has heavily filtered out the riff-raff; the 1K should be considered a very valuable customer to United.
  • GS- 1K on steroids. Keep 'em happy, pretty much do what you have to do.

So where does the Plat fit in? Seriously. We see virtually zero input from Plats here, and virtually no mention at all from UA. Is a Plat someone who just happens to fly UA a fair amount, but not enough to seriously contribute to the bottom-line? Should Plat even exist at all, proposing instead that you jump from 1P to 1K but have extra benefits that kick in at a given milestone?

Prior to the merger, there was no Plat at United. It was a carryover from the CO side and, for me, a welcome one. 1K is far beyond my means, due to PQD and flying patterns. Plat can be accomplished, if I make travel a priority in my life. Plat has actually caused that to happen. But the only reason Plat makes sense for me are the no-charge change and redeposits on award fees.

Does Plat matter? Should there be something beyond just the award redeposits (and two domestic upgrades that are tough to use)?

Why aren't Plats as vocal as others here?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

Remember the plat level came from CO. So they are the group that gained some with the changes. In general, the UA people lost benefits, and the CO people gained them. UA already admitted that.

The Plats gained regionals, E+, and a larger route network to use their regionals on. Free award redeposit and waitlisting across a larger network.

Sure they're a bit lower in upgrade pecking order, but for many Plats, upgrades were already poor at CO.

I remember one year when my op up rate on US as *G was higher than my upgrade rate on CO as CO Plat. It's not much different than today where my upgrade rate on DL as a lowly AS MVPG is comparable to my upgrade rate as 1K on UA.

Plats were already flying CO's dark planes and we're privileged enough to eat a burrito in the rare event their upgrade cleared.

It's all about baseline. The CO Plats were already beaten down. They don't have much to complain about in comparison.

Smisek was hoping the rest of the UA customer base would be as accepting as the Plats were at CO. That didn't happen.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa

It's all about baseline. The CO Plats were already beaten down. They don't have much to complain about in comparison.

Smisek was hoping the rest of the UA customer base would be as accepting as the Plats were at CO. That didn't happen.
Another masterful summary of the sado-masochistic customer relationship that CO had perfected at the elite level. ^@:-)^

sCO Plats knew their place, and it was not among the ranks of over-entitled elites who look to FT to get the most for their money.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Clearly, I've lost my way...

Originally Posted by transportprof
Another masterful summary of the sado-masochistic customer relationship that CO had perfected at the elite level. ^@:-)^

sCO Plats knew their place, and it was not among the ranks of over-entitled elites who look to FT to get the most for their money.
You should go back and read over some of my earlier posts when I was the leader of the lowly 2P contingent on UA. It was like herding cats, trying to keep my group in its place. After a year or so we, as a group, we were relatively well-behaved on FT and respectful of those who truly earned their status (and upgrades). CO must have had their version of me as a Plat I guess.

Clearly, I've lost my way, or I wouldn't have made my post above, suggesting that nobody cares about the Plat, rather than pointing out that the silence of the plat is evidence that we're the only elite that appears to know its place in the new world order.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
  • The GMs get treated badly; their voice is being heard.
  • The lowly 2P... well, yeah, they don't have it all that bad, all things considered. Getting E+ at check-in, better handling with irrops, and if they have access to the same premiere line I do, much better customer service than the GM.
  • The *G/1P... this conversation seems more about preserving lifetime benefits from being a 1MM flyer than anything else.
  • 1K- pretty much the focus of the conversation it seems, and deservedly-so. The PQD requirement has heavily filtered out the riff-raff; the 1K should be considered a very valuable customer to United.
  • GS- 1K on steroids. Keep 'em happy, pretty much do what you have to do.

So where does the Plat fit in? Seriously. We see virtually zero input from Plats here, and virtually no mention at all from UA. Is a Plat someone who just happens to fly UA a fair amount, but not enough to seriously contribute to the bottom-line? Should Plat even exist at all, proposing instead that you jump from 1P to 1K but have extra benefits that kick in at a given milestone?

Prior to the merger, there was no Plat at United. It was a carryover from the CO side and, for me, a welcome one. 1K is far beyond my means, due to PQD and flying patterns. Plat can be accomplished, if I make travel a priority in my life. Plat has actually caused that to happen. But the only reason Plat makes sense for me are the no-charge change and redeposits on award fees.

Does Plat matter? Should there be something beyond just the award redeposits (and two domestic upgrades that are tough to use)?

Platinum is a really underwhelming stepping stone from Gold to 1K. My best guess is that UA has *a lot* of Gold and Platinum level travelers so there isn't much space to improve the benefits for Platinum. Perhaps Gold and Platinum should be merged...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.