Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus (EI) award booking experiences using UA miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus (EI) award booking experiences using UA miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:08 pm

United.com Not Showing Aer Lingus Biz Space?

I've noticed that united.com doesn't show aer lingus business award space even though expertflyer says there's a seat available (economy shows up fine on UA website, though). Does anyone know if this is an issue with the UA site? I know avios.com may show aer lingus space that's not bookable by partners because it's within their own program, but i was under the impression that expertflyer only displays award space that's available to partners. If a seat shows on EF, partners should see it too. Wondering if anyone has any experience or info about this!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by darkice81
i was under the impression that expertflyer only displays award space that's available to partners
What gave you this impression?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Wow, I didn't know this thread existed. Wish I had seen this before my disaster booking attempt last October.

Night before the devaluation (10/31), I figured I should book the trip I had been planning on taking anyway, so I transferred 50k UR points to United and booked MCI-DUB with the TA leg in a Polaris seat - which was the main attraction - and a LHR-DUB connection in EI business that I thought nothing of. Didn't think to check for a confirmation and sure enough, it was cancelled a couple days later. Called UA and they couldn't get it back or let me change to a different itinerary without paying the higher-mileage price, as the devaluation had happened in the interim.

I'm currently wishing I had those points back in my UR account, as there are other things I'm going to book through Chase this year that I'm going to need to supplement with cash while my miles collect dust in my United account.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Phantom Award Availability - Are Lingus

Mod...Please merge with existing thread if appropriate .

I'm trying to change an existing one way TATL saver Y award flight to BRU-NYC for 3 family members. UA search shows BRU-DUB-JFK availability on Aer Lingus. When I try to book, the process mostly goes through and I see the flights under "My Trip" along with a note to contact UA to have ticket reissued, and I also have received the email below. Twice, I've booked and called UA to have ticket reissued...both times, they say that Aer Lingus hasn't confirmed availability. It still shows available on united,com. I'm well aware of phantom availability, but this is true of a variety of EI flights on the UA site..I've confirmed that they have 'T' space available...What are my options? Should I ask UA to contract EI directly? escalate to a supervisor and ask them to open saver Y on the BRU-EWR UA nonstop? or am I SOL?

Action required to confirm change
There was an error processing you request. We’ve changed your flight, but must reissue your ticket. You won’t be able to check in to your flight until this issue has been resolved.
Please contact us at 1-855-426-5560 for details and have your confirmation number available.

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Generally with phantom inventory, there is little that can be done, Sometimes an agent can help, sometimes waiting a few days tings work, but generally nothing works.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Want to book ticket using UA miles on Aer Lingus. Traveling LHR-DUB-AMS. Want to travel with infant in lap. Per Aer Lingus' website it lists infant as 20 Euro fee per segment. So if I book on UA's website with UA miles how do I make sure I am all kosher? Does UA ticket the infant? Do I call Aer Lingus with the PNR and have them add the infant? Any tips?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Want to book ticket using UA miles on Aer Lingus. Traveling LHR-DUB-AMS. Want to travel with infant in lap. Per Aer Lingus' website it lists infant as 20 Euro fee per segment. So if I book on UA's website with UA miles how do I make sure I am all kosher? Does UA ticket the infant? Do I call Aer Lingus with the PNR and have them add the infant? Any tips?
May as well throw this in while we're at it - has anyone had experiences with CPUs clearing on the EI domestic routes (i.e. LHR > DUB)? I understand UA doesn't normally clear CPUs on award tickets but thought this peculiarity might trip up their system like it does for Aeroplan issued tickets.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
call EI
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
... has anyone had experiences with CPUs clearing on the EI domestic routes (i.e. LHR > DUB)? ...
There is no concept of CPU for EI operated flights. UA could not do upgrades on EI operated flights

Originally Posted by j2simpso
...I understand UA doesn't normally clear CPUs on award tickets but thought this peculiarity might trip up their system like it does for Aeroplan issued tickets. ...
Not sure what might happen on UA operated flights has to do with an EI operated flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
call EI
Will call UA and EI and let you all know what I discover.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:18 am
O62

So I’m kind of torn after reading this thread and need some advice. I currently have a business award ticket for 2 adults and an infant to Europe to Spain in spring with a good routing on UA and LH. However, Spain isn’t really where we want to go and it leaves on not the best dates for us. The United website is showing availability on EI for dates and the places we want to go. I’m worried if I change our flights to this and it is phantom availability, we’ll be left with no trip at all. What do to?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:28 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by O62
So I’m kind of torn after reading this thread and need some advice. I currently have a business award ticket for 2 adults and an infant to Europe to Spain in spring with a good routing on UA and LH. However, Spain isn’t really where we want to go and it leaves on not the best dates for us. The United website is showing availability on EI for dates and the places we want to go. I’m worried if I change our flights to this and it is phantom availability, we’ll be left with no trip at all. What do to?
You could call a UA agent to see if the flight looks real to them.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Is all EI inventory shown on united.com phantom, or just some?

I'm starting to think about a flight next year, but will investigate other options if the EI inventory shown is consistently 100% phony...

Well, every EI award flight I've seen on united.com appears to be bogus (none of that inventory shows up when I search the same route on aeroplan) so I guess it's 100% fake fake fake.
I wonder when the last time there was any real, bookable EI award inventory on united.com...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 2019 at 8:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Well, every EI award flight I've seen on united.com appears to be bogus (none of that inventory shows up when I search the same route on aeroplan) so I guess it's 100% fake fake fake.
I wonder when the last time there was any real, bookable EI award inventory on united.com...
AC isn't partners with EI, so no EI flights will appear via Aeroplan.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
AC isn't partners with EI, so no EI flights will appear via Aeroplan.
D'oh! Thanks for the correction. Well, I suppose that explains the consistent lack of results I found on Aeroplan (although I'm still skeptical).

So, before I become relieved that I dodged a bullet, what's the best way to validate that EI award inventory I see offered up on united.com is not phantom (because I still suspect it is)?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.