Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to the 2015's threads:

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
My partner and I both have enough points for an award TPAC from SYD and onto a mid west USA destination (3 legs each way).
I assume that we have to each book separately and will be on different PNRs.
So I guess we sit down together on separate computers and book our flights and seating simultaneously.
Is it possible that there could be only one award seat left on the itinerary we are booking and that one of us could end up on other flights to our final destination?

Last edited by grapegrower; Jan 3, 2016 at 3:01 pm Reason: spelling!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by grapegrower
My partner and I both have enough points for an award TPAC from SYD and onto a mid west USA destination (3 legs each way).
I assume that we have to each book separately and will be on different PNRs.
So I guess we sit down together on separate computers and book our flights and seating simultaneously.
Is it possible that there could be only one award seat left on the itinerary we are booking and that one of us could end up on other flights to our final destination?
Yes possible but easy to avoid.

First check if multiple seats are available by doing an award search for 2 or more seats on a single PNR. Once determined 2 or more seats exist then quickly book the two separate PNRs. If the second fails you can cancel the first for free in the first twenty-four hours.

Also you can call and have the two separate tickets booked but there will be a fee.

There is a way to get more specific info on the number of seats available, called Expert Mode but it takes a bit of learning time and the above will probably work 95+% of the time.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Flight that is 260 miles distant: For PQM purposes, as a premier I get minimum 500 PQM. If I purchase class A/C/D/Z/P I get 200% PQM. So does that mean I get 1000 PQM (2x minimum 500) or 520 PQM (2x 260 distance)?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:48 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by miasmal
Flight that is 260 miles distant: For PQM purposes, as a premier I get minimum 500 PQM. If I purchase class A/C/D/Z/P I get 200% PQM. So does that mean I get 1000 PQM (2x minimum 500) or 520 PQM (2x 260 distance)?
200% minimum. You'll get 1000 PQM.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016]

I'm currently a Silver member, and I am planning on hitting Gold soon. If for any reason I need to use the lounge and they ask my card, would showing my Silver card for them to input my MP number on the system work while I wait for my Gold card to arrive? I know that some of the lounge dragons do want a physical card.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:54 pm

I took a redeye flight into Newark this morning, and have a flight going to Delhi tonight. All of this was on the same itinerary - does this mean my bag is going straight to Delhi correct?

The bag was ticketed to go straight to Delhi but should I worry about it floating around Newark for 12 hours or someone having expected me to pick it up and re-check it in? I've been told multiple things (one agent told me you have to re-check in bags if you have more than a 4 hour layover, another agent said if it is more than 12 hour layover). Just hoping my clothes make it there with me.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by TheAJ
I took a redeye flight into Newark this morning, and have a flight going to Delhi tonight. All of this was on the same itinerary - does this mean my bag is going straight to Delhi correct?

The bag was ticketed to go straight to Delhi but should I worry about it floating around Newark for 12 hours or someone having expected me to pick it up and re-check it in? I've been told multiple things (one agent told me you have to re-check in bags if you have more than a 4 hour layover, another agent said if it is more than 12 hour layover). Just hoping my clothes make it there with me.
If you have your stub, it should have all the information in there. I believe you need to re-check them if the layover is longer than 13 hours. Otherwise, you should be fine.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
I'm currently a Silver member, and I am planning on hitting Gold soon. If for any reason I need to use the lounge and they ask my card, would showing my Silver card for them to input my MP number on the system work while I wait for my Gold card to arrive? I know that some of the lounge dragons do want a physical card.
As *G you get access on Int't flights. Domestic only if you are connecting to a *A Int'l flight.

Most of the time I just show my BP to UC gatekeepers, they scan it and let me in (as long as my MP # is on it)

One time my # was not on the ticket on a reward flight, and I had to produce my card in FRA. NEVER had that problem with TG.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:06 pm Reason: had that
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Doubtful the Silver card will do anything due to lack of the *G symbol on the Silver Card. Your BP status designation is the best chance until you get the Gold card.

