Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by benfro6
But they do use them on lengthy Hawaiian routes, which is possibly even worse!
That's not what the original question was -- but it doesn't matter given this context -- versus a 737 -- no brainer.... On a flight home to Tokyo -- nope.... The issue pointed out by Unitedloyalflyer was seat length and foot space -- I do agree that they are marginally better on this configuration -- but for a longer flight I would still choose Polaris every single time..... If I had no choice versus a 737/757 - ok I get it if my wife and I could get 2 seats together -- but these are seriously old planes and the seat padding while once great -- not so much now....
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by benfro6
But they do use them on lengthy Hawaiian routes, which is possibly even worse!
They are all around similar flying distances.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
They are all around similar flying distances.
EWR/IAD/ORD/IAH to Hawaii is significantly longer than a transcon.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
UA doesn't use the 772HD from EWR or IAD. I believe you may still see it on ORD or IAH.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I was talking about similar distances as in SFO/LAX-HNL/KOA/OGG vs. SFO/LAX-EWR

I don't believe UA uses HD for longer distances Hawaii routes.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 4:38 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA

Sadly, they do:
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

UA was using the HD almost exclusively out of ORD, IAH, and DEN to Hawaii pre-pandemic. I think UA will s reverting. Unfortunately nayely got ps customers (and some who want to ride in PE), one of its frequent uses is EWR-LAX-HNL. I wonder if Maui cancelations have resulted in their presence on ps routes more frequently?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
SFO-EWR equipment swap at the 40 hour mark

At 40 hours before departure I got an app notification of a new seat assignment due to equipment swap. Polaris configured 772 became a 777-HD and they moved me from a window to an aisle. Not great, better than being bumped to coach, but still not cool UA.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by djmp
At 40 hours before departure I got an app notification of a new seat assignment due to equipment swap. Polaris configured 772 became a 777-HD and they moved me from a window to an aisle. Not great, better than being bumped to coach, but still not cool UA.
It's actually quite possible (likely) that this equipment swap & seat change occurred long before you received the app notification. I have had a bunch of premium transcons switch from 772 to 777HD months before the flight, and I never receive any notifications of any kind; I just see the swap when I look weekly at all of my reservations. Do you keep regular watch of your reservations?
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Have seen quite a few 752 --> 753 recently. Not good.
ContinentalFan, Repooc17 and UAFAM like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by cfischer
On premium transcon route? And as a schedule change, not IRROPS?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Happen a lot on the 9 pm EWR-SFO
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
It's actually quite possible (likely) that this equipment swap & seat change occurred long before you received the app notification. I have had a bunch of premium transcons switch from 772 to 777HD months before the flight, and I never receive any notifications of any kind; I just see the swap when I look weekly at all of my reservations. Do you keep regular watch of your reservations?
But the minute UA upgrades your Y seat to J on a 737 from ATL to IAH, you get a text message and email expressing UA’s excitement. Same type of notification should - and could very easily - ensue when your seat downgrades from flatbed to old school Continental recliner.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
It was a late swap as I booked 2 weeks ago and was watching daily for better seats to open up. The 777HD is a miserable ride, rubbing shoulders with the adjacent passenger for 5 hours is not what I signed up for. Oh, and for extra fun, the 9/14 return EWR-SFO canceled 5 minutes before boarding due to a mechanical. UA is a mess these days.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA is a mess these days.
To be fair, none of the domestic carriers are running a particularly slick operation these days. But the 772 HD swap is a real bummer. UA knows with its oh-so-tight scheduling that this will happen some meaningful percentage of the time. It's a risk their management is willing to take

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.