Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:44 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
This one's a couple of years old and maybe doesn't fully qualify for DYKWIA, but was still funny and odd.
It was probably one of my last flights of the year, when I made 1K on both miles and segments. Had come from SEA and was connecting in ORD to go to DEN.
I was dressed very casually, wearing jeans, a white t-shirt, and a coat. The GA calls my boarding group, and the lady in front of my turns around to survey the group of people getting ready to board. She looks at me and, with a heavy Russian accent, yells, This is the first class line! They only called first class!".
I look at her and go: "Well, then I guess I am in the right place."
She huffs and puffs, and the guy in a suit next to me and I look at each other, shrug our shoulders, laugh, and continued to board.
That was probably one of my oddest, most random experiences.
wrp96 and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dimramon (Post # 271)
I was dressed very casually, wearing jeans, a white t-shirt, and a coat. The GA calls my boarding group, and the lady in front of [me] turns around to survey the group of people getting ready to board. She looks at me and, with a heavy Russian accent, yells, This is the first class line! They only called first class!".
I look at her and go: "Well, then I guess I am in the right place."
She huffs and puffs, and the guy in a suit next to me and I look at each other, shrug our shoulders, laugh, and continued to board.
This sort of DYKWIA anecdote is why I so enjoy this thread. Comments about ordinary rudeness don't have the same outrageousness or noteworthiness factor.
MBS MillionMiler, jsloan and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Since I'm usually one of the first ones boarding, I usually call out to the FAs when I'm on the last part of the jetway: "Everybody hide, they're coming!" Usually gets a laugh. Might try yours though
I’ve occasionally said at boarding, “You can shut the door now - let’s go!”. I know some of them would like to do exactly that.
SPN Lifer, kirkwoodj and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
if I see an expressive personality in the crew I lead with “ they released me from asylum this week, so I’m traveling with a crazy look on my face. “ usually scores. ….
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I’ve occasionally said at boarding, “You can shut the door now - let’s go!”. ...
Not sure joking is a good idea, many TSA and FA don’t have a sense of humor and/or limited cognitive humor processing.

Originally Posted by JAXPax
… Agent said "Until you find your boarding pass, please step out of the way."….
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
… TSA personnel could also be trained to make fumblers step aside …. Let people through that know what they’re doing!
Originally Posted by JAXPax
… I said "That way. The airplanes are that way."…
It’s passive-aggressive DYKWIA to act as though something you’ve done many times is now being done for the first time.

Originally Posted by jsloan
… IME, the limiting factor is almost always the luggage belt, ….
The limiting factor for boarding, which is borderline DYKWIA, is mobile boarding passes (MBP). Only once in hundreds of flights have I heard a GA advising all those using MBP to turn up their screen brightness. Seems every MBP takes 3-15 seconds longer to scan, multiple that by 100 – 200 people and were talking real time.

Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by exerda
The whole, "I'm in first class!"
I would have immediately turned to her and said "congratulations!".
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:46 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by malgudi
This.

The comment above about cutting in line in front of people who are still emptying their pockets strikes me as a DYWKIA move.
I have seen a dozen or more people backed up in areas where they don't know what to do. At 30 secs a pop, I get to wait six more minutes? ;-) No Thanks.

There is an app for that,,it is called "excuse me", and then I walk by. Do you know who I am? I am the guy not waiting behind slower people.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I have seen a dozen or more people backed up in areas where they don't know what to do. At 30 secs a pop, I get to wait six more minutes? ;-) No Thanks.

There is an app for that,,it is called "excuse me", and then I walk by. Do you know who I am? I am the guy not waiting behind slower people.
thanks fro making this thread possible
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
thanks fro making this thread possible
I don't mind if people move in front of me when I am having trouble getting everything prepped for the tray to go through at TSA. Though I generally try to be pretty efficient.

No need to be impolite, but If you don't learn to sometimes assert yourself, you will never get on - or off - the subway in NYC.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I've been "that person" who belatedly remembered there are water bottles in each of my bags and electronics in each of my pockets or whatever, I myself stand to the side or let others know to please go around.

However, flying on average weekly, I encounter "that person" quite rarely, whether it's myself (thankfully) or others (also, thankfully, I suppose). So I think we're getting a bit hypothetical with the DYKWIA discussion here.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: UAMP
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Not sure joking is a good idea, many TSA and FA don’t have a sense of humor and/or limited cognitive humor processing.
This has gotten me in trouble a few times... I've learned to be a bit more selective with my "jokes".

Glad to know the scientific term
SPN Lifer, uanj and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
This.

The comment above about cutting in line in front of people who are still emptying their pockets strikes me as a DYWKIA move.
I would disagree this as DYKWIA. I often observe multiple open positions for travelers to put the bags onto the belt, except there are always people lined up waiting for someone still working on getting his/her stuff onto the belt; meanwhile multiple positions remain wide open, and long lines have formed behind

If everyone is more like Ryan Bingham from Up In the Air, security wait time would be hugely reduced.
Xyzzy, COSPILOT, United747 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
A year or so back, I had a couple in front of me who were clearly struggling getting their stuff together. I moved in front of them ready to go with my bin.
TSA guy yells at me “HEY no cutting the line!” . I told him I was ready, they weren’t, and he reluctantly and disgustedly waved me through. Guilted me, but I got through.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
A year or so back, I had a couple in front of me who were clearly struggling getting their stuff together. I moved in front of them ready to go with my bin.
TSA guy yells at me “HEY no cutting the line!” . I told him I was ready, they weren’t, and he reluctantly and disgustedly waved me through. Guilted me, but I got through.
When I have this situation I never just cut in front. I let the slow people know I am ready and do they mind if I go ahead. Never been turned down and never a comment from TSA.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Gnopps and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Agree with much of the comments above, I will often POLITELY move ahead of people who need more time all the time and have never had an issue either with the pax or TSA. I commonly see this issue with families traveling with kids and older pax that may have a medical issue or metal prosthetics. In fact I have had TSA even ask or direct me to step ahead in certain situations.
SPN Lifer, abaheti and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by nomad420
Agree with much of the comments above, I will often POLITELY move ahead of people who need more time all the time and have never had an issue either with the pax or TSA. I commonly see this issue with families traveling with kids and older pax that may have a medical issue or metal prosthetics. In fact I have had TSA even ask or direct me to step ahead in certain situations.
Compare that to the treatment you get in EWR -- where people TSA literally just scream at passengers non-stop - and if there is a free slot anywhere everyone goes for it like the Hunger Games with reckless disregard for who or what they mow down...

It's not always like that -- but at peak times it can get really combative...
tcdtcd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.