Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
For me it comes down to being served something that is literally impossible to eat. In this case I think it showed genuine contempt on the part of the FA.
Really? Genuine contempt????
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:55 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Haha, I actually much prefer the sorbet -- when it's not frozen solid. My last SFO>BOS transcon had the worst imaginable FA in F, angry, snide, and contemptuous. When I got my lemon sorbet and jokingly noted that it made a sound not unlike stainless steel when I rapped it with my spoon, he looked at me and hissed "YES. You'll have to wait for it to thaw out." He then stomped off.

That's interesting, I have actually had numerous FA's suggest they could put it or the hard ice cream in the oven for a minute or two to soften it up. Very nice of them to do this I might add.^
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
Anyone flown west coast to HNL recently in first? I flew SAN>IAD last month in first and while the meal was quite tasty, I was slightly sad to learn that what I thought was going to be ice cream was actually lemon sorbet.

Next week I fly LAX>HNL, and I'm so hoping for a proper ice cream sundae. There's something about being on an airplane that makes vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup one of the most delicious things on (or above) earth.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Yesterday's HNL-EWR dessert was raspberry sorbet. Can't imagine LAX-HNL will have a sundae.
Originally Posted by findark
I've had the sundae (sometimes with chocolate chip ice cream) seemingly randomly on non-p.s. transcons, although it's more frequently been sorbets of varying flavors. I'm not sure the type of frozen dessert is deterministic.
The full sundae is only served in international BF/GF and ps flights. Otherwise, sorbet is served with lunch flights (departure before 4pm) and ice cream with 2 toppings is served with dinner flights. That is, if everything is properly catered.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Really? Genuine contempt????
TBH, yes. It was a very strange feeling. A couple of us in F shared raised eyebrows whenever he barked orders at us.

We'd experienced a 3+ hour delay, but it still didn't explain his attitude.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
The full sundae is only served in international BF/GF and ps flights. Otherwise, sorbet is served with lunch flights (departure before 4pm) and ice cream with 2 toppings is served with dinner flights. That is, if everything is properly catered.
Oh, huh... that actually makes sense. Hard to stop and remember that a flight which lands at midnight served "lunch" Even the crew asked us what we wanted for dinner.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification. At least now I know what to expect. I will cross my fingers for any flavor other than lemon.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
... I will cross my fingers for any flavor other than lemon.
My favorite -- which proves "you can not please everyone all the time."
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
My favorite -- which proves "you can not please everyone all the time."
True. But as I am human, I'm really only concerned with my own pleasure.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
UA323 PHL-DEN
First Class
B737-800
June 18, 2016

Breakfast

Choice of quiche or french toast soufflé. Served with yogurt, fruit, and choice of fresh baked cinnamon roll or biscuit. The soufflé was very good - one of the best inflight breakfast entrees I've had in a very long time.

Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I absolutely LOATHE lemon sorbet. When it's offered, I offer back a "Hell no, it's terrible", and downgrade my food rating on the post flight survey. Not a dessert, but a punishment.
What a ridiculous response. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean many others do. No reason to downgrade a rating because it's not your liking.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
What a ridiculous response. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean many others do. No reason to downgrade a rating because it's not your liking.
Why not? Isn't that what (subjective) ratings are for?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA497 EWR-SFO
6/15/2016
Breakfast

Menu for the morning's flight (7:45 AM) out to SFO on an sUA p.s. 752. Nothing terribly interesting, although the concept of 'grilled ham' served with waffles was a bit eyebrow-raising.

Fruit plate to start, with the sugar bomb yogurt. Passable / nothing to write home about.

For the pastry/bread, I went with a biscuit. Very warm and soft - worked excellent with strawberry jam. Was a fan of having this choice - usually ends up being a cinnamon roll or a croissant.

The quiche was pretty solid. Not super-flavorful but filling enough. The sausage was a bit overcooked - had a bit of a chewy, rubbery texture to it, but it was okay. The potatoes/yams were pretty generic.

Cookie as we descended - warmed up exactly the right amount.

UA1729 LAX-EWR
6/17/2016
Lunch

Flew the sUA Dreamliner back, so was pretty stoked to be on this flight. The FA crew was definitely top-notch as well, keeping my wine glass filled the entire time we were in the air.

Pretty solid choices all around for the menu. I went with the steak, even though I have had some mediocre experiences in the past.

Nuts and wine to start...eschewed my normal Goose IPA on this flight.

Salad plate + appetizer. The smoked duck was quite good - enjoyed the flavor on that a lot. Salad was pretty standard. The bread choices - I was surprised not to see a plain ciabatta roll, but the one I got (which had some seeds/grains in it) was pretty much the same.

This time around, the steak turned out quite well - not overcooked, and the chimichurri sauce really worked out well in giving the meat a nice herbal flavor. The sweet potatoes were okay (I'd rather have had plain mashed potatoes if I could choose). I was indifferent to the white beans.

The only bad part about meal service was the sundae - the ice cream was more than half-melted by the time I got it! I've had problems with the ice cream being too frozen, but this is the first time it was just about a veritable milkshake when served. Not sure how that ended up happening.

We got the cookie quite late - we had already descended a good amount, and I thought that they had forgotten about it. Turned out its usual tasty self.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA357 DEN-PIT
First Class
B737-900
June 21, 2016
Sched: 8:05 PM - 1:07 AM +1
Actual: ~9:00 PM - 1:45 AM +1 (missing flight crew)

Snack basket. Which I think is a disgrace, and told UA so in the post flight survey. Yes, that is how they plan it, but coming off of another snack flight and with tight connections makes it tough to get a half decent meal. For the record, I had pretzels and smoked almonds.

UA773 PIT-DEN
First Class
B737-900
June 24, 2016

Breakfast.
Choices were the French toast with fruit and yogurt or quiche with sausage. I had the French toast and it is very, very good. I was also surprised at the size of the fruit plate.

Flight attendant service was outstanding.

Perhaps this should be in another thread, but the first class seats on these 737-900's are terrible. They are at the their worst when fully upright, but still very uncomfortable in any other position. No seatback screens, but the entertainment over wireless worked well.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Have been on a bunch of LAX/SFO-EWR PS flights this year, and yesterday for the first time there was the Sky Snacks basket of chips, crackers, sweets, fruit put out on the counter in front of 1B for self service after the ice cream sundaes were finished. I suspect this was just a positive miscatering by the food truck?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:53 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
heck yeah i'm post 420
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I've had problems with the ice cream being too frozen, but this is the first time it was just about a veritable milkshake when served. Not sure how that ended up happening.

because it melted?

iah yyc
late june

pdb of a moscow mule double vodka

acting in charge (turns out this is first time "in as long as i can remember in my 12 years" she was forced to work as an in charge) came and took meal order and first drink before door closed and based on status. options pasta ravioli or some sorta chickin

pasta was meh, while not bad i could def make something way better

although i thought i smelled it, there were no cookies, only choc sundaes, perfect consistency even though fas had to sit down for ~20 mins while prepping the sundaes

had a great flight even though 739 seats are extremely uncomfortable and the streaming plugin would not install on my computer

Last edited by cur; Jun 27, 2016 at 6:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.