Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingM
…Allow me to reiterate that it is my hope that individuals traveling for business purposes would possess the self-respect and awareness to present themselves in a manner that reflects positively on both themselves and their company.
Sam Bankman-Fried wasn’t indicted for his travel attire or personal grooming skils

When I travel, I have a hard time distinguishing who anyone works for (except for co-workers I traveled with). A person’s choice is their own - you really have no say in how other people travel. You might not like how someone else looks, but that’s your problem, not theirs.

And, yes, I often see other people (not just on planes) and think, “OK, you woke up this morning and decided to leave the house in that get up????” And then, “Whatever…”.

Unless there’s a dress code - it is what it is…
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
... dress code - ..…
Not really the topic for this thread.
UA has no dress code except for those traveling on company benefits (although "indecent" attire can be an issue)
As some pros/cons have been posted and this is purely a personal choice / opinion issue, it is time to return to the thread topic

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 22, 2023, 3:54 pm

Sighted on 11/18. Woman wearing N95 mask barging past and pushing into people standing or walking slowly on the left side of the escalators and moving walkways at ORD B-C connector. People traveling with small children were not exempt. Announced loudly “the left is for walking, the right is for standing.” You’d think she was running to make her flight. Nope — just rushing over to the Polaris lounge to get a table.

I get the theory of stand on the right, walk on the left, but there are no signs saying that, and there are classier ways of getting past than to physically bump into people.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Rude and self-centered behavior. Simple excuse me would have done the job; could also perform the tailgate technique, but that would have been too close to another human being.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jackk763
Sighted on 11/18. Woman wearing N95 mask barging past ...
Is there any particular reason that her mask preference is an issue?

I get the theory of stand on the right, walk on the left, but there are no signs saying that.
There are no signs saying not to push people out of the way either, but they're both pretty universal (outside the UK, Japan, and a few other places where the sides are reversed) and common sense.
SPN Lifer, United747 and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

There are no signs saying not to push people out of the way either, but they're both pretty universal (outside the UK, Japan, and a few other places where the sides are reversed) and common sense.
But it's obnoxious (to say the least) to say it out loud like she's policing it. I would not be so kind if she had said that to me.

Stand on the right and walk on the left is not universal, and there are travelers from all over the world, especially at ORD.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I get the theory of stand on the right, walk on the left, but there are no signs saying that, and there are classier ways of getting past than to physically bump into people.
Actually IME it's mostly stand on the right in the UK as well.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:39 pm

Just trying to give you the visual. Interestingly, she had it off the entire time in the crowded Polaris lounge.

Pushing someone out of your way is a crime, so I think that’s a little different. The London Underground is full of signs saying stand on right, walk on left.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Stand on the right and walk on the left is not universal, and there are travelers from all over the world, especially at ORD.
Not to mention… Chicago is not the best place for bumping into groups of people, including families with small children, and announcing that they’re using the escalator incorrectly. I would love to see her try that on the CTA.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Had a funny one earlier this week on a domestic 4 day trip. While at EWR, I had to pop out to grab some paperwork from the GA just before boarding started. Standing there, literally throwing every combination of the "F" word at the gate agent was a 1K member (or so he claimed) angry about something. I stood there for a second, looked at him, and asked if he was flying to SFO. He confirmed he was. I then turned to the GA and told her to re-accommodate him on another flight, because he WAS not flying with me that day. I honestly thought he was going to punch one of us at that point but to his credit, he simply threw a few F-bombs at us and walked away.

Other than that, it was a smooth trip across the empire. I'm sitting reserve for December, so hopefully, I'll miss the bulk of the holiday craziness.
SFO 1K, Rare, jsloan and 42 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by 757FO
Had a funny one earlier this week on a domestic 4 day trip. While at EWR, I had to pop out to grab some paperwork from the GA just before boarding started. Standing there, literally throwing every combination of the "F" word at the gate agent was a 1K member (or so he claimed) angry about something. I stood there for a second, looked at him, and asked if he was flying to SFO. He confirmed he was. I then turned to the GA and told her to re-accommodate him on another flight, because he WAS not flying with me that day. I honestly thought he was going to punch one of us at that point but to his credit, he simply threw a few F-bombs at us and walked away.

Other than that, it was a smooth trip across the empire. I'm sitting reserve for December, so hopefully, I'll miss the bulk of the holiday craziness.
Out-standing!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 30, 2023 at 8:19 pm
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...and walked away....
One would hope he took the opportunity during his walk to realize that he just made his day less efficient and learned from it......

He'll probably just silence the F-bombing if he sees a pilot w/i hearing range from now on
jsloan, SPN Lifer, 757FO and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere

We have a winner for Post of the Week and it’s only Thursday
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The CA from this morning's CLE-DEN was above average in his passenger interactions -- including doing a PA from the gate explaining why boarding was a bit delayed, profuse and genuine thanks for our business but most relevant for this thread on board he did a PA from the cabin just before doors closed again thanking everyone for business and asking that anyone who would not be able to behave civilly, follow crew member instructions, keep your feet off other passengers seats or do any other odd things to come to the front of the cabin so "we can make alternate arrangements for your transportation before we leave" ... No DWKWIAs observed :-)
SFO 1K, Rare, SPN Lifer and 11 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services

I had the sheer joy of watching this happen first hand. Thank you Captain for doing that. Further, it was a pleasure to meet you, and tour your office.
pseudoswede, Rare, jsloan and 22 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:08 pm

So you’re telling me you’ve never flown with someone from New Jersey?
st3, kirkwoodj, abaheti and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.