Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Old Jan 5, 2016, 5:37 am

This is a newbie question, but I don't fly UA much.

I want to fly round trip using award miles over next winter break, but since I don't want the outbound award seats to go away (high season), I want to book the outbound when it opens up, as a one-way, and the return also as a one-way when it opens up.

Am I correct that this means that, if I need to have the miles reinstated, I am on the hook for $400 rather than the $200 they would charge if I had waited and booked a round-trip all at once?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I want to fly round trip using award miles over next winter break, but since I don't want the outbound award seats to go away (high season), I want to book the outbound when it opens up, as a one-way, and the return also as a one-way when it opens up.

Am I correct that this means that, if I need to have the miles reinstated, I am on the hook for $400 rather than the $200 they would charge if I had waited and booked a round-trip all at once?
Yes. Booking two one-ways is a risky strategy if you don't have UA status for exactly that reason.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I have purchased a BF upgrade along with my booking ( coop pay + miles ) but have not cleared 2 days before departure LAX-MEL, I am Premier Gold.

BF has 4 seats left but the upgrade list is empty, shouldn't my name be on there?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:52 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Maximilion
I have purchased a BF upgrade along with my booking ( coop pay + miles ) but have not cleared 2 days before departure LAX-MEL, I am Premier Gold.

BF has 4 seats left but the upgrade list is empty, shouldn't my name be on there?
You'll only appear on the publicly visible upgrade list once you're checked in at at most 24h before your flight. Until then, you're on an invisible private waitlist.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by helvetic
You'll only appear on the publicly visible upgrade list once you're checked in at at most 24h before your flight. Until then, you're on an invisible private waitlist.
Thanks for the answer.

Am i edible for international CPU being gold? if so, how do i know if my coop pay +miles upgraded me or a CPU?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Maximilion
... Am i edible for international CPU being gold? ...
Most international routes (outside of North America) are not eligible for CPU, such as flights to MEL.

See chart for CPU eligibility
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Like many people, I have to buy economy fares for work, but sometimes the price differential to first is small enough that I'd happily pay the difference myself (especially now with the increased PQM). Yet, when I book economy and then try to buy up to first after the fact the cost is much higher. For example, I booked a trip just now that was RT in economy for $309. First (A) was available for $668. After I booked, I was offered the chance to upgrade for $800 (or $1109 total). I also think that the upgrade doesn't always book into a new class, so I'd pay more and not have the double PQMs. Is that right?

Is there a way to call in and pay the difference? There are often times when I would do this, and I suspect that others would too. It would be great if your could easily do this at booking.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MCLC
Is there a way to call in and pay the difference?
Yes, just call and tell the agent you want to upfare to the cheapest available front cabin fare. Assuming the inventory hasn't changed, you should get the price you saw for that A fare initially. Make sure you do this within 24 hours of ticketing, otherwise you may have to pay a change fee.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, just call and tell the agent you want to upfare to the cheapest available front cabin fare. Assuming the inventory hasn't changed, you should get the price you saw for that A fare initially. Make sure you do this within 24 hours of ticketing, otherwise you may have to pay a change fee.
Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:49 pm

Newbie question. I've recently seen multiple GF seats on long haul int'l flights open and available up until just before the flight boards, and then all of the seats in the GF cabin are full by the time the doors close.

So, is United CPU'ing from BF to GF for unfilled seats at the last minute, even though it's int'l outside CPU regions or are all of those seats (witnessed it on 4-5 flights to PEK & NRT) passengers who've applied vouchers and they only clear at the last minute?

Thanks,
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:58 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by SeamStalker
Newbie question. I've recently seen multiple GF seats on long haul int'l flights open and available up until just before the flight boards, and then all of the seats in the GF cabin are full by the time the doors close.

So, is United CPU'ing from BF to GF for unfilled seats at the last minute, even though it's int'l outside CPU regions or are all of those seats (witnessed it on 4-5 flights to PEK & NRT) passengers who've applied vouchers and they only clear at the last minute?

Thanks,
UA will process Operational Upgrades when the lower cabins are oversold. So, in order to make room in Y, they'll bump up elites to J, and to make room in J, they'll bump up paid J elites to F.

They'll also give unsold F seats to non-revenue employees.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Almost certainly NRSAs (UA employees on personal travel) who are cleared from standby.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've recently seen multiple GF seats on long haul int'l flights open and available up until just before the flight boards, and then all of the seats in the GF cabin are full by the time the doors close.
Originally Posted by helvetic
UA will process Operational Upgrades when the lower cabins are oversold. So, in order to make room in Y, they'll bump up elites to J, and to make room in J, they'll bump up paid J elites to F.

They'll also give unsold F seats to non-revenue employees.
The last would be my bet, though I've seen plenty of flights go out with GF with open seats. Biz, normally, not so much.

Also, UA holds back upgrades, though I believe that's mostly Y to J. I've received several upgrades at the gate, including 1 (yes, only one) Op Up.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Almost certainly NRSAs (UA employees on personal travel) who are cleared from standby.
Absolutely. If they are clearing into GF at the gate, they are almost certainly NRSA.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Absolutely. If they are clearing into GF at the gate, they are almost certainly NRSA.
Another indication is they are on both the BF and GF upgrade lists and the standby list. That is about a sure indication they are NRSA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.