Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Food & Beverage for GS & 1K Members when Seated in Economy (Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azzurro
It has been many years, likely pre-merger but there were several times where fee for a snack box was required if you didn't like the meal option in F. Thank goodness that is not an issue for most flyers any longer. Trying to get a child to eat a shrimp salad is quite funny... or not.
I'm still not sure what the official position is -- since I've never been charged (all of my snackbox requests have been post-merger) even when offering my credit card/expecting to be charged, I assumed it was a policy, but I asked my fiancée's cousin who's a UA (sCO) flight attendant and he wasn't aware of an official exception for "Wow, both of those sound disgusting, may I have a <X> from the back?" but agreed it was usually something the ISM would waive.

(And trying to get ME to eat a shrimp salad is quite funny...or not. )
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:29 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I've never seen it proactively offered, but aside from one flight where the FA essentially snubbed me for the rest of the flight [They were out of the only option I would have considered eating] I've never had a problem requesting a snackbox in F.... I've also never been charged for the request even before earning 1K or the Y program beginning.
Same experience here. I've decline the food in F many times and asked for a snackbox instead. Usually they were happy to oblige; and never charged me. (Before the 1K program)
Old May 4, 2016, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
On a recent SEA-IAD flight I asked for one of the Bistro on Board items and was told quite adamantly that only snack boxes were included. Not knowing the rules, until I read this thread, I didn't protest. Next time I will.

Did get a very nice thank you, written on a business card, for my loyalty from one of the pilots though.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
On my last two flights in first I was offered the meal or a choice of a snack box or sandwich from the back. Both times one/both of us opted for something from the back. The FA was very friendly about it and it was no problem. I was surprised to have them ask when taking the order as one time earlier in the year I did not like the selection and asked to get a snack box from the back instead. It was still no problem and she in fact opened the box and laid everything out nicely on little plates. I have been pleasantly surprised ("delighted") on my last UA flights.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:44 am

Does the benefit apply to SF to Vancouver? I know it's international, but the complimentary upgrades are in effect.

Thanks
Old May 5, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abbydancer
Does the benefit apply to SF to Vancouver? I know it's international, but the complimentary upgrades are in effect.

Thanks
Yes. US-Canada is considered "North America" or "International", depending on benefit (e.g. Int'l for lounge access, N. America for 1K food/drink). Look at "Terms and conditions":

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx
Old May 5, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes. US-Canada is considered "North America" or "International", depending on benefit (e.g. Int'l for lounge access, N. America for 1K food/drink). Look at "Terms and conditions":

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...y-benefit.aspx
I thought so, but I didn't get the email. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by abbydancer

Thanks
From United.com - the link in the wiki:

If you’re a member with Premier 1K status, you'll receive one free alcoholic beverage and one free Choice Menu food item when traveling in United Economy on United- or United Express®-operated flights within North America and between Guam and Honolulu.
Old May 7, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
It amazes me the inconsistency that still exists with this policy.

Had 2 express flights yesterday (Republic and Shuttle):

Neither were proactive and asked for payment both my beverage and snackbox.
When I showed my BP they grudgingly checked the list and then said it only applied to one item.

I protested (making me look like a DYKWIA in the process...) and the crew on the first flight gave in. The 2nd flight charged me.

I wrote a note to 1KVoice letting them know of the training issues.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:17 pm

My trip to Vancouver went well. I asked for a snack box, showed her my card and she asked "ms. abbydancer". When I confirmed, she asked if I also wanted a drink.
Old May 8, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
In my move to Alaska Airlines it has been nice to see how conscientious they are about checking their iPhone manifest as they move row to row, greet any elite pax by name and offer them their entitled goodies (digi-player, alcohol, or chocolate). If they ever miss, and I ask for it, they apologize profusely.

Completely different customer service culture. (but no free food yet for top tier )
Old May 13, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Wow, best ever experience!!

For a recent short hop (EWR-ORF) on E145, the FA came to me offering me complimentary drink and snack before she started serving the entire cabin. I felt that I was her VIP on the plane. When deplaned, she thanked me again (she remembered my last name very well). I was really overwhelmed by this FA. Way to go, United.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Yep, the last three E145 flights I've taken the FA had me memorized and offered every time. Even at 6.00am, an alcoholic drink was suggested (and declined!!)
Old May 13, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Nice benefit but VERY inconsistent

It appears that not all flight attendants are aware of this new benefit for 1Ks. I think in 5 or so flights, a free alcoholic beverage and/or snack box has been offered just once. I asked once (more out of curiosity than hunger/thirst). The response blew me away....the flight attendant said she had been "off" for awhile and didn't know anything about it; the male attendants said "he recalled hearing something but it was so long ago". They went and talked to the first class attendant and came back with a printed manifest. Apparently, no one still knew exactly what to offer, so they just asked 1K members if they knew what they were supposed to get. I certainly did not know, nor did my traveling companion, another 1K sitting a row or two behind me, who also was not interested in anything (we had just come off an international flight where we were fed). Seems as though United needs to do a better job of communicating. I, for one, would find it in somewhat bad taste to ask....sort of a DYKWIA moment.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Last Saturday on the short flight LAS-SFO, the purser followed the 2 FAs pushing the cart collecting thrash and he had his handheld device with him.

He thanked and shook hand with every 1K & GS in coach - of course, we were all served our complimentary snacks & drinks earlier! 👍

Then on Monday for the SFO-PHL flight, the FA handling snack asked to see my 1K card before giving me my snack - I have no issue with that. The guy next to me who is also a 1K was completely unaware of this benefit & he was going to pay for his snack before I stopped him 😎

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.