Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If on a UA ticket but the first flight is a codeshare and/or partner operated flight, you check-in for boarding pass and bags with the operator of the first flight, not UA. This may mean going to a different terminal.
If doing online check-in, you may need the partner's PNR identifier, Record Locator / PNR of Star Partners on UA purchased Itineraries
Note -- The UA PNR should work for LH Group airlines and some others

Bag allowance can be tricky
-- UA unique elite bag waiver privileges will generally not apply.For *G elites, checking with a *A, your *G bag allowance of
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
-- If the original or destination is in the USA, the DoT rules apply. In other cases, the IATA Most Significant Carrier rules apply.
  • DoT rules state the marketing carrier of the first segment determines the bag fees for the entire itinerary. So if a UA codeshare, it is UA rules. While *A elite benefits may apply, UA unique elite privileges will not

While initially, the UA BP will not show up on the app, it will later. Once the non-UA flights have been flown / boarded (in technical terms, their segment coupons have been lifted.)

Archive: Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bags? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I've got a HKG-NRT-YVR/(stopover)/YVR-LAX marketed and operated by HX, AC, and UA respectively; all flights are on one PNR and booked through United(.com)

The UA website is saying I have 2 free checked bags, however AC's website allow one. What rules apply here? IATA MSC (i.e AC and therefore 1 bag), DOT (since LAX is the 'final destination') or united.com since they were my ticketing agent?
Per the DOT rules, the marketer of the first flight determines the Bag rules unless they defer to the MSC (their choice)
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I've got a HKG-NRT-YVR/(stopover)/YVR-LAX marketed and operated by HX, AC, and UA respectively; all flights are on one PNR and booked through United(.com)

The UA website is saying I have 2 free checked bags, however AC's website allow one. What rules apply here? IATA MSC (i.e AC and therefore 1 bag), DOT (since LAX is the 'final destination') or united.com since they were my ticketing agent?
What does UA's ticket say? The website may add other things such as status or credit card ... the ticket should show the ticketed allowance which carriers should adhere to.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Checking in: OPO>FRA (Lufthansa) and FRA>DEN (United)

Booked through United, all on the same itin. I can check into the Lufthansa flight and get boarding passes but neither the LH nor UA app will let me check into the United-operated flight that’s within 24 hours.

United CS says I will have to wait until the Lufthansa flight ends before I can check in to the United flight… and that I can do so online or at FRA. Does this sound right? Will there be a United kiosk or agent at FRA in case the app check-in doesn’t work?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDtoAnywhere
Booked through United, all on the same itin. I can check into the Lufthansa flight and get boarding passes but neither the LH nor UA app will let me check into the United-operated flight that’s within 24 hours.

United CS says I will have to wait until the Lufthansa flight ends before I can check in to the United flight… and that I can do so online or at FRA. Does this sound right? Will there be a United kiosk or agent at FRA in case the app check-in doesn’t work?

Thanks!
The CS agent is correct. I would give UA App 99.9% confidence in doing the job.
The first flight is on LH; you can try on its App or website for checkin.
Good luck.
ORDtoAnywhere likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Thanks!
I thought it was once the Lufthansa flight takes off, but I may be mistaken on that.

And yes, if you run into issues, there will be staff at FRA to assist. The gate agent should be fine for that. No need to seek out a special agent.
SPN Lifer and drewguy like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:37 am

Thanks everyone. One last question… when dropping off bags at OPO in the morning, will I be able to check them all the way through to DEN? Presumably I’d need to be checked into FRA-DEN for the bag to be loaded.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
I've had this happen quite a few times. Usually it's due to United needing to confirm your passport. For me once I dropped off bags in the morning I would get my second boarding pass (paper one) and shortly after I would see myself checked in on the app. You should be able to figure that out if you go to the travel ready section in the United app. Is your passport entered and showing travel ready?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by flynspill
Is your passport entered and showing travel ready?
Yep, it is. I’ll just be patient now. Thanks all!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:16 am

I’ve done a similar routing at least 6 times this year, xxx-fra-den, with xxx-fra being a mix of LH, LX all on 016 stock.

It can be a little finicky and I’ve not noticed any linkage between checkin or first flight (I don’t check bags). I’ve been able to checkin all the way through with Bp’s 24hrs in advance and not until I get to fra.

it seems best luck is to check into lh app first. Then go to United.

in any event you will want the United boarding pass because at the transfer prior to border control and to Z gates, they will just wave you on to border agents rather than check passport etc. it’s not a huge timesaver but sometimes every min counts.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks everyone. One last question… when dropping off bags at OPO in the morning, will I be able to check them all the way through to DEN? Presumably I’d need to be checked into FRA-DEN for the bag to be loaded.
You should be able to check your bag thru to final destination - no problem.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:22 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I thought it was once the Lufthansa flight takes off, but I may be mistaken on that.
IIRC, it is when LH tells UA that the coupon associated with the flight has been lifted which theoretically could be as soon as you are boarded but is more likely communicated when LH closes out the flight in normal circumstances. The flight taking off is probably a reasonable proxy as long as all else is normal behind the scenes.

How long is the connection at FRA? Since these are on the same ticket there's no requirement that you be checked in, however if your connection is long enough that LH thinks it looks more like a stopover than a connection that may pose a wrinkle. When checking your bag make sure to mention to the agent your final destination & check the tag to see how it's tagged. If you run into any issues the transfer desk at FRA is probably going to be the most helpful.
drewguy and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
How long is the connection at FRA? Since these are on the same ticket there's no requirement that you be checked in, however if your connection is long enough that LH thinks it looks more like a stopover than a connection that may pose a wrinkle. When checking your bag make sure to mention to the agent your final destination & check the tag to see how it's tagged. If you run into any issues the transfer desk at FRA is probably going to be the most helpful.
The connection is just 1h50 (arriving at A gates, departing from Z gates). I’ll make sure bags are tagged through to DEN. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Rest assured hundreds if not thousands of flyers do XXX-FRA-USA connections like this every day and it works without incident, both checking luggage and getting BPs. The only people who notice anything curious are ones like you and other FTers who try to check in online and encounter this rather typical challenge of getting a UA BP in the UA app when the first flight is a partner airline.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks for the heads up - changing flights in FRA next month . . . good to know.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
IIRC, it is when LH tells UA that the coupon associated with the flight has been lifted which theoretically could be as soon as you are boarded but is more likely communicated when LH closes out the flight in normal circumstances. The flight taking off is probably a reasonable proxy as long as all else is normal behind the scenes.
This has been my experience as well -- I've found that some stations are better than others at getting the information into the system... The only time I've not gotten the BP to show up on the app is when I would get the dreaded SSSS....
SPN Lifer, lincolnjkc and drewguy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.