Originally Posted by TheAJ

UA's stated policy is
Connecting Flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. United will transfer bags to a connecting flight on your United itinerary, or on a separate itinerary that includes a Star AllianceTM partner airline flight, if the connecting flight is scheduled to depart within 13 hours after arriving at the connection city.

You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:

Making a voluntary stopover
Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Some have had success getting the bags checked thru even with an overnight, if you bag tags are for DEL, then sounds like you were successful in checking thru
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:56 pm

I don't take many flights and don't want to lose my miles. Will ANY addition of miles to my account save ALL the miles in there? For example, if I have 50k in my account about to expire, can I purchase $1 Amazon GC from the MileagePlus X app, have 2 miles added to my account, and then be good? If so, how much longer would I then have?

Also, I plan on taking a ski trip soon. I have a bag for my boots with a center compartment. I keep my helmet and other misc .... in there. The bag fully packed plus skis doesn't weigh over 50 pounds. Leaving from New York last year (before I had the credit card) asked me if the only thing I had in there were boots. I told them no I had a helmet and a shirt in there as well (among other things). They said in the future the only thing allowed in the bag would be boots. Coming back from Denver however they didn't {seem to care} and didn't even ask. Do you know how strict they are with this policy these days? Will they care less because I have the credit card?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2016 at 8:18 pm Reason: inappropirate language
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by killerz298
I don't take many flights and don't want to lose my miles. Will ANY addition of miles to my account save ALL the miles in there? For example, if I have 50k in my account about to expire, can I purchase $1 Amazon GC from the MileagePlus X app, have 2 miles added to my account, and then be good? If so, how much longer would I then have?
Correct. Any account activity which changes your mileage balance (including redemptions and donations) will refresh all of your miles for another 18 months.

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread [Merged]
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:28 pm

.... Also, I plan on taking a ski trip soon. I have a bag for my boots with a center compartment. I keep my helmet and other misc .... in there. The bag fully packed plus skis doesn't weigh over 50 pounds. Leaving from New York last year (before I had the credit card) asked me if the only thing I had in there were boots. I told them no I had a helmet and a shirt in there as well (among other things). They said in the future the only thing allowed in the bag would be boots. Coming back from Denver however they didn't {seem to care} and didn't even ask. Do you know how strict they are with this policy these days? Will they care less because I have the credit card?
A general UA policy of sports equipment is the equipment gets the waiver (skis plus boots count as a single item) but if you try to put other things in the same container, it can lose the sports equipment waiver. Enforcement will vary as you have learned.

The card credit will be meaningless in this context.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
A general UA policy of sports equipment is the equipment gets the waiver (skis plus boots count as a single item) but if you try to put other things in the same container, it can lose the sports equipment waiver. Enforcement will vary as you have learned.

The card credit will be meaningless in this context.
I mean, the .... is still under 50 pounds... and I'm paying for a bag. Why they gotta be jerks about it??? So far I've had good luck and only 1 "warning."

Last edited by goalie; Jan 4, 2016 at 9:03 pm Reason: Replaced offensive term
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Why they gotta be jerks about it?
They make the rules, and you can choose to fly with them or someone else. Of course, if you use that description when talking with them, I'm sure the decision about whether you'll be allowed to fly United will quickly be made for you...

Last edited by goalie; Jan 4, 2016 at 9:04 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No free meal in any domestic economy flight -- Buy on Board.

The meal readout in itins is buggy and while I have not seen this glitch, it can be in error at other times. Highly likely the mixed award situation as the coding confused.

So no meal in economy, even on a mixed award.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...my/dining.aspx
Thanks for answering my question!

United's reservations support confirmed your understanding of the issue, saying:

The food-for-purchase menu has replaced complimentary meals and snacks in the economy cabin on select routes. We continue to offer complimentary food in the economy cabin on certain international routes. Complimentary food service will be served in United First, United Business, United BusinessFirst, and United Global First. Non-alcoholic beverages will still be complimentary.

Food-for-purchase will be offered on UA 1146 and a complimentary dinner will be offered on UA 1851.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.