Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Is there a disadvantage to booking an award as two one-ways instead of a round trip, in case I decide to only take one of the directions and drive the other way?
If you are 1K as your profile indicates, the only disadvantage I can see is not being able to book a stopover.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k
At day of departure from Lax-Mel, I have purchased an upgrade to first in Oct. Miles+coop pay, the upgrade list has 2 people ahead of me, should I not expect to be #1 on the list?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:35 pm

Total Newbie

Can I book first class flights using my chase UR points? I have a few United points but not enough to book 2 first class tickets. I poked around but couldn't find where the flights were anything but economy class on Chase.

Is there any paid upgrade where I could pay after I book the economy flights?

Thanks for any help you can provide as I'm new to this...
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Maximilion
At day of departure from Lax-Mel, I have purchased an upgrade to first in Oct. Miles+coop pay, the upgrade list has 2 people ahead of me, should I not expect to be #1 on the list?
Your profile does not list your status. That may have to do with why you are not #1, as well fare paid by other customers. Too many unknowns.

As IIRC this is a 787, so no Int'l First, only BizFirst.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Why would you expect to be #1?

Originally Posted by kaysmom
Can I book first class flights using my chase UR points? I have a few United points but not enough to book 2 first class tickets. I poked around but couldn't find where the flights were anything but economy class on Chase.

Is there any paid upgrade where I could pay after I book the economy flights?

Thanks for any help you can provide as I'm new to this...
If you have a Sapphire Preferred you can transfer the points to UA on 1:1 basis. I'm not familiar with the option to book directly with Chase though. If you book an award ticket in Y, you may be offered an option to buy up with cash when you check in, but this is not guaranteed.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Can I book first class flights using my chase UR points? I have a few United points but not enough to book 2 first class tickets. I poked around but couldn't find where the flights were anything but economy class on Chase. ...
You may not have enough UR points for the First Class flights you are looking at.

You can move your UR points to UA MP (BUT WARNING you can not move them back to Chase UR) and then look for desired flights.

... Is there any paid upgrade where I could pay after I book the economy flights? ...
yes potentially -- the points / mileage flights are more limited on that option.

Unfortunately there are a lot if, when, may be, perhaps, ..... to this broad of a question. If you provide some more details, the answers could be more specific.

Where do you want to fly? When?
Roughly how many miles @ UA and points @ Chase UR do you have?
Is economy acceptable or only if you can get premium cabin seats?
How many passengers?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:38 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
It's likely they have a higher status than you and therefore have a higher priority.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
How long should it take for *A flights with 016 stock to post? I ask because I flew NZ 6 days ago (AKL-SYD) on 016 stock and it hasn't posted. Yet I flew ZQN-WLG on NZ metal, on NZ stock, and that posted to my MP account in 2-3 days. I called the Premier hotline and was told it will take at least 15 days.

Is that correct?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
How long should it take for *A flights with 016 stock to post? I ask because I flew NZ 6 days ago (AKL-SYD) on 016 stock and it hasn't posted. Yet I flew ZQN-WLG on NZ metal, on NZ stock, and that posted to my MP account in 2-3 days. I called the Premier hotline and was told it will take at least 15 days.

Is that correct?
They should post in 3-5 days BUT UA will not initiate an investigation until 15 days. The online tool will refuse the input.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...p-account.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6-edition.html
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G
Hi,

I just booked a flight on united BNA > PHL round trip and I see the initial flight is with united and the return flight is american airlines. Booked it through the united site but found the flight on google flights. Is this a common thing, to have united and american on the same ticket? I don't think they are code share partners. Just curious as I hadn't seen that before.

Thnx.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It would be unusual for them to market it outright, but it's not uncommon for a travel agency (or search tool in the case of Google Flights) to plate that on a single ticket. A little weird it could be booked directly with UA but I think I've seen it before.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 6:58 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by findark
It would be unusual for them to market it outright, but it's not uncommon for a travel agency (or search tool in the case of Google Flights) to plate that on a single ticket. A little weird it could be booked directly with UA but I think I've seen it before.
You can even book a AA- or DL-only ticket on 016 with .bomb. Earns no PQM/PQD though, and will get you some weird looks along the way.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Just noticed that when I look at my original e-ticket receipt that was e-mailed to me and compare it to the receipt when I pull up my itinerary, the "airfare" is now considerably lower and the difference is buried in the fees section under "international surcharge".
What is United trying to pull here?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by ok2uselane
Just noticed that when I look at my original e-ticket receipt that was e-mailed to me and compare it to the receipt when I pull up my itinerary, the "airfare" is now considerably lower and the difference is buried in the fees section under "international surcharge".
What is United trying to pull here?
Nothing -- it has to with details in how air fares are filed with governments but it means nothing to the consumer.

You will get the same PQDs and award miles.

At one time this was a variable amount related to fuel costs (believe it started around the 1970's fuel crisis). But that changed a longtime ago and was relabeled "international surcharge" instead of "fuel surcharge."
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At one time this was a variable amount related to fuel costs (believe it started around the 1970's fuel crisis).
It couldn't have happened that early, as airline deregulation didn't happen until 1978. As I recall, YQ surcharges are much more recent than that - less than ten years old. And it's incredibly ridiculous that airlines still charge it with fuel prices where they are now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.