Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is the change to early boarding for families w/children 2 or under a good move by UA?
Like the change and it will improve boarding time
9.68%
Like the change but it will not improve boarding time
9.01%
Dislike the change but it will improve boarding time
2.15%
Dislike the change and it will not improve boarding time
61.02%
Could support a different change and it will improve boarding time
3.09%
Could support a different change but it will not improve boarding time
2.96%
Neutral but it will improve boarding times
2.02%
Neutral but it will not improve boarding times
10.08%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Reintroducing Early Boarding for Families with Children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1)

Originally Posted by drewguy
Originally Posted by magemarq
Plus it's not about boarding time. It's about bin space. Every time I board I see coach pax filling up first class bins with their stuff.
This is the heart of the question - would boarding order matter if you were guaranteed bin space as an F pax, 1K, etc.? (Sure, perhaps a little more time in F for a preflight drink). Maybe UA should just enforce the bag limits, especially against GMs, to ensure that elites have bag space whenever they board.
I would love to see the 1 + 1 applied to everyone, including elites, which IMO, are the worst offenders of having bags over the limit (number and dimensions).
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a father of a three year old frequent flyer (she files with me >25,000 miles a year), I'm neutral on this change. In general, families with small children do not take much, if any, overhead bin space. You need to have everything at arm's reach, and you only have so many arms, meaning that it is critical to check anything that is not needed on board. I personally never put anything in the overhead when I am traveling with my daughter.

But there is no question that this will lead to issues with families who are not seated together. Combined with a better policy for getting families together before boarding, and this wouldn't be much of an issue.

I've seen a number of suggestions that families wait to get off until the very end, which I don't think will work. Many also have connections to get, and they don't really slow things up much more than people with bags in the overhead compartment. With everything under a seat, it's much easier to get organized before you stand up.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:19 am

This is the heart of the question - would boarding order matter if you were guaranteed bin space as an F pax, 1K, etc.? (Sure, perhaps a little more time in F for a preflight drink). Maybe UA should just enforce the bag limits, especially against GMs, to ensure that elites have bag space whenever they board.
Right, generally I prefer to board either last (to maximize time in the lounge), or first to get an early start on catching up on some work.

When I pay for F, I assume that either option should be available to me. However, one time, I boarded at the final moment and found that all the space in the overhead bins were taken. I can't believe the FAs allowed coach passengers to use the overhead space in F.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: ua 1k/*g, ge, hh g, spg/mr plat
Originally Posted by fly18725
...excellent use of "vituperative."

I think this is a simple suggestion that could have a dramatic impact. It not only removes a burden from the GA, but creates more passenger accountability and results in additional simplification of the boarding process. United could take it a step further and require anyone who needs preboarding to check in with an agent at the airport. In addition to validating the requirement to preboard, agents could encourage the preboarding passengers to check bags.
Love it! Great build - we'll have this figured out for them in no time...what should we charge?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:27 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I just emailed 1K voice this. Let's see what response I get.

I just heard about the changes taking effect on 2/15/16 where families will be allowed to board first. I find this unacceptable. I have been loyal to United for years but this might make me consider choosing another airline without a similar policy and here is why:

1. Families take a long time. This will delay boarding. Screaming, bratty children should be last and not first.

2. They will put their bags in First class and no one will enforce this policy. I fly almost always in First and I will be beyond aggravated if a coach passenger's bag is in the overhead above me.

3. This will be abused. Teenagers will be considered "families" and will be boarding first. Gate agents are not going to delay boarding to argue with passengers over children's ages.

4. Loyalty. What is the point of paying for a premium cabin or getting status? Anyone can just get someone pregnant, pop out a child, and then preboard. It is not something that should be recognized and given a privilege. Military and the disabled deserve the time for their service to this country or genuine need.

This needs to change before it starts and First class, Global Services, and 1K need to board before them.

I am very disappointed by this change. This might be the worst news to come out of the merger overall. I hope that enough people write to complain and that United changes course.
One of the most poorly written letters to a corporation I've read. Far too much subjective opinions/generalizations and judgements of people outside of their operational efficiency contribution or economic contribution to the airline. I'm guessing a form letter reply, which, I think, in this case, would be better than an actual response to your issues.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold

Are you saying the only worthwhile benefit of paying for F or status is to be the first on the airplane and that allowing people to procreate diminishes that benefit for you?
I'm saying that when I buy First, I should get to board first and not have to worry about bin space.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Visconti
I can't believe the FAs allowed coach passengers to use the overhead space in F.
On both of my ps flights this weekend, the FAs were encouraging Y pax to come forward with their bags and fill the forward BF bins. So we got a parade of pax in the aisles bumping into the seats with their bags and jamming their bags on top of the ones that were already in there.

Sometimes UA just doesn't get it.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
This might be the worst news to come out of the merger overall.
You have GOT to be kidding. Hyperbole much?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=fly18725;26120754]

Originally Posted by fastair
One of the most poorly written letters to a corporation I've read. Far too much subjective opinions and judgements of people outside of their operational efficiency contribution or economic contribution to the airline. I'm guessing a form letter reply, which, I guess, in this case, is better than an actual response to your issues.
I don't consider this to be a formal letter to UA. A quick note to 1Kvoice to express unhappiness is not the same as writing a letter to an executive (which I will also be writing separately). You're right, I might get a form letter. But, if UA gets enough complaints it might change course. The recent tone makes me think that someone is listening and that things are getting better (this change aside).
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have no problem boarding last if United creates a valet pre board for my carry on bag.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I sense lots of DYKWIA from this thread. More people seem appalled by the courtesy UAL is trying to extend because it doesn't benefit them. I guess I should not be surprised.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
[QUOTE=EWRFlyerAL;26120847]

I don't consider this to be a formal letter to UA. A quick note to 1Kvoice to express unhappiness is not the same as writing a letter to an executive (which I will also be writing separately). You're right, I might get a form letter. But, if UA gets enough complaints it might change course. The recent tone makes me think that someone is listening and that things are getting better (this change aside).
If you really wrote that AND Sent that all I can say is OMG wow; you just made yourself look really bad and I can see whatever inbox that was received to just be deleted instantly

I can't believe an educated (and that is an assumption) person would send that and expect a positive response.

LMAO
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:09 am

[QUOTE=TrojanHorse;26120999]

If you really wrote that AND Sent that all I can say is OMG wow; you just made yourself look really bad and I can see whatever inbox that was received to just be deleted instantly

I can't believe an educated (and that is an assumption) person would send that and expect a positive response.

LMAO
Whether or not you agree with the way that it was expressed is irrelevant. It looks like the majority of this thread (including those with small children) agree that this is a bad idea. I still contend that reproducing does not give you priority and that this is going to be a cluster once it begins.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:10 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Another reason to STOP flying UA. I am a MCO flyer and it will be a zoo too and from my home base.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
Not happy about this - I foresee lax enforcement of the age limit and a general cluster at boarding time.
What are the odds announcement is phrased as "small children" instead of "infants" or children two and under"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.