Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by physioprof
At least on the ps flights they serve little bottles of real olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. You can see the little square bottle in the picture of ps service in the above post.
Well that's good news for serving that, instead of that disgusting oily lemonade concoction I've had on other flights.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:23 am

Sorry that I cannot find the right thread to post the comments for a domestic FC, IAD IAH. I was using RPUs for IAH ATL IAD IAH. On all 3 flights, no hot towel.
The breakfast omelet was runny, and the corn/sweet potatoe concortion was so salty that we left it untouched with the way too spicy sausages.
Hate to think that this would be the second meal choice on international flights.
Is this just the quality control thing of IAD catering ?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
UA 1705
IAH-LGA
8/21

With an 8:20 am departure time, open bar PDBs were offered. Choice of breakfast was either the french toast souffle, or quiche florentine (?) with sausage. Food was delicious and I enjoyed the warm cinnamon bun

Fantastic service as well from the purser the whole flight. She was super friendly and brought around drink refills proactively.

Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
UA 1705
IAH-LGA
8/21

With an 8:20 am departure time, open bar PDBs were offered. Choice of breakfast was either the french toast souffle, or quiche florentine (?) with sausage. Food was delicious and I enjoyed the warm cinnamon bun

Fantastic service as well from the purser the whole flight. She was super friendly and brought around drink refills proactively.

[img]
Is that in one of the new F seats? I still have yet to catch one.

BTW, one of your strawberries looks crimped.

edit:
Originally Posted by physioprof
At least on the ps flights they serve little bottles of real olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. You can see the little square bottle in the picture of ps service in the above post.
IIRC that's actually lemon 'vinaigrette' (lemon juice+oil); don't know why that doesn't become the standard. It can't cost that many cents.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:26 pm

I asked a good friend of mine who manages a flight kitchen at LAX.

While his flight kitchen does not cater the US3, he said most likely UNITED purchased the tub (my word not his) dressings in bulk and distributed them to the various flight kitchens throughout the system.

He said to have the flight kitchen make the dressing is surprisingly expensive, it is even surprisingly expensive to have the local flight kitchen take a premade dressing, transfer it to a container,load it in a galley cart and board it on the airplane.

The corporate chefs at UNITED probably created the salad with a certain flavor profile in mind and some bean counter said, woah find another way to accomplish the flavor profile and the chef found a tub dressing for much less.

Not an excuse for UNITED being cheap, merely a potential explanation.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
SFO -> EWR
UA 233
21 Aug 16

Decided to catch an earlier flight than my originally scheduled afternoon departure. Most assuredly a beautiful and fun wedding the evening prior prompted the decision to put some hair on the dog.

Any-who, crew was fantastic. PDB service and warm towel provided. I like the idea of an Olympic commemorative memento, the little tins that UA provides are pretty weak though. Odd that the itinerary indicated lunch, this was a breakfast service.

I went with the omelette which was really enjoyable and just what I needed, lol.

Cinnamon bun was promptly consumed.

To end the great flight, we on the port side of the AC were treated to the NYC sky-line; starboard got, well, north Jersey. Oh, and the always delicious triple chunk cookie; I love those things!

Of course, no experience can be perfect with UA. My checked bag didn't make the flight despite dropping it off 45 minutes prior to boarding, business class ticket, and no connection. What is more, EWR was a total mess when we landed because of the weather. This flight proved again, that UA can offer a really nice in-flight service, but ground ops continue to be subpar.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
EWR - MEX
UA 1065
737-700
17 Aug 2016

Much to my surprise, a menu was distributed:

According to the menu, it's the same meal choice for EWR-BOG/LIR/PTY/SJO, IAH-BOG/CCS/UIO, DEN-LIR/PTY/SJO, and IAD-SJO for the month of August 2016. Spanish menu on the back.

The FA bounced the cabin, presumably taking orders from GS and 1K, then front to back.

I chose the chicken with the coconut sauce. The meal was served by tray.

Bread was offered from the bread basket. Wine selections were a sauvignon blanc and syrah. They were both pretty good.

The cheesecake was served after the tray was cleared. There was not much "bruleeing" on the cheesecake.

No mid-flight snack basket or cookies made onboard.

MEX - EWR
UA 1064
737-800
19 Aug 2016

No menu this time. The 3 choices were beef shortrib with vegetables, chicken with rice, and pasta.

The FA did an express service by serving the nuts with the meal, and no choice of bread. That bowl of nuts confused many passengers. I ended up adding some nuts to my salad, which was not bad.

After clearing the trays, the FA brought over the mystery dessert. In fact, that's all she said. "Dessert?"

It was some type of berry-like tart with chocolate shavings on top. Not my favorite.

No snack basket or cookies.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Sorry that these are a little delayed

IAD-SFO
Domestic 777
7/21/2016

PDB of the Glenfarclas (nice to have a single malt again)

Salad

Beef Short Rib with Asian Sauce and Spanish rice

- Beef was a bit tough but over all good. Rice had good flavor and the zuchinni was also good. Other options were ravioli and a chicken option

Desert - chocolate ice cream

-was nice to have something other than vanilla ice cream and toppings. The chocolate was delicious

The meal taste was good but wasn't super impressed with my meal options on this trip.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
SFO-IAD
737-900
Jul 23, 2016

PBD offered

Salad was a traditional mixed green salad with vinaigrette dressing. Sorry but forgot to take a pic

Main meal options were chicken curry; ravioli and I can't remember the third option. I choose the chicken and it was quite tasty but the curry was mild

Desert was cookies n' cream ice cream. Again, nice to have something other than just vanilla as an option.

Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Interesting that different flavors of ice cream are appearing instead of ...... frozen sorbet.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
Is that in one of the new F seats? I still have yet to catch one.
Nope, still old F (still pretty comfy) on the A320. I haven't seen new F either. I just positioned the tray so that my iPad leaned up against the back of the seat and I could watch my movie while I ate.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The FA did an express service by serving the nuts with the meal, and no choice of bread.
. . . and disappeared into the galley right after dessert, never to be seen again?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
. . . and disappeared into the galley right after dessert, never to be seen again?
Had this happen my last two flights - both included the "express" nuts served with dinner, and the second flight included no cookie even though I could smell them baking for what seemed like 10-20 minutes.

No refills after dinner. As others say, UA is great at being consistently inconsistent.

The lack of cookies on the second flight puzzles me too - where did they go? The FA's took them for their hotel room snack?

FWIW, both flights had zero turbulence and seat belt sign off the entire time we were cruising, so can't use that as an excuse.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
LAS to ORD lunch

Date: 8/23
LAS - ORD
UA 1989 departing at 12:35 PM
B757-300

Easy upgrade on this elite-lite route.
Choice was salad with salmon on the side, or chicken with rice and veggies on the side.
Salmon was very dry.
Service was ok, even taking into consideration that the FA spilled white wine on me.

Chocolate chip cookies passed out later. Delicious as always.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
DTW-EWR E175 8/24/16

I realize this flight was UAEX. The Amenities section of the flight status page says "Light Snack" for FC on this flight. That consisted of a basket offered by the FA with a few bags of pretzels, several cookies, and a bag of chips to choose from. Even a fruit/nut/protein bar or something that wasn't all carbs would have been nice for a 2 hour flight departing at 6:30pm. What happened to the snack boxes they used to have on the E170's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.