Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2024, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I always take row 2-3 on a CRJ200. I feel the "E+" row 1 is so cramped and/or I can't have my small bag at my feet.
For some reason row 2 and 3 is always "reserved" when I book my flights on the CRJ200 - I'd much prefer seat 2 to 1A...

My experience with DYKWIA is 6 months ago sitting UD going to ICN the FA comes by asking for breakfast orders. It was "noodles or cereal" in this instance (pre-polaris) and I say "noodles" and then the FA turns to the guy next to me and says "would you like the cereal?" Because apparently they only had so many noodles loaded (typical) and I had just gotten the last one. The guy next to me asks "what are the meal options" and FA says "just cereal." Guy sitting next to me made a huge stink about the "horrible food options" and how much he paid for the flight and ended up refusing food - the FA was as professional as possible given the situation... I understand being upset because your food choice isn't there, but no need to freak out about it.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warrenw
For some reason row 2 and 3 is always "reserved" when I book my flights on the CRJ200 - I'd much prefer seat 2 to 1A...
Not to veer OT but I was under the impression that the "reserved" in 2-3 was also for elites even though they don't list it as E+. On plenty of MRY-LAX-MRY flights I've never had an issue selecting those seats at booking.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by the general public
Mans flight is delayed, potential for it to be cancelled. After arguing with United club customer service for awhile about hotels, flights etc he says, "I'm star alliance gold, I am not putting up with this."

How dense are people that they think this matters for anything?
To be fair, United does go out of their way to tout the benefits of the different status levels. You can't blame the kettles (including golds here) for actually believing what they are told by the airline.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I was an upgrade sitting next to somebody that apparently paid for PS from EWR to LAX. The meal choices were lamb or risotto. They ran out of lamb right after me and he was stuck getting risotto. Some grumbling about paying $2000 and not getting his meal choice...

Eventually, as part of a restroom stop, went to the FA and told them to swap my meal with my seatmate; cause I felt bad for the FA having to deal with that guy and I didn't want to hear about it all flight... I was busy watching Fantastic Beasts and didn't want it interrupted by a DWKWIA flyer.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Not to veer OT but I was under the impression that the "reserved" in 2-3 was also for elites even though they don't list it as E+. On plenty of MRY-LAX-MRY flights I've never had an issue selecting those seats at booking.
I'm 1K and haven't been given the option...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmoy210
.... went to the FA and told them to swap my meal with my seatmate; cause I felt bad for the FA having to deal with that guy and I didn't want to hear about it all flight...
Lesson learned by DWKWIA -- being a DWKWIA works.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Battle of the gate lice

My father and I left the red carpet club and headed to the gate to prepare to board. At the gate the lines had started to form for groups 1,2,3,4 and 5. We lined up in a straight line behind the others in the line for group 2.

A man man was standing in the area between the lines for groups 2 and 3. We hadn't noticed him when we lined up. He looks over at me and says, what group are you in in a grumpy tone. I pointed to the sign and said 2. He said, I'm in group 2 and was here before you. I replied, I have no way of knowing what line you are in, you are standing over there between two lines.

He says, "cute, real cute." I told him, "of course you can go ahead of me." I moved back to give space. There were only about 5 people ahead so luggage space in the bins is not an issue. He makes another snarky remark.

I told him, "by kindergarten kids are taught to line up in a straight line. I am letting you go ahead of me. It's not my fault you don't know how to line up." After 3 minutes, "I fly all the time and I know how this works. Sometimes we have to bend the lines to not block the concourse." I said yeah right. There are only few people in each line.

Line 1 boards and we stand for a couple of minutes glaring at each other. Then he looks at his phone and realizes he's been upgraded to 1st. He condescendingly, "oh I got up graded!" I said, "An experience traveler would know that by now. Line 1 has been on the plane for 5 minutes. Go get on the plane, ROOKIE
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by steve4031
My father and I left the red carpet club and headed to the gate to prepare to board....
I guess your father walks slow. They've re-branded the RCCs as United Clubs in the interim...
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Oops, I forgot the new name

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I guess your father walks slow. They've re-branded the RCCs as United Clubs in the interim...
We did enjoy the tomato soup in the United Club.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
I was in a UC in Newark on Monday with my wife and two kids following a transatlantic flight on United from Dublin. That was a passenger who attempted to enter after us who had just arrived on an Air China flight and was complaining very loudly to the agent regarding the fact that he didn't have access. According to him, "it's a shame that a $20,000 ticket doesn't let you enjoy a stale crackers and cheese and cheap wine." He was pretty persistent, asking for a manager several times. He finally relented and presumably bought a better glass of wine and one of the bars downstairs
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
He finally relented and presumably bought a better glass of wine and one of the bars downstairs
He must have really wanted a glass of wine if he bought the bar to get it! That $20,000 ticket is starting to look cheap now.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
I was in a UC in Newark on Monday with my wife and two kids following a transatlantic flight on United from Dublin. That was a passenger who attempted to enter after us who had just arrived on an Air China flight and was complaining very loudly to the agent regarding the fact that he didn't have access. According to him, "it's a shame that a $20,000 ticket doesn't let you enjoy a stale crackers and cheese and cheap wine." He was pretty persistent, asking for a manager several times. He finally relented and presumably bought a better glass of wine and one of the bars downstairs
Odd. Doesn't J fare give you access to Uncle Charlie's?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manstein58
Odd. Doesn't J fare give you access to Uncle Charlie's?
Uncle Charlie's.

I infer he was connecting int'l to domestic, and so regardless of cabin/fare, since he arrived on a non-UA flight he could not visit 'Charlie'.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by fumje
Uncle Charlie's.

I infer he was connecting int'l to domestic, and so regardless of cabin/fare, since he arrived on a non-UA flight he could not visit 'Charlie'.
UA won't give same-day access to people flying on partner airlines?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by brewdog11
UA won't give same-day access to people flying on partner airlines?
It's a bit of a hole in the lounge access rules. Lounges are supposed to be departure facilities, and so your last segment having been in *A J/F has no bearing on the fact that a UA domestic departure is never going to give you access to the lounge.

We tend to forget about it since UA grants an exception to pax who flew longhaul on its own metal, and also to *G (per *A rules).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.