Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus (EI) award booking experiences using UA miles [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus (EI) award booking experiences using UA miles [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I've been worried about my TK biz award seats for later this year (geo politics and spotty reviews on inconsistent service in J) and have been contemplating rebooking with a DUB-BOS segment on EI but this thread has killed that notion. Why does UA even allow these "flights" to show up under award search?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:10 pm

I was hoping to put my parents on the LAX-DUB flight in the fall for their first real business class flight. I guess I'll give it a shot and then fall back on the Ethiopian flight
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Why does UA even allow these "flights" to show up under award search?
Because it's apparently not anyone at UA's job to care that they're screwing over their frequent flyers by offering phantom flights, and have been for literally years.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
Have you entered your ticket # on the Saudia website?

This offers a good way to get a complete picture of your booking - if you can decipher the information.
I can pull up the bookings by eticket number on the Saudia site, and it shows all the segments. The UA segments show a coupon status of "Open for use," while the EI segments show "Airport control," but from what I've read elsewhere, that can be normal.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by JonIND
I have a couple of ticketed reservations (one revenue, one award) booked on united.com that involve EI LHR-DUB and SNN-LHR flights. Both appeared to ticket just fine after a few hours of making the reservation. However, when I look up the EI PNRs on aerlingus.com using the Manage Trip function, I get the message "We couldn't find your booking."

Is this the sign of a potential problem, or is this behavior expected for itineraries that were not booked on EI's website?
I have a mixed UA/EI itinerary that has been booked for months. Does not show up on the EI website, but shows up on the Saudia website.

I did call EI once, just to confirm they had the booking and they said all was well.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I made an award and a revenue booking involving EI earlier today.

The award booking has ticketed already, with all segments (including the LHR-SNN and ORK-AMS ones operated by EI) showing up fine.

The revenue one has yet to ticket. This is the first time in a couple of years that I've experienced such a delay in ticketing--and for a revenue ticket?!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:06 pm

I just booked a multi-city trip on UA with various airlines using miles. Two of the flights operated by EI are giving me trouble. After clicking Purchase, it said there's an error and I need to call UA and I did.

The agent said the EI LHR-DUB and DUB-LHR flights are not confirmed and that the saver awards are not available for these flights. She suggested I booked these flights separately with EI. Without those segments, my total reservation turned out to cost a lot more. I don't want to spend more points and cash when it's clearly a mistake in their system.

When I look on United website and called EI, there are plenty of EI award flights available. What should I do? Agent said my reservation is being held for only 24 hours.

Last edited by Nate99; Nov 3, 2016 at 5:26 pm
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:19 pm

call United in 24 hours to pay taxes on an Aer Lingus award?

Is this the normal process? I found the flights on line, but when I tried to enter the passenger info, the web site wouldn't take the info. Called the web support to make the reservation. She said that because it is Aer Lingus, we have to call back tomorrow, and can pay the taxes only after Aer Lingus accepts and confirms the reservation. I'm confused about us having to call them. Is this normal?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Same problem here for me. Shows available on the web site, I book, am told to wait 24 hours. After 24 hours, I call in and am told that EI "denied the ticket" and "is still trying to sell those seats--it's a long ways out" (six weeks). Throughout the process the web site continued to show that availability on that day and others.

I sure wish UA would fix their site to show real availability, or, if it is real, actually allow us to book it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I've been worried about my TK biz award seats for later this year (geo politics and spotty reviews on inconsistent service in J) and have been contemplating rebooking with a DUB-BOS segment on EI but this thread has killed that notion. Why does UA even allow these "flights" to show up under award search?
Hardproduct-wise EI is the winner offering far greater privacy than TK. However, I do find that TK is far better on the soft product, especially catering.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

any recent experience with EI awards? They are listing IAD-DUB as available on their website, but I can't seem to find anything that matches on Avios.com or Qantas... so most likely phantom???

thanks
FDW
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
any recent experience with EI awards? They are listing IAD-DUB as available on their website, but I can't seem to find anything that matches on Avios.com or Qantas... so most likely phantom???

thanks
FDW
have you checked EF? Why not try and book it and see if it tickets?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:08 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cfischer
have you checked EF? Why not try and book it and see if it tickets?
EF does list availability but do they just pull from UA?

I don't have enough miles so would have to transfer...

FDW
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:06 pm

Saw partner inventory - moved Chase pts - partner not honoring inventory? What to do

On United’s website they have shown 70k business award travel for many international routes. Most are with their partner airlines but their ticketing system allowed me to book them. Once I saw this, I moved my Chase Sapphire points to United and the transaction was completed. Within a few minutes, I received a notice saying that United had to clear the flight with the other airline and it was rejected 24hours later. I have tried many times and the same thing happens for several different routes. I have learned that Aer Lingus is not a code-chair so they are rejecting mileage seats in hopes for more revenue seats be purchased. I could have moved my Chase Sapphire points to Aer Lingus and booked from there but didn’t because I have some United miles in my account. I have called United to reverse my miles back to Chase but was told there is no protocol for that transaction. Now I am stuck. Have you heard this happening before? By some miracle do you have an idea to help me, I would love to hear it.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat
There is an extensive thread on UA EI ticketing problems.

In general, it sounds like you saw phantom inventory (there were never any award seats). You can ask UA to ask EI to open seats but that's a real long shot. Or just book a connecting itin on UA. Lastly, IIRC UR transfers can be reversed. It's extremely rare but your circumstance would certainly qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.