Wiki Posts
Search

Last Acts as a Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cfischer
refund/change award flights as needed.
As much as I like this benefit, I'm kind of amazed there are no limits on its use (I suppose doing it 1m times might lead to something) . . . surely it clogs up some of their flights in unpredictable ways. That said, happy to take advantage!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
As much as I like this benefit, I'm kind of amazed there are no limits on its use (I suppose doing it 1m times might lead to something) . . .
There was a thread a month or two ago that I cannot find now, but a person was doing just that, making a reward reservation along with paid ticket, and deciding at last minute to have companion come with him or not, so there were a lot of canceled reward tickets.

So yes, I believe they do monitor. I've done even last minute cancellation if there is a NEED (IIRC needed to change date of travel due to family situation, but neither site nor agent could do it), but try to cancel well before if I have to. No need to bring attention to yourself IMHO.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:59 pm
RNE
Original Poster

As much as I like this benefit, I'm kind of amazed there are no limits on its use (I suppose doing it 1m times might lead to something) . . . surely it clogs up some of their flights in unpredictable ways. That said, happy to take advantage!
Methinks it is specious that United monitors our exercising of fee-free changes/cancellations to award bookings—not that I can exercise it anymore myself after January 31.

Still, even as a Gold (subject to a fee), this perk is very useful to me. I have four award bookings scheduled throughout the year. All international savers and—at last count—equal to 5.1¢/mile, if I had to pay for them with cold, hard cash. Not great value, but not bad either. And award bookings' option to refund/re-deposit (even given the fee) is better than buying expensive, refundable tickets.

RNE, hoping United never realizes just how much I—we—value this feature.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:39 pm

In the Big Picture there are many other random things clogging up their flights that scattered award cancellations are a tiny blip. Elimination of this perk would certainly diminish the value of Platinum to nearly nil.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JetAway
In the Big Picture there are many other random things clogging up their flights that scattered award cancellations are a tiny blip. Elimination of this perk would certainly diminish the value of Platinum to nearly nil.
You're probably right it's a blip - one can carry only so many tickets as it's constrained by mileage balance, and I suspect the vast majority of plats infrequently avail themselves of this benefit anyway, although appreciate that it's free when they do cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.